Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Minor League Transactions

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: 2018 Minor League Transactions

Quote Originally Posted by ochoa30 View Post
    Wasnt really, he should be in AA but my point was more so that the reds promote quite slowly compared to many other orgs. You could look at a player like Albies as well. He was no better then Taylor has been and they kept pushing him up. Taylor has a way better plate approach as well then both of the Braves kids. Soto is just a freak.
    No, they really don't.

The guys you keep bringing up are elite, elite, elite level guys. Guys that the Reds haven't had the likes of in a long time. When Jay Bruce was obliterating the minor leagues the Reds pushed him hard and fast. When Tony Cingrani was obliterating the minors the Reds pushed him hard and fast. Fact is, the Reds don't tend to have guys like that too often - because it's rare that you've got a guy who is that level of both a prospect and a performer at the same time.

Also, Ozzie Albies was hitting .321 in Double-A at an age when Taylor Trammell was hitting under .300 in Dayton. I'm a huge Taylor Trammell fan. I think he's a potential future All-Star. He shouldn't be compared to Ozzie Albies.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    No, they really don't.

The guys you keep bringing up are elite, elite, elite level guys. Guys that the Reds haven't had the likes of in a long time. When Jay Bruce was obliterating the minor leagues the Reds pushed him hard and fast. When Tony Cingrani was obliterating the minors the Reds pushed him hard and fast. Fact is, the Reds don't tend to have guys like that too often - because it's rare that you've got a guy who is that level of both a prospect and a performer at the same time.
    So you think moving Siri up over Trammel makes sense? Trammel is 20 and has put up the best offensive numbers of just about anyone in the org this year in a notoriously tough league to hit in. What am I missing? Seems to me hes about the closest the reds have had to a Bruce type talent not including Senzel

So you think moving Siri up over Trammel makes sense? Trammel is 20 and has put up the best offensive numbers of just about anyone in the org this year in a notoriously tough league to hit in. What am I missing? Seems to me hes about the closest the reds have had to a Bruce type talent not including Senzel
    I said nowhere in this thread that it makes sense.

What I said is that the Reds aren't a slow promoting team.

And here's what you are missing in relation to Bruce/Trammell comparison: Bruce was a better fielder at the time, and was hitting .325/.379/.586 in the same league at the same age with 27 doubles, 5 triples, and 11 home runs at the midseason point before he was promoted. Then he killed Double-A for 3 weeks and they promoted him to Triple-A, where he also killed it for the remaining 50 games of the season. I like Taylor Trammell a lot. He's not on par at this point with where Jay Bruce was, and frankly it's not particularly close.

Taylor Trammell is having a very good year. Bruce and those other guys mentioned that were pushed incredibly hard through the minors? They were having insane years. Trying to compare one to the other just doesn't work.

Also, Ozzie Albies was hitting .321 in Double-A at an age when Taylor Trammell was hitting under .300 in Dayton. I'm a huge Taylor Trammell fan. I think he's a potential future All-Star. He shouldn't be compared to Ozzie Albies.
    Batting average, who uses batting average. Trammell is known for his obp, approach, and the power he is expected to grow into. Batting average, psshaw

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Batting average, who uses batting average. Trammell is known for his obp, approach, and the power he is expected to grow into. Batting average, psshaw
    OK cool. Ozzie Albies was hitting .321/.391/.467 as a 19-year-old in Double-A while Trammell was hitting .281/.368/.450 in Low-A.

Is that better?

Trammel is two years younger than Friedl and Siri.

I think that's the main reason.

Reds probably think it's unnecessary to send a 20 year old player to AA this soon.

Baseball Reference shows him 2.5 years younger than the (weighted) average player at A+. He'd be even younger in comparison to the average AA guy.

I doubt it's anything more than that.

OK cool. Ozzie Albies was hitting .321/.391/.467 as a 19-year-old in Double-A while Trammell was hitting .281/.368/.450 in Low-A.

Is that better?
    Shouldnt it matter that Albies had been a professional for 3 years by that point? Trammel was in his first full year. I feel like it's a pretty solid comparison. I get the age arguments when were talking 2+ years but not one year. There are other circumstances at play here and Trammel has done nothing but improve this year. Also, I never compared him to Acuna or Soto, only that he would be promoted more quickly in those orgs. Case in point Carter Kieboom going up to AA today with similar numbers to Trammel

Shouldnt it matter that Albies had been a professional for 3 years by that point? Trammel was in his first full year. I feel like it's a pretty solid comparison. I get the age arguments when were talking 2+ years but not one year. There are other circumstances at play here and Trammel has done nothing but improve this year. Also, I never compared him to Acuna or Soto, only that he would be promoted more quickly in those orgs. Case in point Carter Kieboom going up to AA today with similar numbers to Trammel
    Look, I think that Trammell should have been promoted today.... but citing the lack of promotion, literally today, as proof that the Reds are slow promoters doesn't work. They aren't. They may not be the Braves, who are incredibly aggressive promoters, but by comparison to most of baseball - the Reds do it like everyone else does.

Look, I think that Trammell should have been promoted today.... but citing the lack of promotion, literally today, as proof that the Reds are slow promoters doesn't work. They aren't. They may not be the Braves, who are incredibly aggressive promoters, but by comparison to most of baseball - the Reds do it like everyone else does.
    That's fair but this is not some opinion I thought up today. I've thought this for a while. I'm sure it doesnt help that the ML team is awful. Makes me want to see the kids pushed harder. Patience is hard, lol.

Wish all you minor league followers good luck tonight keeping track of 7 different games plus the Reds.

Full plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Wish all you minor league followers good luck tonight keeping track of 7 different games plus the Reds.

Full plate.
    I'm just glad the AZL Reds game doesn't start at 1045 tonight like it did last night..... The Brewers are the only team in the league that starts that late and I'm filing a petition to have them kicked out of the league.

13. Likes:

corkedbat (06-21-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

Full plate.
    Dont forget the Florida game for those of us trying to watch India. Plus the NBA draft. Oh man, gonna be a good night.

15. Likes:

Kc61 (06-21-2018)

Is that better?
    Sure or you could compare there A league seasons in which Trammell was only 4 months older in A when he put up .281/.368/.450 compared to Albies' .310/.368/.404. But I was only making the argument to tease you about using BA.

Albies turned 18 in January of the year in which he played in Low-A. He was 18-years, 4 months when that season began.

Trammell turned 19 in September the year before the season in which he played in Low-A. He was 19-years, 7 months when that season began.

That's a full year and 3 months older.

Albies turned 18 in January of the year in which he played in Low-A. He was 18-years, 4 months when that season began.

Trammell turned 19 in September the year before the season in which he played in Low-A. He was 19-years, 7 months when that season began.

That's a full year and 3 months older.
    I didn't know there would be so much math this late in my day.

Turn Off Ads?