Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: At what point...

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: At what point...

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    A GM should never go to the press to talk about a player's health with only what the player told him himself about his own health. A GM never take any action based only on what a player has told him about his own health. He should always consult his staff and all data they have.

Again, Williams needed to talk to his scouts, trainers, medical personal about Disco before talking to the media about his health. If he did do that, that means the Reds missed something, which is problematic. If he did not do that, that itself is problematic.
    Like I said, JTC.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Lol, I love this place. You guys never disappoint.

4. Likes:

Hoosier Red (03-13-2018)

A GM should never go to the press to talk about a player's health with only what the player told him himself about his own health. A GM never take any action based only on what a player has told him about his own health. He should always consult his staff and all data they have.

Again, Williams needed to talk to his scouts, trainers, medical personal about Disco before talking to the media about his health. If he did do that, that means the Reds missed something, which is problematic. If he did not do that, that itself is problematic.
    Why does it matter to you so much to you? Who is setting these made up rules of what a GM should and should not say? At this point it seems like everyone complains when he talks, so perhaps he should crawl into a hole, not speak, and then you can get really fired up because he is avoiding the media.

If he says "let me speak with the trainers" then you will be complaining about that response and will speculate injury, if he says he is fine, which is probably what he knew at that point in time, and perhaps he had heard from Disco and the trainers, he is not doing his duty. So the only option is to stop talking. Personally I have enjoyed DW being a bit more open with the media than past GM's. Not to mention, whether Dick consulted the staff or not in this moment of time before answering the question will have no impact on the health of the player and that is what is really important here. If the mechanics were off, that is on Price, the pitching coach, the other coaches, the catcher, to make notice and address is appropriately.
    Last edited by Griffey012; 03-13-2018 at 07:11 PM.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    JTC.

Brantley never said what didn't look right about DeSclafani (and seriously, everyone, is it really so much trouble to type out DeSclafani instead of Disco?), just that "he didn't look right". And he kept harping over and over about the velocity being low and "body language". Maybe, and call me crazy mccrazy pants, it's possible that Brantley saw the radar readings and then read into the body language because of it.
    Very possible. I believe we call that observation bias. Well know thing that happens.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Why does it matter to you so much to you? Who is setting these made up rules of what a GM should and should not say? At this point it seems like everyone complains when he talks, so perhaps he should crawl into a hole, not speak, and then you can get really fired up because he is avoiding the media.

If he says "let me speak with the trainers" then you will be complaining about that response and will speculate injury, if he says he is fine, which is probably what he knew at that point in time, and perhaps he had head from Disco and the trainers, he is not doing his duty. So the only option is to stop talking. Personally I have enjoyed DW being a bit more open with the media than past GM's. Not to mention, whether Dick consulted the staff or not in this moment of time before answering the question will have no impact on the health of the player and that is what is really important here. If the mechanics were off, that is on Price, the pitching coach, the other coaches, the catcher, to make notice and address is appropriately.
    The point of this thread is to discuss how well the Reds handle their player’s health. A player, Disco, had a health problem and I am discussing how the Reds handled it. If they missed something wrong while he was pitching, it would mean he pitched with an injury when he should not have. That’s why I care.

As for the rest of your post, it’s utter nonsense, on the verge of being a personal attack. It’s absurd speculation, projecting the worst possoble response from me, assuming the worst about me. Most importantly, it’s 100% incorrect. I’ll just ignore it and move on.
    Last edited by 757690; 03-13-2018 at 06:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    This team is like watching Zero Hour and thinking you are watching Airplane and waiting for the funny.

me watching the Reds... Bob Sheed's Avatar

The point of this thread is to discuss how well the Reds handle their player’s health.
    poorly.

And how can we describe the radar gun?

not accurate.

OK, how about Dick's interpretation of the injury?

dead wrong either due to deliberate falsehood or poorly gathered information.

"Yes but other teams are just as bad..."

Oh ok, that makes it all better...

9. Likes:

Kinsm (03-13-2018)

The point of this thread is to discuss how well the Reds handle their player’s health. A player, Disco, had a health problem and I am discussing how the Reds handled it. If they missed something wrong while he was pitching, it would mean he pitched with an injury when he should not have. That’s why I care.

As for the rest of your post, it’s utter nonsense, on the verge of being a personal attack. It’s absurd speculation, projecting the worst possoble response from me, assuming the worst about me. Most importantly, it’s 100% incorrect. I’ll just ignore it and move on.
    By "they" you seem to really be zooming in on some statements made by Dick Williams to the broadcast team. Dick Williams plays a very disconnected role in handling a players health. That disconnected role would be mostly related to making the managerial decisions of who is in charge of training, player health, etc. So if the concern is about how the Reds organization is handling players health the focus should be on a lot more beyond a few comments by the GM during a game.

If your concern is the fact that Disco may have been pitching while injured, I share your concern, pitchers hiding injuries seems to be a recurring theme with the Reds that should not continue to occur, if it did occur in this case. That being said, that issue is very likely not a direct result of DW calling in to the broadcast booth before consulting the medical team or after consulting the medical team.

As far as the rest of my comments you have already spent quite a few posts complaining about that fact Dick called in and said Disco was fine, so that portion of my post is already 50% accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    By "they" you seem to really be zooming in on some statements made by Dick Williams to the broadcast team. Dick Williams plays a very disconnected role in handling a players health. That disconnected role would be mostly related to making the managerial decisions of who is in charge of training, player health, etc. So if the concern is about how the Reds organization is handling players health the focus should be on a lot more beyond a few comments by the GM during a game.

If your concern is the fact that Disco may have been pitching while injured, I share your concern, pitchers hiding injuries seems to be a recurring theme with the Reds that should not continue to occur, if it did occur in this case. That being said, that issue is very likely not a direct result of DW calling in to the broadcast booth before consulting the medical team or after consulting the medical team.

As far as the rest of my comments you have already spent quite a few posts complaining about that fact Dick called in and said Disco was fine, so that portion of my post is already 50% accurate.
    The comments Williams made are very telling and very revealing about the Reds entire staff, and how they handled Disco's injury. I already explained how. If you want to understand how, I suggest you re-read my previous posts.
    This team is like watching Zero Hour and thinking you are watching Airplane and waiting for the funny.

I suggest you stop trying to connect dots and saying they are proof rather than speculation. But that's just my opinion.

I suggest you stop trying to connect dots and saying they are proof rather than speculation. But that's just my opinion.
    I’ve never said anything about proof. I’m laying out the logical possibilities based on what we do know.

I’ve never said anything about proof. I’m laying out the logical possibilities based on what we do know.
    No, that's not what you did.

No, that's not what you did.
    It is what I did... literally

If it was not, then show me what I did do.
    Last edited by 757690; 03-13-2018 at 09:48 PM.

I've explained to you multiple times how you connecting dots didn't mean facts, and you didn't get it then, either.

I've explained to you multiple times how you connecting dots didn't mean facts, and you didn't get it then, either.
    I connected zero dots, and asserted zero conclusions or fact. Again, I simply laid out the possibilities based on what we know. And all of the possibilities were worrisome.

Turn Off Ads?