Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Future Reds HOF'er Brandon Phillips

Re: Future Reds HOF'er Brandon Phillips

Brandon Phillips, who Boston Red Sox signed to minor league contract, to play second and third base for Pawtucket
    Updated Jun 28, 7:01 PM; Posted Jun 28, 7:00 PM

https://www.masslive.com/redsox/inde...boston_re.html

BOSTON -- Brandon Phillips, who the Red Sox signed to a minor league contract Wednesday, won't exclusively play third base for Triple-A Pawtucket.

The Athletics' Ken Rosenthal tweeted that Phillips will play third base for Pawtucket.

"He played third last year for the Angels," Red Sox manager Alex Cora said. "One of the conversations I had with Dave (Dombrowski), he'll play second and third. But we've got to be patient first of all. He just got signed. He's in Fort Myers. Get in playing shape and go from there."

Phillips, who turned 37 on Thursday, hasn't played in the majors or minor leagues this year. He slashed .285/.319/.416/.735 with 13 homers, 34 doubles, one triple and 60 RBIs last year for the Braves and Angels.

He has played almost his entire career at second base (1,826 games).

"He's a good player," Cora said. "I saw him last year playing and he looked fine. Brandon is a veteran. Obviously he's older. He's not as quick as he used to be. But he can still turn double plays. He can make the plays."

Red Sox bench coach Ron Roenicke served as Angels bench coach last year. So he received a more extensive look at Phillips.

"Ron was telling me he played a decent third base last year," Cora said. "That's the good thing about this organization. We try to get better regardless. We know our situation here at the big league level and we're happy with it. But at the same time, if something happens, we have capable guys. ... He's one of those guys." Phillips provides insurance in case Dustin Pedroia (knee) is unable to return from the disabled list and Eduardo Nunez continues to struggle.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

2. Turn Off Ads?

"That's the good thing about this organization. We try to get better regardless."

As a Reds fan, this sentence reads like gibberish to me. Seems like English, but I can't be sure. Can anyone translate?
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 06-29-2018 at 01:00 PM.

4. Likes:

M2 (06-29-2018),REDREAD (07-13-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    "That's the good thing about this organization. We try to get better regardless."

As a Reds fan, this sentence reads like gibberish to me. Seems like English, but I can't be sure. Can anyone translate?
    You mean it's not about what level of bad is good enough?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

6. Likes:

REDREAD (07-13-2018)

We don't know if the Sox inquired about Scooter. We do know they elected to 'cover their bases' with a minor league contract to a 37 year old who hasn't played this year. I doubt they were willing to trade top prospects for a premium replacement. I maintain that it is getting harder to pry loose top prospects.

8. Likes:

Big Klu (06-29-2018)

Red Sox on CLNS
    @RedSoxCLNS

Brandon Phillips SMOKED a 3-0 pitch for a measly 430ft bomb over the scoreboard in Lowell tonight. 💪🏻 🔥

https://twitter.com/RedSoxCLNS/statu...15781082517504
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

10. Likes:

'69 (07-30-2018),goreds2 (07-09-2018),jimbo (07-09-2018),REDREAD (07-13-2018),Revering4Blue (07-10-2018)

Because it's Sunday and there's no trade rumors swirling for our Redlegs, I'm just gonna put this out here because it made me raise an eyebrow the other day. From The Athletic in regards to the 2009 acquisition of Rolen:

Rolen was the consummate professional and unquestioned leader of a team from the moment he stepped on the field.

“When he first came, he’d run to his position every inning, what he did during (batting practice), guys took notice, including our second baseman,” Jocketty said.
    "including our second baseman"
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

12. Likes:

Redeyecat (07-29-2018),reds44 (07-29-2018)

That’s a really solid article in general, but that made me raise an eyebrow for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Not sure BP needed to be singled out and thrown under the bus like that 9 years later, but whatever Walt. I didn't see what all went on behind the scenes every day, but geesh. Then again, maybe BP would fully agree looking back on it and that Walt was right and that Rolen changed how he approached things.

15. Likes:

jimbo (07-30-2018),REDREAD (07-30-2018)

Did he say that because of who was asking the question?

What a weird thing to just throw in there.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Did he say that because of who was asking the question?

What a weird thing to just throw in there.
    If you have a real turd employee, it's something that sticks with you. I know the fans loved him, but he always seemed like a guy that could drive management nuts.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

It wasn't the fans that decided to extend him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    It wasn't the fans that decided to extend him.
    If I remember correctly, the owner was the driving force in that?
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Fly View Post
    If I remember correctly, the owner was the driving force in that?
    Is there actual proof that this was the case?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

BP admitted that Rolen taught him what it was to be and act like a major leaguer. Votto has said the same thing. And BP did have a reputation that came with him from Cleveland, which was one of the reported reasons why Cleveland traded him.

The beat writers had a difficult time with him before the Rolen trade, and wrote about it plenty. That went away when the Reds got a Rolen, and that is also the same time BP became more media savvy, a fan favorite and buddies with Jim Day.

I’m not sure this is that big of a deal, or a new revelation.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

22. Likes:

Bob Sheed (07-30-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    BP admitted that Rolen taught him what it was to be and act like a major leaguer. Votto has said the same thing. And BP did have a reputation that came with him from Cleveland, which was one of the reported reasons why Cleveland traded him.

The beat writers had a difficult time with him before the Rolen trade, and wrote about it plenty. That went away when the Reds got a Rolen, and that is also the same time BP became more media savvy, a fan favorite and buddies with Jim Day.

I’m not sure this is that big of a deal, or a new revelation.
    BP stopped talking to the local media guys at all, after the Rolen trade so I don’t know what you’re talking about.

Turn Off Ads?