Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
Results 226 to 240 of 426

Thread: Bryan Price Needs to Go III: End This Already

  1. #226
    Member Kinsm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1,178

    Re: Bryan Price Needs to Go III: End This Already

    Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Guys, it's not Price. It's injuries. Give me Lorenzen, and Hernandez in the bullpen and Disco and Finnegan in the rotation, and Suarez and Schebler and Winker every day in the lineup and this team is at .500. Finnegan's there now but he's not sharp because of the lost year and abbreviated spring training. And speaking of abbreviated spring's, Castillo wasn't ready either.
    June and July will be much better.
    You're basing that on what? A half dozen other players will likely be injured at that time.

  2. Likes:

    REDREAD (04-16-2018)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #227
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    4,501

    Re: Bryan Price Needs to Go III: End This Already

    Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Only the Reds would go with a 3 man bench.. Nuts..
    it really is. Facing the worst start in franchise history, and still making the same head-scratching moves/non-moves that we've come to know and love.

    Maybe the tank is already on. They're playing like it is.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

  5. Likes:

    REDREAD (04-16-2018)

  6. #228
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    21,099

    Re: Bryan Price Needs to Go III: End This Already

    Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    So here is a thought.

    Winker has been hurt and was unable to swing a bat all series. He last played Thursday. After he was scratched on Friday, Price said this:
    https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/jesse-...er/c-272080668



    So today, Winker instead of a pitcher was used to pinch run in the 9th.

    Now if the Reds put Winker on the DL tomorrow to have a roster move to activate Schebler, they will not be able to backdate the start date. If they don't DL him, no harm but if they do how dumb can you get.
    Youre making it harder for Price to do his job.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  7. #229
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    1,765

    Re: Bryan Price Needs to Go III: End This Already

    Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    So you’re saying what? Use your words.
    Price should be expected to win despite injuries to numerous key players? Or it’s Price’s fault these guys got injured?

  8. #230
    Moderator The Operator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Carlisle, OH
    Posts
    6,704

    Re: Bryan Price Needs to Go III: End This Already

    Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    So you’re saying what? Use your words.
    Price should be expected to win despite injuries to numerous key players? Or it’s Price’s fault these guys got injured?
    Absolutely nobody is blaming this entire mess on Price. Dick Williams put this dumpster fire together and he's also the one that for multiple seasons now has depended too heavily on previously injured pitchers and/or had to rush young pitchers due to injuries he should have been prepared for. That's all on Dick and his total inability to take any form of action other than sitting on his hands waiting for every single young player to become All Star caliber all at once.

    BUT, since we can't fire Dick for political reasons let's focus on something we CAN fix.

    Bryan Price continually makes absolutely baffling decisions regarding bullpen use, in game strategy, and the "lessons" he likes to teach the young starting pitchers dating back multiple years now.

    This whole team (practically) is basically sleepwalking.

    When an entire team underperforms this badly, you have to start looking at the managerial and coaching staff.
    Last edited by The Operator; 04-16-2018 at 01:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    "[Price] said he and the GM have become “somewhat in lockstep” with how they view the best way forward for the team, including how to handle promotions and playing young players while also trying to win games."

  9. Likes:

    alwaysawarrior (04-16-2018),GaiusBallstar (04-16-2018),Kinsm (04-16-2018),M2 (04-16-2018),MR X (04-16-2018),REDREAD (04-16-2018),Redsfaithful (04-16-2018),RedsfaninMT (04-16-2018)

  10. #231
    Someday Never Comes mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    21,297

    Re: Bryan Price Needs to Go III: End This Already

    You guys put a lot more significance on the manager than I do. I'm firmly in the "it won't matter until they fix the roster" category. I'd be fine dumping Price, but I think everyone will disappointed to see that the new lipstick doesn't change the fact that it's still a pig. The other thing that I really don't agree with is the whole coaches thing. By the time these guys are big leaguers, coaches aren't going to change them much. There are a few things. Maybe a coach at 3B who is always getting guys thrown out needs to be changed, but changing the guy who hits fungos to the outfielders before the game isn't going to do anything. The only way to make this team better is to change out some of the players for better ones.

    They are in an offensive slump which will end with or without Price. Votto will hit. Schebler and Suarez will help when they return. Others will heat up. Otherwise, they aren't really underperforming. They just need better guys.

    Go ahead and make a change if it makes everyone feel better. It's polishing out the scratch in your drivers door while your engine is failing but I guess it's better to not have the scratch.
    Last edited by mth123; 04-16-2018 at 06:45 AM.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

  11. Likes:

    bucksfan2 (04-16-2018)

  12. #232
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Pook's Hill
    Posts
    2,023

    Re: Bryan Price Needs to Go III: End This Already

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    You guys put a lot more significance on the manager than I do. I'm firmly in the "it won't matter until they fix the roster" category. I'd be fine dumping Price, but I think everyone will disappointed to see that the new lipstick doesn't change the fact that it's still a pig. The other thing that I really don't agree with is the whole coaches thing. By the time these guys are big leaguers, coaches aren't going to change them much. There are a few things. Maybe a coach at 3B who is always getting guys thrown out needs to be changed, but changing the guy who hits fungos to the outfielders before the game isn't going to do anything. The only way to make this team better is to change out some of the players for better ones.

    They are in an offensive slump which will end with or without Price. Votto will hit. Schebler and Suarez will help when they return. Others will heat up. Otherwise, they aren't really underperforming. They just need better guys.

    Go ahead and make a change if it makes everyone feel better. It's polishing out the scratch in your drivers door while your engine is failing but I guess it's better to not have the scratch.
    It's what, year 5 of the rebuild? And they are still appear to be trending downward. The entire organization needs a cleansing. Price may not be the biggest problem, but he hasn't given any reason to believe he is part of the solution either.

  13. Likes:

    M2 (04-16-2018),REDREAD (04-16-2018)

  14. #233
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: Bryan Price Needs to Go III: End This Already

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    You guys put a lot more significance on the manager than I do. I'm firmly in the "it won't matter until they fix the roster" category. I'd be fine dumping Price, but I think everyone will disappointed to see that the new lipstick doesn't change the fact that it's still a pig. The other thing that I really don't agree with is the whole coaches thing. By the time these guys are big leaguers, coaches aren't going to change them much. There are a few things. Maybe a coach at 3B who is always getting guys thrown out needs to be changed, but changing the guy who hits fungos to the outfielders before the game isn't going to do anything. The only way to make this team better is to change out some of the players for better ones.

    They are in an offensive slump which will end with or without Price. Votto will hit. Schebler and Suarez will help when they return. Others will heat up. Otherwise, they aren't really underperforming. They just need better guys.

    Go ahead and make a change if it makes everyone feel better. It's polishing out the scratch in your drivers door while your engine is failing but I guess it's better to not have the scratch.
    This fanbase needs to see that someone above cares. Keeping Bryan Price around shows that they don't. I don't care if it won't make a 1-win difference or not. It will show Joe Reds Fan that the front office is willing to try something different, and that actually matters. Right now, there's flat out apathy with this team and organization. And it's April 16th. You've got to do something.

  15. Likes:

    dubc47834 (04-16-2018),M2 (04-16-2018),ochoa30 (04-16-2018),REDREAD (04-16-2018),RedsfaninMT (04-16-2018),StRedlegs900 (04-16-2018),texasdave (04-16-2018),The Operator (04-16-2018),Tom Servo (04-16-2018)

  16. #234
    Member Tom Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    29,481

    Re: Bryan Price Needs to Go III: End This Already

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    You guys put a lot more significance on the manager than I do. I'm firmly in the "it won't matter until they fix the roster" category.

    Otherwise, they aren't really underperforming. They just need better guys.
    Look at how guys like Tony Cingrani and Blake Wood are doing with their new teams, and JC Ramirez before his elbow blew up. Hard to convince me that managers and coaches don’t matter when these guys are decidedly Not Awful when they play for Not the Reds.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

  17. Likes:

    corkedbat (04-16-2018),REDREAD (04-16-2018),StRedlegs900 (04-16-2018),The Operator (04-16-2018)

  18. #235
    Prognosis...Negative StRedlegs900's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    336

    Re: Bryan Price Needs to Go III: End This Already

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    This fanbase needs to see that someone above cares. Keeping Bryan Price around shows that they don't. I don't care if it won't make a 1-win difference or not. It will show Joe Reds Fan that the front office is willing to try something different, and that actually matters. Right now, there's flat out apathy with this team and organization. And it's April 16th. You've got to do something.
    Doug, this post is notable to me as a guy who's lurked on here and read MANY posts over the past 12 years or so. You traditionally (at least from what I've observed) seemed to be in the "injuries and bad luck" camp with regards to the team, and didn't seem to lay the fault at Bryan Price's feet.

    It seems that maybe the start to this 2018 season has pushed you in a different direction, where you're starting to question why a move away from Price hasn't been made. As a guy who traditionally preaches patience, especially considering your career following minor league baseball, was there any specific thing that sort of pushed you over the edge?

    I was just curious since it seems like even you are starting to get ultra confused as well, judging by some of your posts and by your podcast (which I really enjoy btw).

  19. #236
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: Bryan Price Needs to Go III: End This Already

    Quote Originally Posted by StRedlegs900 View Post
    Doug, this post is notable to me as a guy who's lurked on here and read MANY posts over the past 12 years or so. You traditionally (at least from what I've observed) seemed to be in the "injuries and bad luck" camp with regards to the team, and didn't seem to lay the fault at Bryan Price's feet.

    It seems that maybe the start to this 2018 season has pushed you in a different direction, where you're starting to question why a move away from Price hasn't been made. As a guy who traditionally preaches patience, especially considering your career following minor league baseball, was there any specific thing that sort of pushed you over the edge?

    I was just curious since it seems like even you are starting to get ultra confused as well, judging by some of your posts and by your podcast (which I really enjoy btw).
    Seeing this fanbase pushed me over the edge to the "you have to do something". That and at this point playing Cliff Pennington over Alex Blandino.

  20. Likes:

    StRedlegs900 (04-16-2018),The Operator (04-16-2018),Todd Gack (04-16-2018)

  21. #237
    Prognosis...Negative StRedlegs900's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    336

    Re: Bryan Price Needs to Go III: End This Already

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Seeing this fanbase pushed me over the edge to the "you have to do something". That and at this point playing Cliff Pennington over Alex Blandino.
    I thought it might be the Blandino/Gossington situation, which I'm in complete accordance with. I've been ready to move on from Price since early last year, but just wanted to get your take. I appreciate it!

    I'd say there's certainly more of a "things in baseball will even out" problem here, and as a guy who's about to turn 34 in two weeks, I can't remember ever seeing the fan-base this upset.

  22. #238
    Member Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,753

    Re: Bryan Price Needs to Go III: End This Already

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    but I think everyone will disappointed to see that the new lipstick doesn't change the fact that it's still a pig.
    What it changes is me not having to watch or hear about Bryan Price doing stupid things anymore, which is an improvement.
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." - H. L. Mencken

  23. Likes:

    REDREAD (04-16-2018),The Operator (04-16-2018)

  24. #239
    Member BernieCarbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    1,099

    Re: Bryan Price Needs to Go III: End This Already

    When I saw Billy smiling after his second strikeout yesterday, it was apparent that something is terribly wrong with the culture. I'm Red Sox biased since the Reds are my adoptive team since the last 25 years, but it is unfathomable that any young player would be acting like that and heading back to the dugout to face guys like Ortiz, Youklis, or Pedroia, never mind Francona or Farrell. It's the same way with the Yanks or Cards or whoever- the other players would contain this. I mean, Price had no problem going nuclear on a reporter that simply asked a question, but he can't instill some urgency with the players? The whole optics of this team is just bad. It's time.

  25. Likes:

    The Operator (04-16-2018)

  26. #240
    Member BernieCarbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    1,099

    Re: Bryan Price Needs to Go III: End This Already

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    ...but I think everyone will disappointed to see that the new lipstick doesn't change the fact that it's still a pig...
    No, because most of us have common sense and realize that you still have to hit the ball, throw the ball, and catch the ball. But that doesn't excuse the absolute stupid managerial decisions on the field. But hey, Billy seems to be having a good time, so what do I know?


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | JaxRed | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | RedsfaninMT | The Operator