Re: Ibandel Isabel

He's still not good.

38 K's in 90 PA's

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    He's still not good.

38 K's in 90 PA's
    Totally fair to say he's got a huge mountain to climb in order to have a real MLB career, but I guess I don't get saying he's "not good". .900 OPS in A+ and .895 OPS so far in AA isn't good? It's actually bad?
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

4. Likes:

BillDoran (04-29-2019),Spanky (04-29-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Totally fair to say he's got a huge mountain to climb in order to have a real MLB career, but I guess I don't get saying he's "not good". .900 OPS in A+ and .895 OPS so far in AA isn't good? It's actually bad?
    You tend to have a high OBP and high SLG when 25% of your H's are homeruns.

He's going to get a shot in the bigs, probably hit a few homeruns and he's going to K close to 40% of the time and then hopefully make big money to play in Asia.

We've seen this before.

I'm trying to think of a recent prospect that's just like Ibandel and Carlos Peguero was the first to pop into my head. Actually Carter and Viciedo were first, but they were much better all around prospects.

Did I see something the other day that said his uncle is Dave Kingman?
    "Baseball is only dull to those with dull minds."

I remember when David Ortiz was in the Minors and Scouts thought he'd never amount to anything because he couldn't hit a breaking ball. He'd crush fastballs, but whiff ugly on breaking balls.

No one's future is written in stone is all I'm saying.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 04-30-2019 at 09:35 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

9. Likes:

DocRed (05-01-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I remember when David Ortiz was in the Minors and Scouts thought he'd never amount to anything because he couldn't hit a breaking ball. He'd crush fastballs, but whiff ugly on breaking balls.

No one's future is written in stone is all I'm saying.
    David Ortiz? As in the guy who played 20 years for the Twins and Red Sox?

Because that Ortiz never had a K rate over 24% in the minors and he made his big league debut at the ripe age of 21. Most scouts were extremely high on him, he was a top 100 prospect for BaseballAmerica.

Ibandel is about to turn 24 and his K rate is 40% (more than 1 and a half times Ortiz's worst K rate).

Joey Gallo chuckles at this debate
    Were going to get the pitching. -Bob Castellini
    You got the pitching, now what? - Reds fans

Gallo >>> Ibandel

Isabel makes the BA Hot Sheet this week. They note he's "starting to make more contact". He's got an .840 OPS on the season and .904 OPS since Memorial Day.

Wonder how many dongers he can mash in Louisville given the HR surge there.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Isabel makes the BA Hot Sheet this week. They note he's "starting to make more contact". He's got an .840 OPS on the season and .904 OPS since Memorial Day.

Wonder how many dongers he can mash in Louisville given the HR surge there.
    Some guy named Dave Kingman made a pretty good living in the Bigs back when strikeouts weren't king. He struck out 27% of the time and had a career .780 OPS.
    "Baseball is only dull to those with dull minds."

Since making the hot sheet....

29 K's in his last 59 PA's (and 4 HR's)...man that's hard to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    David Ortiz? As in the guy who played 20 years for the Twins and Red Sox?

Because that Ortiz never had a K rate over 24% in the minors and he made his big league debut at the ripe age of 21. Most scouts were extremely high on him, he was a top 100 prospect for BaseballAmerica.

Ibandel is about to turn 24 and his K rate is 40% (more than 1 and a half times Ortiz's worst K rate).
    He wasn't striking out on fastballs. He feasted on those, especially in the PCL.

He had 600 Plate Appearances at the age of 23 for Salt Lake City. Do you just make this stuff up as you go along?

Having a cup of coffee at 21 does not mean you've figure out how to hit breaking balls. The Twins weren't convinced until he was 24 that he deserved a lengthy stay to work it out.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 08-04-2019 at 11:09 AM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

.406 average over last 10 games.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    He wasn't striking out on fastballs. He feasted on those, especially in the PCL.

He had 600 Plate Appearances at the age of 23 for Salt Lake City. Do you just make this stuff up as you go along?

Having a cup of coffee at 21 does not mean you've figure out how to hit breaking balls. The Twins weren't convinced until he was 24 that he deserved a lengthy stay to work it out.
    Hmm, what exactly did I make up?

He debuted at 21 as I said.
    He never had a K rate over 24% as I said.
    He was highly ranked as I said.

The simple truth is that Ibandel is now 24 years old and is still striking out an insanely ugly 42% at AA. He's limited to 1B and if the Reds don't add him to their 40 man roster before the world series ends he'll become a minor league free agent.

I don't hate the guy, I hope he finds it overnight and becomes a good ballplayer. I hope that happens for every single prospect in the minors. But, it's highly unlikely to happen and as ungodly as his homerun totals are he's not a good prospect and that should be pointed out in a thread that was made to discuss him.

I really hope the Reds don't waste a 40 man spot on him this winter. If they want him back so badly they can re-sign him to a new minor league deal.

Turn Off Ads?