Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Draft Class

Re: 2019 Draft Class

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    BA has posted an early list of top 100 draft prospects for 2019.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/rank...aft-prospects/

Seems a little thin on pitching.
    Can't see it without a subscription, so I'm flying blind on their list.

From what I know, CJ Abrams, Bobby Witt Jr, Bryson Stott, Riley Greene and Carter Stewart are the five guys that intrigue me the most for the Reds.

As far as Chris Buckley goes, however, keep an eye on Graeme Stinson the southpaw reliever who will spend his first full year in the rotation.
    Last edited by Benihana; 01-14-2019 at 09:53 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

I feel like Kameron Misner might be worthy of our hopes and aspirations.
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

Coddle thy pitchers.

4. Likes:

NC Reds (01-15-2019),podgejeff_ (01-15-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I feel like Kameron Misner might be worthy of our hopes and aspirations.
    Agreed.

I also think that it's high time for a college arm, even if this draft is weak in them. Graeme Stinson's stuff combined with being a southpaw are intriguing to me.

CJ Abrams sounds like Billy Hamilton but with plus contact skills and an ability to stick at SS, a prototypical leadoff hitter at a premium position. Other than that, I lean toward tall college pitchers like Stinson. There seem to be questions about most of the college pitchers. It's not at all clear who will step forward.

7. Likes:

podgejeff_ (02-24-2019)

Way too early for me to have any strong opinions, but I like how the top 10 looks right now. Most intrigued by this Corbin Carroll (saw him a little in a televised all star game), and as always I feel good about taking a shot at a catcher (Langeliers). Middle of the diamond guys who can hit. I also favor LH bats, so there's Greene and Abrams too. First draft without Buckley, which will be the most interesting thing...
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Way too early for me to have any strong opinions, but I like how the top 10 looks right now. Most intrigued by this Corbin Carroll (saw him a little in a televised all star game), and as always I feel good about taking a shot at a catcher (Langeliers). Middle of the diamond guys who can hit. I also favor LH bats, so there's Greene and Abrams too. First draft without Buckley, which will be the most interesting thing...
    I know you never draft for need, but it seems like the quality at the top of the draft meshes well with positions the Reds could stand to bolster for three or four years down the road (Catching / Shortstop / Starting Pitching).

Jimmy Butler just spent his evening gnawing on Dipo.

Coddle thy pitchers.

Has actual College Baseball started yet? I would guess mid Feb.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

12. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (01-19-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Jimmy Butler just spent his evening gnawing on Dipo.
    Doh!

Coddle thy pitchers.

College baseball season opens in earnest tomorrow. Anybody in particular you're following?

I like Bryson Stott quite a bit, he can hit and can likely stick at shortstop. Josh Jung's bat intrigues me too though his other tools get less than stellar marks.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

15. Likes:

lollipopcurve (02-14-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    College baseball season opens in earnest tomorrow. Anybody in particular you're following?

I like Bryson Stott quite a bit, he can hit and can likely stick at shortstop. Josh Jung's bat intrigues me too though his other tools get less than stellar marks.
    Will be interested to see how the Baylor catcher Langeliers fares.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

I'll be curious to see if any of LHPs Stinson, Lodolo, or Thompson can take a step forward and establish as the top college lefty in the draft.
    The world is a messy place. People are inconsistent and complicated. Maybe we should see how different things could be if we gave grace and forgiveness to our fellow human beings when they fail to be perfect in our eyes. -- me

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

My draft board currently stands as follows:

Rutschman
    -gap-
    Witt
    Stott
    Greene
    Carroll
    Stewart
    -gap-
    Stinson
    Langliers
    Abrams

You will see Vaughn and Jung missing from my board because there is no way I want the Reds to draft a 1B at #7, regardless of great numbers.

I know it is early, but I cannot see Vaughn and Jung being added back to the board.

I know the rest of the guys will likely move a lot, with Stinson having the best chance of vaulting up my board if he can show better feel for his change-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    My draft board currently stands as follows:

Rutschman
    -gap-
    Witt
    Stott
    Greene
    Carroll
    Stewart
    -gap-
    Stinson
    Langliers
    Abrams

You will see Vaughn and Jung missing from my board because there is no way I want the Reds to draft a 1B at #7, regardless of great numbers.

I know it is early, but I cannot see Vaughn and Jung being added back to the board.

I know the rest of the guys will likely move a lot, with Stinson having the best chance of vaulting up my board if he can show better feel for his change-up.
    That's a mistake, IMO.

If a bat is as special as Vaughn's might well be (or develop into being or whatever verb tense English professors would make that become), why disregard him? Especially if they're going to go to a universal DH?

If Vaughn's a 70 bat (or a 65 hit tool with a 75 or 80 patience/ recognition/ plate approach tool), he's going to be a weapon regardless of position (or lack thereof).

I thought about bringing up Vaughn but I think the good odds are that the choice will be out of the Reds hands because I don't think he'll be there at #7.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

Turn Off Ads?