Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 79

Thread: 2019 Draft Class

  1. #46
    Member Bourgeois Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    4,724

    Re: 2019 Draft Class

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I thought about bringing up Vaughn but I think the good odds are that the choice will be out of the Reds hands because I don't think he'll be there at #7.
    I love Vaughn's bat.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #47
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    South Lebanon, OH
    Posts
    4,235

    Re: 2019 Draft Class

    Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    That's a mistake, IMO.

    If a bat is as special as Vaughn's might well be (or develop into being or whatever verb tense English professors would make that become), why disregard him? Especially if they're going to go to a universal DH?

    If Vaughn's a 70 bat (or a 65 hit tool with a 75 or 80 patience/ recognition/ plate approach tool), he's going to be a weapon regardless of position (or lack thereof).
    The DH will not be universal until 2022, at the earliest (since the CBA goes through 2021 and universal DH will be negotiated at that time). Votto is guaranteed through 2023 and likely 2024, with a full no-trade clause. I really do not see the value in drafting a guy whose clearest path to value is through a major rule change.

  4. #48
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    37,280

    Re: 2019 Draft Class

    Two prep sleepers who seem like helium candidates are OF Maurice Hampton and SS Matthew Lugo. Hampton's a Kyler Murray-level athlete, but with more power potential. Lugo's got a fairly advanced bat, and showcased really well during the summer and fall.
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

  5. #49
    Moderator JaxRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    12,229

    Re: 2019 Draft Class

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I feel like Kameron Misner might be worthy of our hopes and aspirations.
    He's playing here in town this opening day weekend. Because it's 73 degrees today!!
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

  6. #50
    Moderator JaxRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    12,229

    Re: 2019 Draft Class

    Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    That's a mistake, IMO.

    If a bat is as special as Vaughn's might well be (or develop into being or whatever verb tense English professors would make that become), why disregard him? Especially if they're going to go to a universal DH?

    If Vaughn's a 70 bat (or a 65 hit tool with a 75 or 80 patience/ recognition/ plate approach tool), he's going to be a weapon regardless of position (or lack thereof).

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    The DH will not be universal until 2022, at the earliest (since the CBA goes through 2021 and universal DH will be negotiated at that time). Votto is guaranteed through 2023 and likely 2024, with a full no-trade clause. I really do not see the value in drafting a guy whose clearest path to value is through a major rule change.
    In regards to Votto, but if this guy only spends 1.5 seasons in the minors, Joey will be 37.5 in spring of 2021. Depending on success of guys like Trammel and Siri, etc. though Winker could be moved to 1st.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 02-16-2019 at 04:40 PM.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

  7. #51
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    37,280

    Re: 2019 Draft Class

    Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    He's playing here in town this opening day weekend. Because it's 73 degrees today!!
    He got off to a monster start - 1.671 OPS in his first three games, 2 HR, 2 SB, walked twice as much as he whiffed, 2 OF assists too.
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

  8. #52
    Wait... What? Vander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    758

    Re: 2019 Draft Class

    https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...-top-10-picks/

    New BA mock draft. It's subscription only, so I can't read it, but there you go.

  9. #53
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    12,514

    Re: 2019 Draft Class

    Quote Originally Posted by Vander View Post
    https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...-top-10-picks/

    New BA mock draft. It's subscription only, so I can't read it, but there you go.
    Can anyone list the top 10?
    Go BLUE!!!

  10. #54
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,552

    Re: 2019 Draft Class

    Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Can anyone list the top 10?
    I can say that they have the Reds taking Josh Jung, a 3B from Texas Tech. That seems unlikely to me, unless they view him as best available and plan to work out positional placement later. It is a good year for SS. I think SS or CF is the pick even if they have to reach a little.

  11. #55
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    South Lebanon, OH
    Posts
    4,235

    Re: 2019 Draft Class

    Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    I can say that they have the Reds taking Josh Jung, a 3B from Texas Tech. That seems unlikely to me, unless they view him as best available and plan to work out positional placement later. It is a good year for SS. I think SS or CF is the pick even if they have to reach a little.
    I would be very disappointed with a Jung pick.

  12. #56
    Moderator JaxRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    12,229

    Re: 2019 Draft Class

    Who's the top 3b in 2020 draft? Asking for a friend.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

  13. Likes:

    RiverRat13 (02-24-2019)

  14. #57
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    37,280

    Re: 2019 Draft Class

    Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I would be very disappointed with a Jung pick.
    He's no Freud.
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

  15. #58
    The Last Captain podgejeff_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,001

    Re: 2019 Draft Class

    My very early interest list in no particular order:
    Graeme Stinson - Apparently dominated his first start but is on a pitch count to build him back up. Big lefty with a plus fastball and plus plus slider. He said he's started his whole life until he got to college so he's not particularly worried about becoming a starter again.
    CJ Abrams - Billy Hamilton with a hit tool from the sounds of it. That's very valuable if it works out. Plus he has a chance of sticking at SS.
    Kameron Misner - 5 legitimate tools OF. Everybody loves those. Could be the SEC's best player.
    Carter Stewart - If his health isn't a concern then I'd take a look at him. Filthy top of the rotation stuff. The Braves were interested and I take that as a plus with HS pitchers.

    This is, of course, assuming guys like Rutschman are off the table.

  16. #59
    Member Bourgeois Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    4,724

    Re: 2019 Draft Class

    I've heard Jung has major issues with his feet.

    He has arched types.

  17. #60
    Member marcshoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Twice upon a midnight dreary.
    Posts
    9,083

    Re: 2019 Draft Class

    Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I've heard Jung has major issues with his feet.

    He has arched types.
    He'll be fine as long as he synchronicitizes both of them.
    [Reading] is the sole means by which we slip, involuntarily, often helplessly, into another's skin, another's voice, another's soul" -- Joyce Carol Oates


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | JaxRed | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator