Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Official Redszone Movie Spoilers Discussion Thread

Official Redszone Movie Spoilers Discussion Thread

I’m starting this thread to discuss movies after they’ve already premiered, just to avoid spoiling it in the other thread for anyone who hasn’t seen it.

Avengers Infinity War:

I posted this in the other thread, but Thanos story arc reminded me a lot of Ozymandias in the Watchmen. Killing millions to save billions basically.

I said that Black Panther wasted Ulysses Klaue and I feel the same way with Ebony Maw in Infinity War. Something about him left me wanting more, namely a full movie with him and Dr Strange.

The soul stone was a surprise, especially with the Red Skull being the keeper. It works in that it does attempt to humanize Thanos, and with four Avatar movies coming out, I doubt Zoe Saldana (Gamora) will be back, even with the theory that she is trapped in the stone.

I made the comment when I left that a lot of people are going to learn how 80s comic books work. The “snap deaths” are going to be reversed, but it’s going to be interesting for Marvel to justify killing Spider-Man to the casual viewer when they are going to be marketing the sequel with a currently dead Spider-Man.

Likewise with Black Panther. I thought M’Baku surviving sets up a potential storyline for the inevitable Black Panther sequel. The Jabari tribe embraced isolationism, and T’Challa assisting the Avengers opened Wakanda to War. I think M’Baku takes over as ruler of Wakanda as T’Challa was one of the snap deaths and after Avengers 4 T’Challa is exiled.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Official Redszone Movie Spoilers Discussion Thread

Bruce Willis is dead the entire time in The 6th Sense.

4. Likes:

cinredsfan2000 (05-03-2018),Razor Shines (05-05-2018)

They call me "chef"

Thanks for making this! Not to step on toes but would it work better to make a spoiler thread specific to a particular movie? Eventually, part way through spoiler talk for a movie we've seen, someone else may pop in and drop a spoiler for another movie we haven't. Unless there's an etiquette where people announce impending spoilers so folks who don't want to know can stop discussing spoilers for movies they've seen and stay away for a while?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    Thanks for making this! Not to step on toes but would it work better to make a spoiler thread specific to a particular movie? Eventually, part way through spoiler talk for a movie we've seen, someone else may pop in and drop a spoiler for another movie we haven't. Unless there's an etiquette where people announce impending spoilers so folks who don't want to know can stop discussing spoilers for movies they've seen and stay away for a while?
    I thought about it but having one thread to discuss it versus multiple threads for different movies seemed better and clutter free.

With the word “spoiler” attached, it’s basically “read at your own risk”. Unless the moderators want to establish guidelines for it.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

7. Likes:

Larry Schuler (04-30-2018)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I thought about it but having one thread to discuss it versus multiple threads for different movies seemed better and clutter free.

With the word “spoiler” attached, it’s basically “read at your own risk”. Unless the moderators want to establish guidelines for it.
    What is this, Russia?!

Just saw Infinity War. Thought it kind of sucked. Before you say it, I grew up on 80s and 90s marvel, so I know what’s going on. Just didn’t dig it. Way too long.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Just saw Infinity War. Thought it kind of sucked. Before you say it, I grew up on 80s and 90s marvel, so I know what’s going on. Just didn’t dig it. Way too long.
    Interesting. I thought it breezed by in spite of it's running time. It felt like a forward-moving-at-all-times distillation of the Marvel action/comedy sweet spot with zero time devoted to backstory outside of the Thanos flashbacks. I haven't really seen anything like it before so I can't really say it was great or effective but I felt it was entertaining and well paced, whatever it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    Interesting. I thought it breezed by in spite of it's running time. It felt like a forward-moving-at-all-times distillation of the Marvel action/comedy sweet spot with zero time devoted to backstory outside of the Thanos flashbacks. I haven't really seen anything like it before so I can't really say it was great or effective but I felt it was entertaining and well paced, whatever it was.
    It just didn’t really have a story. It was just kind of a jumbled mess. I think it would have been a lot more effective if he already had 5 stones and just needed to get visions. The way it played out kind of killed any drama.

It just didn’t really have a story. It was just kind of a jumbled mess. I think it would have been a lot more effective if he already had 5 stones and just needed to get visions. The way it played out kind of killed any drama.
    I see your point, but I don’t think it sucked by any means.

When I think of MCU movies that sucked, here’s mine:

The Incredible Hulk: Basically led to Edward Norton being replaced by Mark Ruffalo, which was a win long term.

Iron Man 3: Completely ruined the Mandarin.

Thor: The Dark World: Natalie Portman was probably the worst of all the love interests.

Age of Ultron: See Iron Man 3. Ultron was one of the Avengers top villains and was essentially wasted IMO for one film.

Infinity War had a lot going on, but compared to those movies, and especially Age of Ultron, it completely deviated from what you expected to happen. I went in expecting one of Cap and Tony to die and that didn’t happen. The scene between Peter and Tony at the end was numbing.

Peter and Tony at the end was numbing.
    I just don’t agree. Everyone knows another Spider-Man movie is coming out in a year or two.

I just don’t agree. Everyone knows another Spider-Man movie is coming out in a year or two.
    Coming out next year.

It was in the sense that Peter is still a kid and had a very kid-like reaction facing death. Even though these deaths are going to be reversed, it was still pretty tough to watch that scene, especially if you have kids of your own.

Coming out next year.

It was in the sense that Peter is still a kid and had a very kid-like reaction facing death. Even though these deaths are going to be reversed, it was still pretty tough to watch that scene, especially if you have kids of your own.
    I have a child. Just don’t agree. Maybe I’m cynical.

They call me "chef"

I don't have kids and I thought that scene captured my own death anxieties and feelings of helplessness. It kind of highlighted how safe and dramatized the other deaths were too. Seeing someone realize they're dying and there's no one there to help them and having it acted so well was affecting for me.

Coming out next year.

I had the same problem RedTeamGo had, because do the bolded part.

We know these deaths will be reversed, not just because it’s been set up with the stones in the story, but because most of the actors are under contract for many more movies as these characters.

No matter how well it’s written or acted, once you remove the stakes, once I know the characters aren’t in real peril, I just don’t care anymore about what happens. After that, it’s just watching to see how cool the action scenes and CGI will be. And that really was all that Infinity War offered to me, which was disappointing.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

18. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (05-05-2018)

I thought the battle between the Wakandans and gleep glops was completely unnecessary. I would have preferred a battle between the heroes and villains with 30-40 beings involved with some heroes being killed, not just turned into dust.

That big battle reminded me of the Gungans vs Battle droid battle from Star Wars Episode 1.

Turn Off Ads?