Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's ban Zack Hample from GABP

Re: Let's ban Zack Hample from GABP

Zack seems like a good dude to me. He often gives the balls he catches to kids, and has raised more than $190,000 to charities. See here: https://pledgeit.org/zack-hample-s-b...-baseball-2017.

I was at the game the night before this one and was thinking how he would clean up with the sparse crowd. Of course this was after I botched a chance for a foul ball. It went to the section above and fell back down...It rolled to the next row down just before I got to it. Of course I dropped my hot dog and somehow my shoe came off in the attempt. Still ate the hot dog.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adampad View Post
    Of course I dropped my hot dog and somehow my shoe came off in the attempt. Still ate the hot dog.
    RIP Adam.

4. Likes:

DatRedsFan (05-02-2018),JayBruceFan (05-02-2018),Spanky (05-02-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by adampad View Post
    Zack seems like a good dude to me. He often gives the balls he catches to kids, and has raised more than $190,000 to charities. See here: https://pledgeit.org/zack-hample-s-b...-baseball-2017.

I was at the game the night before this one and was thinking how he would clean up with the sparse crowd. Of course this was after I botched a chance for a foul ball. It went to the section above and fell back down...It rolled to the next row down just before I got to it. Of course I dropped my hot dog and somehow my shoe came off in the attempt. Still ate the hot dog.
    Thanks for the info and cool story.

I’m guessing what was in the hot dog was worse for you than whatever ended up on it after it fell on the ground, so good call on eating it.
    “We’re going to get the pitching.” -Bob Castellini
    “You got the pitching, now what?” - Reds fans

How is it even possible for him to get this many balls? I could maybe imagine 100 but 10,000+ seems just unreal.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    How is it even possible for him to get this many balls? I could maybe imagine 100 but 10,000+ seems just unreal.
    I can figure 1000 is doable. Go to batting practice 60 times a year for 20 years (the guy is 40 years old). Get 15 per BP, and get some during the game, and that's 1000ish. But 10 times that sounds astronomical. It's hard to make that math work.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I can figure 1000 is doable. Go to batting practice 60 times a year for 20 years (the guy is 40 years old). Get 15 per BP, and get some during the game, and that's 1000ish. But 10 times that sounds astronomical. It's hard to make that math work.
    60 times/yr * 20yr * 15balls/BP = 18000 balls

The math works.

Seems rather obsessive, but like I said, everyone needs a hobby.
    The world is a messy place. People are inconsistent and complicated. Maybe we should see how different things could be if we gave grace and forgiveness to our fellow human beings when they fail to be perfect in our eyes. -- me

When there are 30 people in an entire section, the ushers shouldn't be getting on people about moving around seats. That stuff drives me crazy.

I was at a minor league game in the last few years (I'm going to be very vague here because I don't want to throw any particular organization under the bus) and saw an usher go down and check on tickets of these two young men (they looked like they were somewhere in that 18-25 range). They didn't have tickets for those seats. He asked them to move. They were literally the only people sitting in the first 13 rows of that section. There were about 8 total people in the section. Stuff like that is incredibly petty.

Here's another fun one. My best friend a few years ago bought seats in Baltimore behind the plate. Second row. Seats that cost like $200. He was literally the only person in his row. He scooted over one seat after like 3 innings so he would be seen on TV (his seat was right out of frame). The usher came down and threatened to have him removed from the ballpark if he didn't move back to his original seat. You know, the one right next to it. NO ONE ELSE WAS IN THE ROW.

Just drives me crazy when people do stuff like that.

Side rant, of course. Hample is a different story. I just wanted to rant about ushers being turds.
    Part of it is about price protection for the team. If everyone knows you can just move down to better seats, then nobody would ever by the premium seats. The other side when your crowds are that crappy is to do anything it takes to get customers in the park and give them a good experience.

I guess I'm saying its not a completely black and white thing.

Anyways, you are right, Hample is a different story. He's moving around and taking advantage of the situation. You'd almost have to create a completely different set of rules to prevent him from doing what he's doing. Ultimately, he's only attending a few Reds games, and going from stadium to stadium, so its not like its an issue that is going to both GABP citizens at each game.

10. Likes:

RadfordVA (05-02-2018)

When there are 30 people in an entire section, the ushers shouldn't be getting on people about moving around seats. That stuff drives me crazy.

I was at a minor league game in the last few years (I'm going to be very vague here because I don't want to throw any particular organization under the bus) and saw an usher go down and check on tickets of these two young men (they looked like they were somewhere in that 18-25 range). They didn't have tickets for those seats. He asked them to move. They were literally the only people sitting in the first 13 rows of that section. There were about 8 total people in the section. Stuff like that is incredibly petty.

Here's another fun one. My best friend a few years ago bought seats in Baltimore behind the plate. Second row. Seats that cost like $200. He was literally the only person in his row. He scooted over one seat after like 3 innings so he would be seen on TV (his seat was right out of frame). The usher came down and threatened to have him removed from the ballpark if he didn't move back to his original seat. You know, the one right next to it. NO ONE ELSE WAS IN THE ROW.

Just drives me crazy when people do stuff like that.

Side rant, of course. Hample is a different story. I just wanted to rant about ushers being turds.
    Or people could just pay for the seats they want to sit in. It is pretty frustrating to take the family and buy tickets in front row of right field so kids have a shot at a ball, only to have grown men tower over them taking every ball they can knowing they only bought standing room only tickets.

12. Likes:

DatRedsFan (05-02-2018),REDREAD (05-02-2018),sjjones (05-03-2018),The Operator (05-02-2018)

Start charging him for the baseballs.

Reds are a business after all.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    Or people could just pay for the seats they want to sit in. It is pretty frustrating to take the family and buy tickets in front row of right field so kids have a shot at a ball, only to have grown men tower over them taking every ball they can knowing they only bought standing room only tickets.
    If you have front row seats how are adults towering over them?

When there is a handful of people in an entire section, don't be the usher seeking out tickets on the eight people in the section. On a night when there are 8 empty seats in the section and people are trying to find ways to get into that section without showing the usher the ticket? Cool. Makes sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    60 times/yr * 20yr * 15balls/BP = 18000 balls

The math works.

Seems rather obsessive, but like I said, everyone needs a hobby.
    I didn't math correctly. Because dumb me is.

15. Likes:

Spanky (05-02-2018),WrongVerb (05-02-2018)

Launch him into the sun

17. Likes:

REDREAD (05-02-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Start charging him for the baseballs.

Reds are a business after all.
    It’s what Marge would do.

It was reported that Dick Wagner used to charge players $50 for every ball they tossed into the stands.
    “We’re going to get the pitching.” -Bob Castellini
    “You got the pitching, now what?” - Reds fans

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    It was reported that Dick Wagner used to charge players $50 for every ball they tossed into the stands.
    Maybe that's still the policy and Votto is actually getting a bonus for keeping baseballs out of the stands.

20. Likes:

Number_Fourteen (05-03-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Part of it is about price protection for the team. If everyone knows you can just move down to better seats, then nobody would ever by the premium seats. The other side when your crowds are that crappy is to do anything it takes to get customers in the park and give them a good experience.

I guess I'm saying its not a completely black and white thing.

Anyways, you are right, Hample is a different story. He's moving around and taking advantage of the situation. You'd almost have to create a completely different set of rules to prevent him from doing what he's doing. Ultimately, he's only attending a few Reds games, and going from stadium to stadium, so its not like its an issue that is going to both GABP citizens at each game.
    Eh, the Reds do a decent job of enticing their season ticket holders now. Another thing you have to consider, how many of the people actually pay for seats as opposed to being given seats? It just doesn't bother me, if there are open seats, and someone takes the seat and is respectful, especially if they have kids, more power to them. I remember the days at Riverfront where the stadium would be empty but there were ushers who wouldn't let you go down from the green to blue level if you didn't have a ticket.

As for his guy catching HR's, whatever floats your boat. As long as he isn't pushing people over, it doesn't bother me. If I caught Blandino's HR and the Reds asked me what I wanted, I probably would have said an auto Joey Votto bat. But at the end of the day that ball means a ton to Blandino and is pretty meaningless to me. I have caught one foul ball, gave it to my nephew who subsequently lost it in the woods playing baseball.

22. Likes:

Donder (05-02-2018),Number_Fourteen (05-03-2018)

Someone is gonna get hurt due to his antics one day.

24. Likes:

REDREAD (05-02-2018)

Turn Off Ads?