Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 236

Thread: Hunter Greene

  1. #31
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    37,126

    Re: Hunter Greene

    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Jones View Post
    Johnny Cueto, Nolan Ryan, Randy Johnson, Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, Jose Rijo just off the top of my head.

    You’re not trying to make the argument that extremely talented guys who struggled early in their careers never figure it out are you?
    All them had immensely successful campaigns in the minors before they got thrown into the majors. Literally every single one of them had pitched well in at least AA. Outside of Cueto, they also all came up before the offensive explosion we see in the modern game. Apples and cinder blocks. I'm looking for fledgling prospects who've been thrown to the wolves and been this sort of overmatched out of the gate, and then lived to tell the tale.
    Last edited by M2; 05-03-2018 at 04:50 PM.
    Wanted: Big Red Mechanic

    Robert Stephenson should be cut. That's just unconscious knowledge.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    37,126

    Re: Hunter Greene

    Quote Originally Posted by Vander View Post
    Reds management obviously felt he could handle the competition in Low-A. The fact that he's struggling right now does nothing to prove them wrong on that, especially considering the luck he's had.
    And Reds management is known for getting things right? Not exactly the best authority for an appeal.
    Wanted: Big Red Mechanic

    Robert Stephenson should be cut. That's just unconscious knowledge.

  4. Likes:

    REDREAD (05-04-2018)

  5. #33
    Member Tracy Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3,000

    Re: Hunter Greene

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    All them had immensely successful campaigns in the minors before they got thrown into the majors. Literally every single one of them had pitched well in at least AA. Outside of Cueto, they also all came up before the offensive explosion we see in the modern game. Apples and cinder blocks. I'm looking for fledgling prospects who've been thrown to the wolves and been this sort of overmatched out of the gate, and then lived to tell the tale.
    That’s not what you said. The point is regardless of which level they were overmatched, the fact is that they all were indeed overmatched early in their careers and figured out a way to overcome it.

    Hunter Greene has pitched 8 innings. Pump the brakes.

  6. #34
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    37,126

    Re: Hunter Greene

    Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    His stuff will surely dominate rookie ball hitters so is there a benefit there?
    He'd be able to concentrate on executing his pitches and building his endurance against lineups that he's able to best. Instead he's getting tagged and walking way too many. Got to remember we're talking about young kid with underdeveloped executive functioning. The danger is he tries to do too much when what he's got isn't enough.

    Start him lower on the ladder and if tears it up: A) great, B) you can always move him up. Also, he'd be working on starting every 5th day in MiLB camp. It's not like he wouldn't be pitching right now if he wasn't in Dayton.
    Last edited by M2; 05-03-2018 at 05:15 PM.
    Wanted: Big Red Mechanic

    Robert Stephenson should be cut. That's just unconscious knowledge.

  7. #35
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    37,126

    Re: Hunter Greene

    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Jones View Post
    That’s not what you said. The point is regardless of which level they were overmatched, the fact is that they all were indeed overmatched early in their careers and figured out a way to overcome it.

    Hunter Greene has pitched 8 innings. Pump the brakes.
    No, that is what I said. You took it in another direction. That's fine, but also irrelevant.

    As for pumping the brakes, tell that to the Reds. There is no good reason for them to let Greene linger in Dayton if he does not improve over his next few starts.
    Wanted: Big Red Mechanic

    Robert Stephenson should be cut. That's just unconscious knowledge.

  8. #36
    Member Tracy Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3,000

    Re: Hunter Greene

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    No, that is what I said. You took it in another direction. That's fine, but also irrelevant.

    As for pumping the brakes, tell that to the Reds. There is no good reason for them to let Greene linger in Dayton if he does not improve over his next few starts.
    “I disagree. I think when someone with the requisite physical talent realizes that he's overmatched, he's likely to figure out what it is he needs to do to stop being overmatched.”

    “Provide me examples of that working with a pitcher in baseball”

    Nothing about level of ball. Nothing about only in the minor leagues.

    The level is what’s irrelevant. Guys struggle. Get “overmatched” Even talented guys. Many overcome it and become successful.

  9. #37
    Wait... What? Vander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    734

    Re: Hunter Greene

    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Jones View Post
    Hunter Greene has pitched 8 innings. Pump the brakes.
    This. A thousand times. This.

  10. Likes:

    Griffey012 (05-03-2018),ochoa30 (05-03-2018)

  11. #38
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    37,126

    Re: Hunter Greene

    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Jones View Post
    “I disagree. I think when someone with the requisite physical talent realizes that he's overmatched, he's likely to figure out what it is he needs to do to stop being overmatched.”

    “Provide me examples of that working with a pitcher in baseball”

    Nothing about level of ball. Nothing about only in the minor leagues.

    The level is what’s irrelevant. Guys struggle. Get “overmatched” Even talented guys. Many overcome it and become successful.
    Ignore the context of the conversation all you want. Your examples were and remain irrelevant. Would you care to cite examples relevant to a prospect like Hunter Greene?
    Wanted: Big Red Mechanic

    Robert Stephenson should be cut. That's just unconscious knowledge.

  12. #39
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    37,126

    Re: Hunter Greene

    Quote Originally Posted by Vander View Post
    This. A thousand times. This.
    Serious question, is there any amount of innings which would actually cause you to question whether the Reds made a poor decision?
    Wanted: Big Red Mechanic

    Robert Stephenson should be cut. That's just unconscious knowledge.

  13. #40
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    48,693

    Re: Hunter Greene

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Serious question, is there any amount of innings which would actually cause you to question whether the Reds made a poor decision?
    I'm sure there is. It's not under 10.

  14. #41
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    37,126

    Re: Hunter Greene

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I'm sure there is. It's not under 10.
    So what's your number?
    Wanted: Big Red Mechanic

    Robert Stephenson should be cut. That's just unconscious knowledge.

  15. #42
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    11,231

    Re: Hunter Greene

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I'm sure there is. It's not under 10.
    I’ll point out again the reason Hunter is under 10 innings pitched right now is because of how bad he has been. It took him 55 pitches to go 1.2 today.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  16. Likes:

    M2 (05-03-2018),REDREAD (05-04-2018)

  17. #43
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    48,693

    Re: Hunter Greene

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I’ll point out again the reason Hunter is under 10 innings pitched right now is because of how bad he has been. It took him 55 pitches to go 1.2 today.
    Great. If he had gone 3 innings he's still be at like 11 innings this year.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    So what's your number?
    At least another month of pitching without any sort of improvements show.

  18. #44
    Wait... What? Vander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    734

    Re: Hunter Greene

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Serious question, is there any amount of innings which would actually cause you to question whether the Reds made a poor decision?
    There is not one single number, no. But it's waaaaaaay more than 8. I wouldn't even be too concerned if he had a bad full first year.

  19. #45
    Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Monterey, CA
    Posts
    12,990

    Re: Hunter Greene

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Serious question, is there any amount of innings which would actually cause you to question whether the Reds made a poor decision?
    It's not the number of innings but rather whether Greene shows marked improvement or not over the next couple months. Worst case is he goes to Billings when their season opens.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. -- Mahatma Gandhi

  20. Likes:

    Vander (05-03-2018)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | JaxRed | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator