Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunter Greene

Re: Hunter Greene

Quote Originally Posted by Vander View Post
    There is not one single number, no. But it's waaaaaaay more than 8. I wouldn't even be too concerned if he had a bad full first year.
    So there is no number and nothing that happens will cause you to entertain the notion that maybe the Reds miscalculated.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    At least another month of pitching without any sort of improvements show.
    That's like 8 more IP at this rate.

4. Likes:

REDREAD (05-04-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    So there is no number and nothing that happens will cause you to entertain the notion that maybe the Reds miscalculated.
    This kind of reply is why I generally don't engage in discussion with you. That's not what I said and you know it's not what I said. I just said there isn't a specific number.

This kind of reply is why I generally don't engage in discussion with you. That's not what I said and you know it's not what I said. I just said there isn't a specific number.
    And that you wouldn't be concerned if he had a bad season. The consequence of that is you're ready to go with the flow whatever the flow is. And that's why I don't engage with you much either.

And that you wouldn't be concerned if he had a bad season. The consequence of that is you're ready to go with the flow whatever the flow is. And that's why I don't engage with you much either.
    I don't have endless patience, but I'm willing to give him a year. Reading what I say and not assuming you know what I think is just common courtesy. I try to do it for you. I don't know why you refuse to do it for others.

8. Likes:

Redeyecat (05-04-2018)

I don't have endless patience, but I'm willing to give him a year. Reading what I say and not assuming you know what I think is just common courtesy. I try to do it for you. I don't know why you refuse to do it for others.
    So you said something with a clear implication. You've now confirmed it. Yet you're ticked off at me for stating it explicitly? Common courtesy indeed.

I'm going to suggest anyone reading this meta discussion is bored to tears and we get back to Greene/Reds.

So you said something with a clear implication. You've now confirmed it. Yet you're ticked off at me for stating it explicitly? Common courtesy indeed.

I'm going to suggest anyone reading this meta discussion is bored to tears and we get back to Greene/Reds.
    "So there is no number and nothing that happens will cause you to entertain the notion that maybe the Reds miscalculated."

This is what you said. It was an assumption. It is false. You do this every time we talk on this forum, and it has made being in any thread with you annoying.

But yes. I'm not derailing this thread anymore. But I'm not about to just let you get away with that. We're done talking about this.

I get the point of 8 innings being a small sample, but the real issue is that it's 5 starts and he's been so bad that he still hasn't accumulated 10 innings now. Forget the ERA or the other stats. He's been drubbed repeatedly. If that doesn't mean rushed, I'm not sure what does. The Reds continue to try to artificially speed up the timeline by over-promoting guys. How many times do we need to see them do the same thing over and over until we can recognize it.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

12. Likes:

M2 (05-03-2018),REDREAD (05-04-2018),RiverRat13 (05-04-2018)

"So there is no number and nothing that happens will cause you to entertain the notion that maybe the Reds miscalculated."

This is what you said. It was an assumption. It is false.
    But you'd be willing to give it a whole season and aren't concerned if he has a bad season. Gotcha.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I get the point of 8 innings being a small sample, but the real issue is that it's 5 starts and he's been so bad that he still hasn't accumulated 10 innings now. Forget the ERA or the other stats. He's been drubbed repeatedly. If that doesn't mean rushed, I'm not sure what does. The Reds continue to try to artificially speed up the timeline by over-promoting guys. How many times do we need to see them do the same thing over and over until we can recognize it.
    They need to dust off Tim Naehring's accelerated pitching development program.

15. Likes:

REDREAD (05-04-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    High school draftees are children. I was willing to give Santillan a year to figure things out too. I remember this forum during his 1st season after he was drafted after he got destroyed in Dayton. People were claiming he was a bust right away, that he was never going to learn any kind of control. They were being reactionary, which seems to be what this forum has turned into during the rebuild. And now? He's one of the top prospects in the system. He had to learn how to pitch.

Hunter Greene has a minuscule amount of pitching experience under his belt. He was shut down early in his senior year and was a two-way player for the rest of high school. He had never fully devoted himself to pitching before being drafted. However, he has insane pure talent and that led to him showing very high quality pitching in his first few starts this year. The pitch count and era sucked from those starts, but it was inflated by him having insanely bad luck. Does "rushing" a kid suddenly mean every bloop and dribler is going to go for a single? He actually pitched pretty well. Over the last few starts, his control has wavered and he's been punished for it. But again, that's pretty normal for an 18 year old kid.

Panicking at this point is just silly. Is he healthy? Seems so. Is he still maintaining his velocity? Sure is. Is he still overmatching some hitters when his control is there? You bet he is. Given all that, I could not possibly care less what is ERA is. As long as he's learning, then I'm happy.

But next year, I want to see him kicking some ass.

@M2 - Just stop. I said we're done talking about this.

High school draftees are children. I was willing to give Santillan a year to figure things out too. I remember this forum during his 1st season after he was drafted after he got destroyed in Dayton. People were claiming he was a bust right away, that he was never going to learn any kind of control. They were being reactionary, which seems to be what this forum has turned into during the rebuild. And now? He's one of the top prospects in the system. He had to learn how to pitch.

Hunter Greene has a minuscule amount of pitching experience under his belt. He was shut down early in his senior year and was a two-way player for the rest of high school. He had never fully devoted himself to pitching before being drafted. However, he has insane pure talent and that led to him showing very high quality pitching in his first few starts this year. The pitch count and era sucked from those starts, but it was inflated by him having insanely bad luck. Does "rushing" a kid suddenly mean every bloop and dribler is going to go for a single? He actually pitched pretty well. Over the last few starts, his control has wavered and he's been punished for it. But again, that's pretty normal for an 18 year old kid.

Panicking at this point is just silly. Is he healthy? Seems so. Is he still maintaining his velocity? Sure is. Is he still overmatching some hitters when his control is there? You bet he is. Given all that, I could not possibly care less what is ERA is. As long as he's learning, then I'm happy.

I don’t see anyone panicking. Everyone is wondering why the reds decided to put an 18 year old “child” in Dayton against 22-25 year olds instead of instructional ball until Billings opens up.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Not everyone is. Like two of you are.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I don’t see anyone panicking. Everyone is wondering why the reds decided to put an 18 year old “child” in Dayton against 22-25 year olds instead of instructional ball until Billings opens up.
    Because he seems to have the stuff that warrants him being there. Getting your first taste of Low-A can be rough. Santillan's a perfect example. And much of his "drubbing" was babip-fueled luck, so rushing to judgement seems rash.

And I would consider the claim that he's being rushed and he should never have been sent to Dayton to be a somewhat panic-induced idea. Maybe my definition of panic is different from yours though...

High school draftees are children. ... Hunter Greene has a minuscule amount of pitching experience under his belt. He was shut down early in his senior year and was a two-way player for the rest of high school. He had never fully devoted himself to pitching before being drafted. ... Over the last few starts, his control has wavered and he's been punished for it. But again, that's pretty normal for an 18 year old kid.
    And that's why this was a sketchy idea from the jump.

Getting his head kicked in for a full season is not the way to get there.

And yet you just keep going.

Turn Off Ads?