Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone noticed what Dilson Herrera is doing?

Re: Has anyone noticed what Dilson Herrera is doing?

Quote Originally Posted by TommyJ View Post
    Can someone please explain to me why Senzel can't develop into an average shortstop given his reported athleticism? I have a very hard time grasping how it is a seemingly forgone conclusion he can be good at 2nd but can't be average at shortstop, especially in an age where flyballs and shifts are becoming much more prevalent.

I just don't understand how a Suarez, Senzel, Gennett/Long/Herrera infield doesn't project better than a Suarez, Peraza, Senzel infield. The Reds are essentially saying Peraza's defense is worth more than the upgrade you would get from that trio with the bat.
    That's exactly what the Reds are saying. They are telling you that none of those other guys can play defensively at SS. Now, it's time for the fanbase to buy it.

In addition we don't even know yet if Senzel can play 2B, he might have to move to the OF or be traded.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TommyJ View Post
    Can someone please explain to me why Senzel can't develop into an average shortstop given his reported athleticism? I have a very hard time grasping how it is a seemingly forgone conclusion he can be good at 2nd but can't be average at shortstop, especially in an age where flyballs and shifts are becoming much more prevalent.

I just don't understand how a Suarez, Senzel, Gennett/Long/Herrera infield doesn't project better than a Suarez, Peraza, Senzel infield. The Reds are essentially saying Peraza's defense is worth more than the upgrade you would get from that trio with the bat.
    It might not be the case that they don’t think he CAN turn himself Into a serviceable defensive SS, but it might take him a year or two to get there, so why not find him a spot he can sooner make an impact at. They may also fear that in two year he will lose enough range to ever be serviceable. And if he isn’t a real solution there, find someone that is in the off-season if Peraza doesn’t claim it. If you know Suarez and Senzel aren’t the solution, don’t force it.

2b is a much less difficult position than SS. I don’t think a lot on here grasp how difficult SS is truly is. 2b has a Much shorter throw, much less need for range especially with all the shifts. That’s why you see guys like Scooter play 2b, while there is a very limited amount of David Ecksteins that ever play SS.

Plays that look like a good play by the 2b are “routine” plays by a lot of SS because they are so good they make running to and scooping the ball followed by a quick throw while still moving type of plays all the time. 3b and 2b rarely make those plays.
    Last edited by Griffey012; 05-22-2018 at 05:39 PM.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

4. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-22-2018)

Clearly the Reds will just trade for and then extend Machado

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Clearly the Reds will just trade for and then extend Machado
    Well, the extension should be part of the trade negotiations.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Assuming this is not a lost year for Senzel and that he recovers from his vertigo, then he's coming. But he's not kicking a .900 OPS bat to the door (Scooter).

So, someone tell me where he plays?

I'm not saying Suarez at SS is ideal. I'm saying an IF of Votto, Scooter(2B), Suarez(SS) and Senzel(3B) is better than than one without Scooter and Peraza at SS. Also, while I know SS defense is important, they rarely play a part in HR's being launched at the SP's expense.

The moral of the story here is get better pitchers and club the other team to death with your hitters.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Assuming this is not a lost year for Senzel and that he recovers from his vertigo, then he's coming. But he's not kicking a .900 OPS bat to the door (Scooter).

So, someone tell me where he plays?
    2B, when Scooter is traded in July.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

9. Likes:

Redeyecat (05-24-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    2B, when Scooter is traded in July.
    When this happens the fallout is going to be quite the sight to behold. Scooter has turned into such a big fan favorite, it’s going to be hilarious.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    When this happens the fallout is going to be quite the sight to behold. Scooter has turned into such a big fan favorite, it’s going to be hilarious.
    Yep, those 18K Cubs fans showing up at GABP are going to be so pissed.

12. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-24-2018),Griffey012 (05-24-2018),membengal (05-24-2018),mth123 (05-24-2018),Tom Servo (05-24-2018)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    And those 7 who showed up specifically to see Scooter Gennett literally won't be noticed when they don't show up until another guy becomes their favorite.

14. Likes:

Griffey012 (05-24-2018),reds44 (05-24-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Just for the record, I fully want the reds to trade Scooter.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

I wanted them to trade him over the winter. His value might be higher now that he's showing he isn't a fluke.

I wonder if the Reds FO can get anything of value for him though. Because there is no SS in the system to fix this mess this year or next. The Reds needs are many. Does getting rid of Scooter solve any of them?

I really don't know.

I wanted them to trade him over the winter. His value might be higher now that he's showing he isn't a fluke.

I wonder if the Reds FO can get anything of value for him though. Because there is no SS in the system to fix this mess this year or next. The Reds needs are many. Does getting rid of Scooter solve any of them?

I really don't know.
    How does getting a shortstop (which is fine) fix the 'overabundance of second basemen' problem?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

How does getting a shortstop (which is fine) fix the 'overabundance of second basemen' problem?
    It doesn't which is why I want Suarez playing SS. No one else agrees.

But Peraza sure as hell isn't the answer at SS.

But Peraza sure as hell isn't the answer at SS.
    I'm losing faith that he'll get to where he needs to be, but man he's gotten so little rope compared to years of Hamilton and Cozart flailing away. I can't shake the feeling that the Reds dump him and he goes somewhere else and hits like Jean Segura, who had just a .266/.301/.360 line after his first 2000 PAs (1000 more than Peraza).

20. Likes:

Griffey012 (05-24-2018),Redeyecat (05-26-2018)

I'm losing faith that he'll get to where he needs to be, but man he's gotten so little rope compared to years of Hamilton and Cozart flailing away. I can't shake the feeling that the Reds dump him and he goes somewhere else and hits like Jean Segura, who had just a .266/.301/.360 line after his first 2000 PAs (1000 more than Peraza).
    Hamilton ad Cozart are elite defenders.

Peraza ent that, so he gets less rope. He brings so little to the table overall.

22. Likes:

mth123 (05-24-2018)

Turn Off Ads?