Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Senzel debut not imminent

Re: Senzel debut not imminent

Quote Originally Posted by Homer's Ghost View Post
    I don’t think winker is an everyday player with a .737 OPS, considering his lack of speed and defense.

I am also not going to sit here and assume Winker is a .737 OPS player. Let him play. Let’s find out.

- - - Updated - - -

They don’t have playing time for Senzel (or Blandino), what are you going to find out by him sitting on the bench the rest of the year?

Dilson has gone a long time battling injuries and not having a ton of success. Let him keep raking for now.
    The comment was based on Scooter being traded next month, opening 2B for Dilson for the 2nd half. I don't think anyone thinks Blandino is a starting option, maybe I'm wrong?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Back from the dead..maybe Homer's Ghost's Avatar

Nope, I’m okay with that plan lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    Truly though:

Why can't Suarez play SS? Dude has a cannon. He's put on some hitting weight since he first joined the team, but a Senzel, Suarez, Gennett, and Votto infield is pretty stellar.
    That's one of the TWO obvious solutions, IMO, with Senzel to SS being the other.

Of course, for having several players that according to Williams "can play several positions", the Reds are somehow constrained from trying either.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

5. Likes:

forfreelin04 (06-15-2018),Kingspoint (06-13-2018),membengal (06-13-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    "plus"?
    Baseball Prospectus thinks so:
    Winker is a polished, major-league-ready corner outfielder with a plus hit tool and a strong approach at the plate.
    https://www.baseballprospectus.com/p...ylor-trammell/

Fangraphs thinks so:
    But Winker has such terrific natural feel for contact that hes still quite likely to be a good, everyday big leaguer. He has a smooth, low-effort, all-fields swing and terrific hand-eye coordination and bat control that have led him to a career .295 average with a 13.4% walk and 15.8% strikeout rate over five pro seasons. Its a stable, if perhaps unspectacular, overall offensive profile headlined by a future 70 bat.
    They also gave him a 60/70 on his hit tool. 60 is Plus and 70 is plus plus.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/scou...couting-scale/

That being said a plus hit tool translates to a .280-.285 or so average. Which that in itself doesn't mean a lot if the power, speed, and defense are 40s. However, to say he has "literally none of the five tools" as the poster stated that I was responding to, is just inaccurate.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

7. Likes:

Red Raindog (06-13-2018),RED VAN HOT (06-13-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Baseball Prospectus thinks so:

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/p...ylor-trammell/

Fangraphs thinks so: They also gave him a 60/70 on his hit tool. 60 is Plus and 70 is plus plus.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/scou...couting-scale/

That being said a plus hit tool translates to a .280-.285 or so average. Which that in itself doesn't mean a lot if the power, speed, and defense are 40s. However, to say he has "literally none of the five tools" as the poster stated that I was responding to, is just inaccurate.
    yeah, and i admitted that. he has 1 tool.

yay.

He plays RF with all the aplomb of a pregnant camel in a forest fire.*

*courtesy Bill James
    "There was like a softness to it, a glow to it. I felt... I felt warm."

-- Joseph Daniel Votto 7/10/2017

9. Likes:

REDREAD (06-13-2018)

Love ripping guys defense who are obviously playing out of position.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

11. Likes:

Kinsm (06-13-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    That's one of the TWO obvious solutions, IMO, with Senzel to SS being the other.

Of course, for having several players that according to Williams "can play several positions", the Reds are somehow constrained from trying either.
    I have still yet to here a solid argument for why neither can move to short aside from someone just saying they "can't". I just have a very hard imaging the defense you get from Senzel/Suarez at short is worse than the advantage you get with bat in relation to Peraza. The goal shouldn't be to increase the player's value, it should be to increase the team's value.

13. Likes:

malcontent (06-15-2018)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TommyJ View Post
    I have still yet to here a solid argument for why neither can move to short aside from someone just saying they "can't". I just have a very hard imaging the defense you get from Senzel/Suarez at short is worse than the advantage you get with bat in relation to Peraza. The goal shouldn't be to increase the player's value, it should be to increase the team's value.
    Because they don't have the range to play shortstop.

If the Reds believed either guy could play shortstop, they'd be playing shortstop.

I really wish people would stop bringing up the idea. It is absolutely not happening.

15. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (06-15-2018),HokieRed (06-15-2018),InsaneinthBrame (06-13-2018),Kinsm (06-13-2018),REDREAD (06-15-2018),Sea Ray (06-15-2018),SoTxRedsFan (06-15-2018),WrongVerb (06-13-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Because they don't have the range to play shortstop.

If the Reds believed either guy could play shortstop, they'd be playing shortstop.

I really wish people would stop bringing up the idea. It is absolutely not happening.
    This is the typical cop-out.

You assume the Reds brass have a a clue what their doing. Pretty sure this was the same team that allowed statues Rich Aurilla, Royce Clayton, and Orlando Cabrera to man short for them. Plus, they chose Cozart over Didi.

I'll agree that range at SS is important, but with these defensive shifts on the infield, is it as much? Does Peraza's defense prevent more runs than keeping Suarez, Gennett, and Senzel in the lineup provides?

You assume the Reds brass have a a clue what their doing. Pretty sure this was the same team that allowed statues Rich Aurilla, Royce Clayton, and Orlando Cabrera to man short for them.
    What do decisions from over a decade ago have to do with anything? And the latter two weren't statues, they were just old and not nearly as good as they were in their prime.

Redszone has ALWAYS blown a gasket over poor defense but simultaneously wants to play guys at positions they have no business playing.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

18. Likes:

Chip R (06-15-2018),Homer's Ghost (06-15-2018),Mitri (06-15-2018),OGB (06-15-2018),RedsfaninMT (06-15-2018),Wonderful Monds (06-15-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by TommyJ View Post
    I would think someone who is considered one of the best defensive third basemen in baseball and has very good range as a third basemen along with experience at the big league level at short stop could at least play well enough at short stop that his bat would easily makeup for any drop off in defense seen between he and Peraza.

20. Likes:

Chip R (06-15-2018),Revering4Blue (06-15-2018)

Senzel playing second base in Louisville tells me all I need to know.

Its just a matter of what and when they're going to do with Scooter.

22. Likes:

Homer's Ghost (06-15-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    What do decisions from over a decade ago have to do with anything? And the latter two weren't statues, they were just old and not nearly as good as they were in their prime.

Redszone has ALWAYS blown a gasket over poor defense but simultaneously wants to play guys at positions they have no business playing.
    Just making the argument that the Reds don't always know what their doing when it comes to placing the right guy's at their positions.

There was much gnashing of teeth over Orlando Cabrera's defense here on Redszone in 2010, but yet the Reds broke their playoff slump that year.

Here's some stats worth chewing on:
    Range Factor Per 9 inning

Suarez 2015 at SS 4.29 > Peraza 2018 4.01

Jose Peraza's 8 errors at SS leads the NL

Just making the argument that the Reds don't always know what their doing when it comes to placing the right guy's at their positions.

There was much gnashing of teeth over Orlando Cabrera's defense here on Redszone in 2010, but yet the Reds broke their playoff slump that year.

Hey, I was on record for not wanting to move Suarez off shortstop in the first place. But that's done, there's no real going back on it at this point. And I count Trea Turner as having 8 errors at SS too, not that I put much stock into that number at the moment.

Peraza certainly doesn't have some huge leash on the job, but this whole business about putting this guy at SS and that guy in CF, I'm not on board with it.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; 06-15-2018 at 12:00 PM.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

I think the issue with Suarez many people have is the fact he’s filled out his body since then (not in a bad way). Not sure he can still cover as much range.

I would personally give it a try.

26. Likes:

Revering4Blue (06-15-2018)

Turn Off Ads?