Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A new insight on the Reds trade of Cueto

Re: An new insight on the Reds trade of Cueto

Did I miss something.
    I have not seen where Finnegan had his arm cut off.

He is 25 with a 4.11 ERA in the majors over 260 IP.
    He had a 2,2 bwar in 2016

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    Did I miss something.
    I have not seen where Finnegan had his arm cut off.

He is 25 with a 4.11 ERA in the majors over 260 IP.
    He had a 2,2 bwar in 2016
    I've been a supporter but he got rocked in his last AAA start and was reportedly barely touching 90 mph. Not liking the chances of him coming back and contributing anything to the Reds in the immediate future.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

4. Likes:

corkedbat (06-19-2018),reds44 (06-19-2018)

Finnegan and Reed were in BA’s top 100 MLB prospect list at #55 and #34 respectively. Finnegan was a #1 draft pick who has already been a World Seréis hero and Reed was a #2 draft pick.

It was a very solid return for a three month rental of Cueto.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

6. Likes:

bucksfan2 (06-19-2018),Chip R (06-19-2018),HeatherC1212 (06-20-2018),Patrick Bateman (06-19-2018),PuffyPig (06-19-2018),REDREAD (06-19-2018),reds44 (06-19-2018),Revering4Blue (06-19-2018),RiverRat13 (06-19-2018)

I can understand where people are coming from about getting the best return irrespective of other factors, but on the other hand I wonder if the extra consideration that the front office showed to Cueto (and probably others) makes signing Barnhart and Suarez to team-friendly long-term deals possible. Does it build up good will with your other players? Probably.

8. Likes:

757690 (06-19-2018),jimbo (06-20-2018)

He has plenty of control time and has had success before.

I think the Reds have really did him wrong by bring him back to the majors too soon. Bad starts will happen when you are coming back from a year off. This year is about him working back to where he was before injury.

With pitchers sometimes you have to have patience.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    He has plenty of control time and has had success before.

I think the Reds have really did him wrong by bring him back to the majors too soon. Bad starts will happen when you are coming back from a year off. This year is about him working back to where he was before injury.

With pitchers sometimes you have to have patience.
    A bigger issue was how many innings and how deep into games Finnegan pitches his frost season as a starter in the majors. I don’t think it was a shock that he has arm problems the next season.

And Reed was clearly rushed, and then kept in the rotation way too long his first call up.

The problem wasn’t the return. The problem was how the Reds handled the players once the got to the organization.

11. Likes:

Revering4Blue (06-19-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    The Chapman trade was the worst trade I've ever seen.
    They didn’t want an accused domestic abuser on the team. There’s worse decisions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Hindsight sure helps in judging a trade, doesn’t it?

14. Likes:

Ben Zinger (06-19-2018)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Midseason trades generally provide more value than offseason trades: teams know with much greater certainty that they're in the playoff race, they have a greater sense of their needs, and there's much less supply to fill those needs. I'm not sure if Cueto could have netted those 3 prospects in December.
    I suspect the return would have been on par with what the Pirates received for Gerrit Cole. But since I hate counter-factuals, I'll just say that in hindsight, trading Cueto during that off-season (or even during the 2014 season) would have been the better option.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Homer's Ghost View Post
    They didn’t want an accused domestic abuser on the team. There’s worse decisions.
    I understand that but Chapman was probably the most talented pitcher in the league at the time just because he has that black cloud over his head should not have decreased his value to a 40 year old Bronson Arroyo.
    The television crews left and about 10 reporters remained in the room. That's when Price took his turn doing the talking.
    What followed was a five-minute, 34-second expletive-filled tirade. The final tally was 77 uses of the "F" word or a variant and 11 uses of a vulgar term for feces (two bovine, one equine).

Quote Originally Posted by Homer's Ghost View Post
    That season they signed an accused rapist, who they previously had on their team, after he was accused of rape.

And what nobody seems to remember is that the original Chapman trade the Dodgers backed out of, was almost as terrible. It was the same player’s the Reds got for Frazier: Peraza, Schebler and Dixon. They were dumping Chapman and Frazier for whatever they could get. They never were going to get much for them, even if the domestic abuse case didn’t get revealed.

18. Likes:

Jdattilo (06-19-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Finnegan and Reed were in BA’s top 100 MLB prospect list at #55 and #34 respectively. Finnegan was a #1 draft pick who has already been a World Seréis hero and Reed was a #2 draft pick.

It was a very solid return for a three month rental of Cueto.
    Yep, for a time after the trade it looked like a possible huge steal for the Reds. Finnegan had already shown some aptitude in MLB. Reed was skyrocketing on best prospect lists. Heck I even thought Lamb could make a good bullpen piece for us. But they are all pitchers (lefties at that), and injuries have impacted all 3, especially Lamb and Finnegan. Reed is a bit more of a mystery. I think there is still hope that we can get something valuable from Reed and Finnegan, but neither of them seem to be trending favorably at the moment.

20. Likes:

757690 (06-19-2018),Revering4Blue (06-19-2018)

Baseball is a human relationship business. How does an executive NOT become friends with players they associate with regularly? Do their best to not let friendships interfere with business but it is going to.

As a fan I don't want to see Votto traded to a terribly run organization (after all, he's already spent enough time with one) but if they get him to Toronto for a couple of their best prospects and salary relief that they could then turn into an ace pitcher?

The failure to trade Larkin to the Mets was shot down mostly for sentimental reasons. Getting Cueto to the Royals for a pennant shot while netting 3 good prospects? I don't see the problem even though the deal hasn't turned out as we hoped.

The Chapman deal was horrible and for all the wrong reasons, the wrong timing, the wrong return and just about every RZer saw it at the time. You can argue the Cueto deal should have been done the prior winter but I don't think you could have gotten a better package. The timing of that deal, OK, you can argue it one way or another but it was a good deal at the time. Chapman? Horrible. Frazier? Here's where a timing argument could be made successfully. The package for Todd was likely the best available given the timing but a mid season deal should have netted better prospects.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

22. Likes:

757690 (06-19-2018),Ben Zinger (06-19-2018),Revering4Blue (06-19-2018)

My God

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    As crude as this will come across, I think it fits: Never name your farm animals.
    I dunno, I would argue the more you humanize farm animals the better they taste.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

25. Likes:

WrongVerb (06-19-2018)

Turn Off Ads?