Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2018/2019 International Signing Period

2018/2019 International Signing Period

Are the signing restrictions still on for 2018-19?

You could kinda/sorta think of Miguel Medrano (and one other?) as part of the haul since they were acquired with pool funds.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Reds 2017-18 International Signing Period - Over

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Are the signing restrictions still on for 2018-19?

You could kinda/sorta think of Miguel Medrano (and one other?) as part of the haul since they were acquired with pool funds.
    Yes. The Reds can not sign anyone starting on July 2nd for more than $300,000. Last signing period (the one that just ended), they didn't even spend half that much on a single player.

4. Likes:

REDREAD (06-20-2018)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Baseball America
    @BaseballAmerica

The Reds are connected to a switch-hitting shortstop. But @BenBadler writes it's also possible they trade away a good chunk of their remaining bonus pool space.

http://buff.ly/2yxjFC4
    5:10pm · 21 Jun 2018
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

6. Likes:

REDREAD (06-25-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Baseball America
    @BaseballAmerica

The Reds are connected to a switch-hitting shortstop. But @BenBadler writes it's also possible they trade away a good chunk of their remaining bonus pool space.

http://buff.ly/2yxjFC4
    http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018/?list=int

Out of the MLB.com Top 30, the only switch hitting SS I can identify is Junior Sanquintin, who is connected to Cleveland.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

8. Likes:

REDREAD (06-25-2018),Spanky (06-21-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

Out of the MLB.com Top 30, the only switch hitting SS I can identify is Junior Sanquintin, who is connected to Cleveland.
    Badler's NL Central signing preview has the Reds connected with Esmil Torres (he's the switch-hitting SS) from the DR. As stated above, he notes that the Reds will likely trade the bulk of their pool away.
    "Do we need to have 280 brands of breakfast cereal? No, probably not. But we have them for a reason - because some people like them. It's the same with baseball statistics." ~ Bill James

10. Likes:

REDREAD (06-25-2018),Tom Servo (06-21-2018)

Reds won't be signing anyone's top 30 IFA prospect this year.

I hope we can do better with trading our international bonus pool money away this year.
    Now, they did get that low minors pitcher (I forget his name).. I would like to see more moves like that, even if they flame out, then trading for close to majors mediocrity like Longhi.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I hope we can do better with trading our international bonus pool money away this year.
    Now, they did get that low minors pitcher (I forget his name).. I would like to see more moves like that, even if they flame out, then trading for close to majors mediocrity like Longhi.
    I think the other guy was Randy Ventura an outfielder.

14. Likes:

REDREAD (06-25-2018)

Re: 2018/2019 International Signing Period

Last year the got Longhi (who is quickly working himself into a UT role in the minors), Ventura, and Medrano.

16. Likes:

REDREAD (06-25-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
    I think the other guy was Randy Ventura an outfielder.
    yea, he was another guy.. I was thinking of Medrano.. but you were still right thanks for the help.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

In addition to Esmil Torres, who Ben Bader (Baseball America) connected to the Reds, Fangraphs put up their J2 Board today, and another name shows up as a Cincinnati lean.

Alexander Vargas, a switch-hit SS, is ranked #14 for them. 6'0, 150. Projected $3MM bonus.

Report:

Though he's eligible to sign this year, Vargas hit the market late, when much of the finite aggregate pool money was already unspokenly spoken for by other players in the class, so it's possible Vargas waits until 2019 to sign in order to get a better deal. We consider the Reds the favorites to employ him. Vargas has a well-proportioned 6-foot frame with some room for mass. His right-handed swing is much more competent than his left-handed one at present but they're each viable pro swings with lift to Vargas' pull side. Defensively, Vargas' footwork is excellent, his hands/actions are fine and he should grow into enough arm strength to play the left side of the infield, but if he doesn't then he's a better fit at second base. There's interesting raw material here, nothing explosive
    "Do we need to have 280 brands of breakfast cereal? No, probably not. But we have them for a reason - because some people like them. It's the same with baseball statistics." ~ Bill James

19. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-29-2018),lollipopcurve (06-29-2018),OnBaseMachine (07-01-2018),Tom Servo (06-29-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by CRDB40 View Post
    In addition to Esmil Torres, who Ben Bader (Baseball America) connected to the Reds, Fangraphs put up their J2 Board today, and another name shows up as a Cincinnati lean.

Alexander Vargas, a switch-hit SS, is ranked #14 for them. 6'0, 150. Projected $3MM bonus.

Report:
    Well that’s interesting, Fangraphs said this too

Vargas is a talented shortstop whose skills befit a $2.0-$2.5 million dollar player, but he might have to wait until the 2019 period to get that kind of money because teams had already committed money to other players before he became eligible. Chatter amongst scouts is he just struck a deal for that amount or more, but for a deal in the 2019 signing year, for which he would wait 12 months to sign.
    I’d say that gentleman’s agreement is probably with us then, and likely takes the suspense out of next years International period lol.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

21. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-29-2018),JaxRed (06-29-2018),lollipopcurve (06-29-2018)

I'm kinda confused how it's possible for us to sign this guy. Aren't we only allowed to sign him for $300k? He's not signing until next year and just spends the next 12 months in Cuba?

I’d say that gentleman’s agreement is probably with us then, and likely takes the suspense out of next years International period lol.
    That's rather disappointing if you ask me...it means we still havent figured out how to sign somewhat relevant international prospects outside of Cuba.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

This is about the only Alexander Vargas content I can find on the internet

25. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (06-30-2018)

Turn Off Ads?