Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Sal Romano

Sal Romano

What kind of pitcher is he? A starter a reliever or maybe just a place filler?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sal Romano

As I said in the game thread...I was there tonight sitting right behind home plate and I was shocked at how straight his stuff is. Lorenzen has so many more pitches than him it is ridiculous. He is not the answer long term for starter unless he learns more pitches. I know some were making fun of Marty calling it a debacle but it was way worse than the line shows. I would switch Lorenzen and Romano or bring up Stephenson because long term this ain’t going to work.
    Last edited by paulrichjr; 06-30-2018 at 12:30 AM.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

4. Likes:

Rolando (06-29-2018)

He still has a chance to be a starter, not sure if I'd send him to Louisville at this point, let him sink or swim.
    Go Gators!

From Cincinnati.com :

"I don't draw much positive out of that tonight. Sal is better than that," Riggleman said. "He faced 25 hitters in five innings. That's not going to cut it. He's better than that. He's thrown better than that lately. Tonight he was a little bit all over the place. It felt like it was 5-0, and it was only 2-0. That was not a positive outing."

"I didn't let it implode," Romano said. "Besides the home run I gave up, I didn't really give up the big hit, which I've had problems with in the past -- letting the game get out of hand. When you leave the game down 2-0 with the offense we have, you've got a pretty good shot to win. It wasn't like that tonight. It happens. It's one of those games where you have to battle through," Romano said. "I had to battle every inning."
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    As I said in the game thread...I was there tonight sitting right behind home plate and I was shocked at how straight his stuff is. Lorenzen has so many more pitches than him it is ridiculous. He is not the answer long term for starter unless he learns more pitches. I know some were making fun of Marty calling it a debacle but it was way worse than the line shows. I would switch Lorenzen and Romano or bring up Stephenson because long term this ain’t going to work.
    I don't recall which thread it was posted in and I'd have no idea where to find the data, but I recall seeing some data posted that says he actually has some of the top velocity and movement of any starter in the game.

I agree his stuff did look straight tonight, but I don't think that's always the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Filler

He needs more consistency to keep his sinker down.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

He's a filler pitcher will average a little over 5 innings a start with an era 4.80+

I thought his breaking ball was good and more consistent than earlier in the season. Can't comment on movement, but fastball command was definitely an issue. Yesterday was a poor start, but I see continued, if uneven, improvement. He is a starter.

We know that eventually Homer will be starting. Assuming Harvey is not traded, Romano is definitely a leading candidate to be sent down. My preference would be to send Castillo down. I hadn't been concerned about his velocity until his last game. If there was ever a time for a 98 MPH FB is was in that big inning by Atlanta. Yet, it was not there.

Romano hasn’t been a consistent pitcher this year. The Reds have to decide whether it’s a matter of growth or a matter of underlying pitching ability. Whether they can afford to devote a rotation spot to Romano going forward this year, next year.

His numbers are pretty terrible, despite those two good outings against KC and Detroit. His ERA and FIP are over 5, his K rate is under 7, his WHIP is 1.49 his HR rate is 1.5. There’s no way he can succeed with those kinds of numbers, but maybe Reds see something more there.

Reds have to look at the whole package and decide, like with all these kids it’s a bet on the future. Can’t just keep throwing the same guys out there, have to make some calls.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-30-2018 at 09:28 PM.

13. Likes:

Rolando (06-30-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Romano hasn’t been a consistent pitcher this year. The Reds have to decide whether it’s a matter of growth or a matter of underlying pitching ability. Whether they can afford to devote a rotation spot to Romano going forward this year, next year.

His numbers are pretty terrible, despite those two good outings against KC and Detroit. His ERA and FIP are over 5, his K rate is under 7, his WHIP is 1.49 his HR rate is 1.5. There’s no way he can succeed with those kinds of numbers, but maybe Reds see something more there.

Reds have to look at the whole package and decide, like with all these kids it’s a bet on the future. Can’t just keep throwing the same guys out there, have to make some calls.
    Thanks for the reply I agree with all this

I still think Romano can be a Leake or Arroyo caliber back of the rotation starter. To do it, he needs to improve his change-up. At this point, I'd send him down to work on it. It's inevitable that Bailey will get more starts after his last rehab and I think Lorenzen may need another look as a starter if for no other reason to take advantage of his bat. Some AL team may envinsion him in an Ohtani role if he can show he can start.

At age 23 and 24,Bronson Arroyo's FIP was 5.22 in 160 innings. Romano's is 4.68 in 177 innings and counting. I still think he can eat innings effectively and be pretty valuable. Too soon to write him off, but he needs that change-up to keep from following the Sam Lecure/Jackson Stephens path.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

16. Likes:

Kingspoint (07-01-2018),Rolando (07-01-2018),The Operator (07-01-2018),Tom Servo (07-01-2018),Tuff Nut (07-02-2018)

Robert Stephenson is really shining at AAA. his last 10 starts 6-3 3.06 ERA 1.15 WHIP 72 K's in 52 1/3 IP for a 12.4 K/9.

Some guys take a little longer, but he's showing he might be ready. Romano has K issues, and throws laser straight.

If Romano doesn't kick it up a notch, his replacement is probably ready.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I had forgotten about Sal.

5+ ERA in Louisville as a reliever.

That may be all she wrote.

Turn Off Ads?