Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Astros "looking hard" at Iglesias

Re: Astros "looking hard" at Iglesias

Quote Originally Posted by Tribe Guy View Post
    Houston and Cleveland can also look elsewhere as well if the price is too high. I agree the Reds need to do well if they trade Iglesias and that they don't have to trade him, but at the same time Houston and Cleveland also need to do what is right for their teams. If it doesn't work with the Reds, they can look to San Diego, Miami, and other places for a reliever.
    By all means, please do.

The Reds are more than happy to keep Iglesias. If the Tribe wants years of a cheap closer, then you're going to have to pay for it. Because we don't want to give him up.

The price is high because he's valuable. For a club who is at the start of their window a trade for a controlled bullpen piece like Iggy is a trade they don't have to make next year and the year after.

2. Turn Off Ads?

It's not like we have another closer in the wings nor do we have to trade Iggy for $$ reasons. Therefore I only trade him if we're bowled over with an offer. In general terms I want at least three prospects who play positions of need. In other words, no 1B, C, 3B or LF.

4. Likes:

757690 (07-01-2018),Griffey012 (07-01-2018),marcshoe (07-01-2018)

Remember what the Indians gave up for Andrew Miller? It is going to take at least that for Iglesias.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

6. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-01-2018),WrongVerb (07-01-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It's not like we have another closer in the wings nor do we have to trade Iggy for $$ reasons. Therefore I only trade him if we're bowled over with an offer. In general terms I want at least three prospects who play positions of need. In other words, no 1B, C, 3B or LF.
    I’d be ok with Hughes or Garrett closing. Maybe Lorenzen.

8. Likes:

TerraformFPS (07-02-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Remember what the Indians gave up for Andrew Miller? It is going to take at least that for Iglesias.
    Do you think Iglesias is as good as Andrew Miller in 2016? I don't. I mean, I think he's a good pitcher, but not as good as Miller. (And also, he's not a southpaw.)
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

10. Likes:

cumberlandreds (07-02-2018),Donder (07-01-2018),mth123 (07-01-2018),ochoa30 (07-01-2018),RiverRat13 (07-01-2018)

Houston and Cleveland can also look elsewhere as well if the price is too high. I agree the Reds need to do well if they trade Iglesias and that they don't have to trade him, but at the same time Houston and Cleveland also need to do what is right for their teams. If it doesn't work with the Reds, they can look to San Diego, Miami, and other places for a reliever.
    I agree with this. I don't see getting the haul for Iglesias everyone wants and the Reds probably won't deal him for what contenders will be willing to pay. There are so many terrible teams with late inning relievers who they will make available, contenders will decide what they will shop with and move on to somebody else. If the Reds won't deal Iggy for Cionel Perez and Myles Straw, they'll move on to Brad Hand, Kyle Barraclaugh, Blake Treinin, Brad Brach or any of about 15 late innings guys likely to flood the deadline market. Somebody will take it. Teams in need of a true closer (Philly, Atlanta maybe Milwaukee) might pay for somebody like Iggy. Cleveland may if Miller doesn't look like he's coming back, but like it or not, Iggy isn't Chapman or what Miller was when he was dealt. His value is high because of the years of control, but teams dealing now only care about August, September and October and won't pay inflated prices for those extra years. Tanking has changed the dynamic of this market IMO. Too many sellers and not enough buyers.

I still think the best bet for Iggy is a deal with Atlanta for two or three of there solid, ready now pitching prospects. It probably won't be one of te top 2 or 3 guys though. Guys like Allard, Toussaint and Fried might be obtainable, probably not Soroka, Wright or Gohara.
    Last edited by mth123; 07-01-2018 at 05:56 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

It's not like we have another closer in the wings nor do we have to trade Iggy for $$ reasons.
    do you really not think that Garret could step into that role without issue?

Imo, he steps right into that spot and doesn't miss a beat..

The key to Iggy is that he is under team control for so long, that it’s likely he’s around for some contending years, assuming the Reds don’t screw things up.

The only reason to trade him is if he brings back players that will help the Reds when they next contend, more than he will.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Blotto View Post
    If the Reds were in contention this year, would we be willing to trade Senzel or Greene for a reliever?
    While this exercise might seem to be the same as far as how our top prospects match with theirs. It really has too many different variables.

1 of those variables. Let’s say the reds were in contention, that would insinuate our Major League team has more value than it currently does. Say a more complete offense/defense in our starting 8. Or a competent starting rotation that had 3 legit options that are racking up wins. Another variable is payroll, which has already been discussed how prospects mean more to a smaller market team who can’t sign top tier FAs or hold onto the entire core for most of their career.

Hypothetically, if we were in contention and seem to be in our window(which the Astros are and will be for at least 3 years). I would be fine with dealing Senzel as we probably already have his position filled with a quality producer.(Which the Reds already seem to have this problem)

Too early to trade Iglesias, we need to wait until he's about to be a FA and then get a lot less then offers now.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by BillyJoeJimBob View Post
    do you really not think that Garret could step into that role without issue?

Imo, he steps right into that spot and doesn't miss a beat..
    I think the Reds would miss a big beat. Simply put, the Reds do not have a surplus of pitching to deal. In fact pitching is our weakness. Garrett is barely a major leaguer. A few months ago, it was questionable whether he'd make the team. Let's let him establish himself as a set up man first

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Too early to trade Iglesias, we need to wait until he's about to be a FA and then get a lot less then offers now.
    He's not going to be a FA till 2022. Let's try to win something by then and he can be a part of that

17. Likes:

marcshoe (07-01-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Do you think Iglesias is as good as Andrew Miller in 2016? I don't. I mean, I think he's a good pitcher, but not as good as Miller. (And also, he's not a southpaw.)
    2018 Iglesias 35.2 Innings 39 strikeouts 1-1 15 saves 2.52 ERA 1.07 Whip Right hander
    2016 Chapman 31.1 innings 44 strikeouts 3-0 20 saves 2.01 ERA 0.89 Whip left hander at time of trade
    2016 Miller 45.1 innings 77 strikeouts 6-1 9 saves 1.39 ERA 0.77 Whip left hander at time of trade

I repeat Iglesias is a good reliever and is worth a lot, but he is not the equal to the 2016 Miller at that time and will not command the same type of deal.

2018 Iglesias 35.2 Innings 39 strikeouts 1-1 15 saves 2.52 ERA 1.07 Whip Right hander
    2016 Chapman 31.1 innings 44 strikeouts 3-0 20 saves 2.01 ERA 0.89 Whip left hander at time of trade
    2016 Miller 45.1 innings 77 strikeouts 6-1 9 saves 1.39 ERA 0.77 Whip left hander at time of trade

I repeat Iglesias is a good reliever and is worth a lot, but he is not the equal to the 2016 Miller at that time and will not command the same type of deal.
    How many years was Miller under control for and how expensive was he at the time?
    The television crews left and about 10 reporters remained in the room. That's when Price took his turn doing the talking.
    What followed was a five-minute, 34-second expletive-filled tirade. The final tally was 77 uses of the "F" word or a variant and 11 uses of a vulgar term for feces (two bovine, one equine).

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    How many years was Miller under control for and how expensive was he at the time?
    The Yankees signed him to a 4 yr contract prior to 2015 for $9 mill/yr

21. Likes:

Spanky (07-02-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    2016 - remainder of 9 million contract.
    2017 - 9 million
    2018 - 9 million.

2 1/2 years of control.

23. Likes:

Spanky (07-02-2018)

Turn Off Ads?