Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33

Thread: Looking for a new webhost for Wordpress, suggestions?

  1. #1
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    48,693

    Looking for a new webhost for Wordpress, suggestions?

    So last week I got an email that the company that I was using for hosting services was sold. Today I got another email telling me what that meant. And what it meant was transferring my services to another place that is owned by the company that now owns the old place. No big deal.... just kidding.

    For the same level plan, at least in terms of traffic, the price literally is 6.2 times as expensive as I have been paying. I'm pretty sure that I don't need to spend hundreds of dollars a month to host my site. If I did that kind of traffic I'd be posting this from a much nicer hotel than the Super 8 I'm currently posting from.

    With that said, I'm looking for suggestions for self-hosted WP stuff. I have to think there's a reliable, good option out there for $100 or less per month. I've been using Websynthesis, and have been very happy with their services. They weren't perfect, but they were pretty close.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,791

    Re: Looking for a new webhost for Wordpress, suggestions?

    Kinsta is great.
    “When I use a word,” Trumpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.” “The question is,” said Trumpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that’s all.”

  4. #3
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    48,693

    Re: Looking for a new webhost for Wordpress, suggestions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Kinsta is great.
    Just looked over their plans.... looks like for what I need, at least during the summer, would cost me $300 a month. Really, really, really hoping to not have to spend that kind of money.

  5. #4
    Member Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,791

    Re: Looking for a new webhost for Wordpress, suggestions?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Just looked over their plans.... looks like for what I need, at least during the summer, would cost me $300 a month. Really, really, really hoping to not have to spend that kind of money.
    I'd shoot them an email and ask about a seasonal site. My guess is they could flatten out the cost and work with you.

    A lot of this is going to factor in how supported you want your server to be. You can save money if you can administer your own.

    For me, I know Kinsta will always be up, and if something goes wrong they'll figure it out. I've never waited more than a minute or two for support on chat, etc. And it's dedicated Wordpress hosting so I have been impressed and happy with speed.

    The managed Wordpress hosting that gets mentioned a lot is WPEngine but I wasn't really impressed by their support and it looks like pricing is similar.
    “When I use a word,” Trumpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.” “The question is,” said Trumpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that’s all.”

  6. #5
    They call me "chef"
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,047

    Re: Looking for a new webhost for Wordpress, suggestions?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    So last week I got an email that the company that I was using for hosting services was sold. Today I got another email telling me what that meant. And what it meant was transferring my services to another place that is owned by the company that now owns the old place. No big deal.... just kidding.

    For the same level plan, at least in terms of traffic, the price literally is 6.2 times as expensive as I have been paying. I'm pretty sure that I don't need to spend hundreds of dollars a month to host my site. If I did that kind of traffic I'd be posting this from a much nicer hotel than the Super 8 I'm currently posting from.

    With that said, I'm looking for suggestions for self-hosted WP stuff. I have to think there's a reliable, good option out there for $100 or less per month. I've been using Websynthesis, and have been very happy with their services. They weren't perfect, but they were pretty close.
    You probably already know this but, as a general thing to keep in mind for whoever may be reading this and is in a similar situation, make sure to ask for very recent reviews of web hosts. There are a lot of hosting companies that were once great and then were bought out and gutted into mediocrity (or worse) by larger companies who buy and gut successful web hosts as a business model. A web host that was excellent 2 years ago may not longer be the same company, use the same servers, or have the same customer support team, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Guys, just stop arguing with him. He will literally never stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    Larry is living the role of the underachiever who's still struggling to get a life so he spends hours upon hours posting worthless bilge on the 'net
    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo!
    I think those are just two separate quotes and not meant to be taken together.

  7. Likes:

    Redsfaithful (07-02-2018)

  8. #6
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    48,693

    Re: Looking for a new webhost for Wordpress, suggestions?

    Yeah, that's one of the reasons I posed the question on twitter, and here - hoping people had recent experiences with companies and could provide some insight.

  9. #7
    They call me "chef"
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,047

    Re: Looking for a new webhost for Wordpress, suggestions?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yeah, that's one of the reasons I posed the question on twitter, and here - hoping people had recent experiences with companies and could provide some insight.
    It's not much of a deception or threat to us but I cringe when I think of folks who are more green factoring in older reviews or brand recognition when getting more involved and expensive web hosting. These guys bought pretty much every "small" web host that I ever researched and moved to:

    https://www.endurance.com/our-brands

    Their stable, not all of which is mentioned in the link, reads like a who's who of the best web hosts from the early 2000s to the present. There may be another similar company doing the same thing and I'm blending the two in my memory but it's annoying and deceiving either way.
    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Guys, just stop arguing with him. He will literally never stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    Larry is living the role of the underachiever who's still struggling to get a life so he spends hours upon hours posting worthless bilge on the 'net
    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo!
    I think those are just two separate quotes and not meant to be taken together.

  10. #8
    Member Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,791

    Re: Looking for a new webhost for Wordpress, suggestions?

    Really random timing because it hasn't happened in a long time - my site just went down and I had Kinsta support available basically instantly on chat.
    “When I use a word,” Trumpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.” “The question is,” said Trumpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that’s all.”

  11. #9
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    48,693

    Re: Looking for a new webhost for Wordpress, suggestions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Really random timing because it hasn't happened in a long time - my site just went down and I had Kinsta support available basically instantly on chat.
    That was my only real gripe with Websynthesis - there was no chat. You had to email them for support, and sometimes it would take hours and hours for them to respond. In several years I only recall the site actually being down for more than 2-3 minutes twice. But those two times really sucked because I was just sitting around waiting for emails to be answered.

  12. #10
    Member Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,791

    Re: Looking for a new webhost for Wordpress, suggestions?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    That was my only real gripe with Websynthesis - there was no chat. You had to email them for support, and sometimes it would take hours and hours for them to respond. In several years I only recall the site actually being down for more than 2-3 minutes twice. But those two times really sucked because I was just sitting around waiting for emails to be answered.
    Ah that was Brian Clark's host, that's right - I saw he sold everything and didn't think about it.

    Pricing for decent hosting has really jumped in recent years. You really are biting the bullet of not being reliable on cheaper hosting or paying excessive amounts for well supported.

    I could be wrong but I do think the only way around it is if you can lease a dedicated server and set it up yourself, but I'm just not that into server admin.

    You are smart to ask for suggestions here and on Twitter, web host reviews otherwise are the spammiest thing online. It's impossible to find real info that isn't being put out in hopes of getting an affiliate commission.
    “When I use a word,” Trumpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.” “The question is,” said Trumpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that’s all.”

  13. #11
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    48,693

    Re: Looking for a new webhost for Wordpress, suggestions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Ah that was Brian Clark's host, that's right - I saw he sold everything and didn't think about it.

    Pricing for decent hosting has really jumped in recent years. You really are biting the bullet of not being reliable on cheaper hosting or paying excessive amounts for well supported.

    I could be wrong but I do think the only way around it is if you can lease a dedicated server and set it up yourself, but I'm just not that into server admin.

    You are smart to ask for suggestions here and on Twitter, web host reviews otherwise are the spammiest thing online. It's impossible to find real info that isn't being put out in hopes of getting an affiliate commission.
    I've kicked around the idea so many different time about actually starting a Host-Review site just because as someone who has been running sites since 1998, I know the crap people deal with on the low end now to what may be considered the middle tier. And I feel like I know enough people running websites that it could have routinely updated reviews from people that are actually using these hosts.

    I've had a few people recommend BlueHost today. I actually tried them for a week a few years ago and was not happy at all with what they were doing and switched. I honestly don't even remember what was that I wasn't happy with, just that I had issues to the point that I went on searching for someone else almost immediately.

    I look at their hosting pages and just can't help but laugh. If you look at their WP Hosting page it's like "100M visits/month" $19.99 per month. But their VPS or dedicated servers are quite a bit different. I'm sitting here thinking to myself - hold up, you get 50,000,000 visits a month and it's not melting a shared hosting server? Who are you guys kidding?

    I'm probably still going to reach out to a few people who I know are using it to see what exactly their sites are doing.

  14. #12
    Member Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,791

    Re: Looking for a new webhost for Wordpress, suggestions?

    It's hard because for almost everyone, even business owners, Bluehost is fine. I am renting our lake house some weeks this summer and tossed up a quick website for it just to try to stand out a little, and I think I'm paying $4 a month somewhere. If it goes down sometimes I just don't care.

    Blogs with traffic are super, super rare in the grand scheme of things.
    “When I use a word,” Trumpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.” “The question is,” said Trumpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that’s all.”

  15. #13
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    48,693

    Re: Looking for a new webhost for Wordpress, suggestions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    It's hard because for almost everyone, even business owners, Bluehost is fine. I am renting our lake house some weeks this summer and tossed up a quick website for it just to try to stand out a little, and I think I'm paying $4 a month somewhere. If it goes down sometimes I just don't care.

    Blogs with traffic are super, super rare in the grand scheme of things.
    Yeah.... I mean, if I have to pay $300 a month, I guess I have to. But I'm probably going to try a few different options before going that route if possible. I've got until December to find a new host and migrate. There is time to put in the real research.

  16. #14
    Middle Class Rut TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    19,182

    Re: Looking for a new webhost for Wordpress, suggestions?

    $300 a month sure seems high.

    really? $300?
    "There was like a softness to it, a glow to it. I felt... I felt warm."

    -- Joseph Daniel Votto 7/10/2017

  17. #15
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    48,693

    Re: Looking for a new webhost for Wordpress, suggestions?

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    $300 a month sure seems high.

    really? $300?
    I agree, which is why I'm really looking at other options. But, Kinsta - which redsfaithful mentioned - for the traffic I do, depending on the month, its' $200-300 a month. WP Engine, which is who bought out my current host, for my traffic, is $290 a month.

    It's good that I've got time to get it figured out, and I'm real hopeful that I can stay at or under $100 a month. When I get back home to Cincinnati later this week (I should be back tomorrow, but that will be spent catching up on sleep, hopefully) I will get a chance to really sit down and look at more options. Right now I've only checked out about 5 places - all recommended.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator