Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new webhost for Wordpress, suggestions?

Re: Looking for a new webhost for Wordpress, suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    $300 a month sure seems high.

really? $300?
    I think Doug and I both would be interested in alternatives, but for good managed Wordpress hosting that seems to be the rate these days if you're doing any kind of traffic.
    “When I use a word,” Trumpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.” “The question is,” said Trumpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that’s all.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Forget the Wordpress part.

Look for hosting that provides php/mysql support and has a good rate for traffic. I'd be happy to help admin the database and wordpress side free of charge.

I'm a web programmer.
    "There was like a softness to it, a glow to it. I felt... I felt warm."

-- Joseph Daniel Votto 7/10/2017

Forget the Wordpress part.

Look for hosting that provides php/mysql support and has a good rate for traffic. I'd be happy to help admin the database and wordpress side free of charge.

I'm a web programmer.
    Yeah, Wordpress is simple in that respect, but from what I understand (could be wrong!) there are things these places do that speed things up. I think Wordpress is also CPU intensive and the way servers are priced seems to penalize for that, in my experience.

Wordpress is also a victim of it's own success so you get attacked constantly - the thing that took my site down yesterday was two IP addresses from Russia hitting the site 10,000 times in 20 minutes. I am doing this for a living, so I have to have someone around to fix that quickly 24/7.

There might be ways to set Doug up to need a less robust server though. Things like using a CDN, Cloudflare, probably other things. Any ideas there TRF?
    “When I use a word,” Trumpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.” “The question is,” said Trumpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that’s all.”

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Yeah, Wordpress is simple in that respect, but from what I understand (could be wrong!) there are things these places do that speed things up. I think Wordpress is also CPU intensive and the way servers are priced seems to penalize for that, in my experience.

Wordpress is also a victim of it's own success so you get attacked constantly - the thing that took my site down yesterday was two IP addresses from Russia hitting the site 10,000 times in 20 minutes. I am doing this for a living, so I have to have someone around to fix that quickly 24/7.

There might be ways to set Doug up to need a less robust server though. Things like using a CDN, Cloudflare, probably other things. Any ideas there TRF?
    Yeah, that's kind of my thing, too. I make a living off of the site - I need someone to be on the other end 24/7 for customer service. Even though my current host isn't exactly "on the call", they don't go on vacations/get sick/have life get in the way.

I'm certainly open to ideas, though. Something interesting opened up to me today that could require an even bigger step up on the server side of things.

6. Likes:

Redsfaithful (07-04-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I'm certainly open to ideas, though. Something interesting opened up to me today that could require an even bigger step up on the server side of things.
    I love a quick tease....
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I love a quick tease....
    Sorry.... I can't really talk about it right now. But it's not exactly related to the website that I run that everyone knows I run.

Cloudflare is a cheap solution. I'd certainly recommend that regardless of switching hosting plans.

Wordpress used to be great as a blogging tool until it became more of a CMS and as such a resource hog. But at least it's not drupal. doug, not sure what kind of traffic you are getting but I don't think that's anything to worry about. There are wordpress sites with 100K+ visitors daily, like the New Yorker, BBC America etc. This is probably strictly a hosting matter. Also doesn't seem like a good idea to switch as the ROI on that is likely minimal. Maybe the site loads faster, but probably not too noticeably faster, and you host is still killing you with traffic costs.

If you are paying for specific Wordpress Support, then I'm not sure that is money well spent. I'd get the specs of your hosting plan, and see if there is something specific to WP on it. If there isn't I'd look for a new host with similar specs and a better rate for traffic.

Just my opinion.

Cloudflare is a cheap solution. I'd certainly recommend that regardless of switching hosting plans.

Wordpress used to be great as a blogging tool until it became more of a CMS and as such a resource hog. But at least it's not drupal. doug, not sure what kind of traffic you are getting but I don't think that's anything to worry about. There are wordpress sites with 100K+ visitors daily, like the New Yorker, BBC America etc. This is probably strictly a hosting matter. Also doesn't seem like a good idea to switch as the ROI on that is likely minimal. Maybe the site loads faster, but probably not too noticeably faster, and you host is still killing you with traffic costs.

If you are paying for specific Wordpress Support, then I'm not sure that is money well spent. I'd get the specs of your hosting plan, and see if there is something specific to WP on it. If there isn't I'd look for a new host with similar specs and a better rate for traffic.

Just my opinion.
    I'd rather not drop my numbers publicly, but I'm shooting you a private message about it.

With that said, I'm not sure that I'm in need of something WP specific in terms of support beyond getting wordpress installed onto the server and the site migrated over. In all of my time running the site (I think I've been on the WP platform now for 9 years), the only time I've ever needed support is when the server was down. But, I say that as someone who has always been hosted on WP specific hosts. So there's certainly a chance that I'm getting stuff through the place I've been using for the last few years that I wouldn't be getting and I simply don't know that I am indeed getting it.

As I said, I'm back in Cincinnati now so I'm going to reach out to a few people that I know who are running WP sites that are getting real amounts of traffic and see what they are paying, if they are happy, who they use - all of that stuff.

So, here's an update - I kind of put this off for a while because during the baseball season, I honestly just get so busy at times that I figured I'd have time after the games were over to dive in before December rolled around.

I talked with BlueHost yesterday. I was talking to them about various packages they offer. The person I was talking to suggested their cloud hosting - https://www.bluehost.com/products/cloud-sites

I will probably try to talk to them again about it. There were a few things that I didn't get a chance to expand on. But if anyone's got any other suggestions, comments, whatever, I'm listening.

12. Likes:

TRF (09-12-2018)

Fast forward a month - Going to stay away from Bluehost..... just don't trust them enough for the traffic I get.

Current place I'm feeling solid about is www.liquidweb.com and one of their Cloud VPS options. Going to talk with them on Thursday - maybe tomorrow depending on how long I spend at the dentist (they told me it may be 5 hours.... so, woohoo me!).

This might be something TRF has a better idea of, but I was talking with someone in the baseball website business this week. They told me that they just switched over to Amazon Lightsail. They set up the server themselves and at least last month they paid under $50 for hosting. He said that he was previously paying just over $500 a month to run the same site. For my comfort, I'm certainly "ok" with paying a little more of a premium to have that customer support available at all times in case something happens because I certainly don't know how to fix an issue if it does pop up.... but I'm also starting to think about the kind of stuff I might want to look into if my site(s) keep growing, because much more growth and things could start to get real expensive, and saving hundreds of dollars a month on multiple sites is going to be a real difference maker versus saving hundreds of dollars a year for some comfort.

I've got 6 weeks to figure this out. I'm the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Fast forward a month - Going to stay away from Bluehost..... just don't trust them enough for the traffic I get.

Current place I'm feeling solid about is www.liquidweb.com and one of their Cloud VPS options. Going to talk with them on Thursday - maybe tomorrow depending on how long I spend at the dentist (they told me it may be 5 hours.... so, woohoo me!).

This might be something TRF has a better idea of, but I was talking with someone in the baseball website business this week. They told me that they just switched over to Amazon Lightsail. They set up the server themselves and at least last month they paid under $50 for hosting. He said that he was previously paying just over $500 a month to run the same site. For my comfort, I'm certainly "ok" with paying a little more of a premium to have that customer support available at all times in case something happens because I certainly don't know how to fix an issue if it does pop up.... but I'm also starting to think about the kind of stuff I might want to look into if my site(s) keep growing, because much more growth and things could start to get real expensive, and saving hundreds of dollars a month on multiple sites is going to be a real difference maker versus saving hundreds of dollars a year for some comfort.

I've got 6 weeks to figure this out. I'm the worst.
    AWS programs are extremely cost effective because Amazon has created a huge infrastructure. Virtual hosting is easier for them to manage, and after looking at their pricing models If you have any resource to help troubleshoot actual coding/db issues, you have to think hard about switching to them. I have some experience with Wordpress, a lot with php/mysql, and would be happy to donate(free) my time to assist if a problem arises. Seriously, after all you have contributed here, it's the least I could do.

Stick with the linux host if you switch. Find out if you are responsible for installing MySQL and Wordpress. If so, those are easy installs. I prefer my db not be on my web server, but I'm certain something appropriate can be worked out.

Made the switch over to Siteground today with one of their cloud hosting options. Initial testing of speeds shows this is faster than the previous host, which was pretty fast in itself. Happy with that. Happy with how quickly they got the site transferred over.

Big keys will be how they handle heavy load traffic - though I don't have a way to test that myself, just have to wait for the Reds to do something news worthy.

Looking forward to a few things that they offer though, including hosting multiple domains on one server. I actually own a few domains and have a rather big one coming in that will probably require me to upgrade to the next level of cloud hosting over there once all of that gets finalized. Not being tied to a true "wordpress hosting" solution is nice. While the previous one did give me FTP access and I could host/serve stuff through that, I could only have one wordpress install - so there was not a way to run a "test site" for development, or anything like that - which really sucked when I was tweaking designs and such.

The nameserver switch took less than an hour to start working. Only lost one post and a handful of comments while waiting for that to happen (I had the post backed up, so it took all of ten seconds to get it back up and running once it switched). Hopefully this is the last time I have to switch hosts for a while.

16. Likes:

Redsfaithful (11-05-2018),TRF (11-05-2018)

They call me "chef"

Rather than start a new thread, I'm going to tag on here!

I need a new web host that can support WooCommerce/PayPal integration. I tried skating by with a cheap GoDaddy plan but it appears their security settings block certain communications between PayPal and their servers and GoDaddy will only broach the issue if I pay them for premium support.

I'm looking for a cheap plan, as anything over $10 a month is basically a cue for me to just use Shopify or a similar dedicated e-commerce platform. I'm also NOT looking for a host that ups their package to include premium themes or 'managed' WordPress hosting, etc. I can install and customize WordPress itself just fine on a regular hosting plan.

Thanks in advance for suggestions!
    Last edited by Larry Schuler; 01-07-2019 at 05:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Guys, just stop arguing with him. He will literally never stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    Larry is living the role of the underachiever who's still struggling to get a life so he spends hours upon hours posting worthless bilge on the 'net
    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo!
    I think those are just two separate quotes and not meant to be taken together.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    Rather than start a new thread, I'm going to tag on here!

I need a new web host that can support WooCommerce/PayPal integration. I tried skating by with a cheap GoDaddy plan but it appears their security settings block certain communications between PayPal and their servers and GoDaddy will only broach the issue if I pay them for premium support.

I'm looking for a cheap plan, as anything over $10 a month is basically a cue for me to just use Shopify or a similar dedicated e-commerce platform. I'm also NOT looking for a host that ups their package to include premium themes or 'managed' WordPress hosting, etc. I can install and customize WordPress itself just fine on a regular hosting plan.

Thanks in advance for suggestions!
    I'm looking at Siteground. My site uses Wordpress, Userpro, Woocommerce. Introductory rates can be locked in for three years.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I'm looking at Siteground. My site uses Wordpress, Userpro, Woocommerce. Introductory rates can be locked in for three years.
    I was looking at them earlier. Super cheap! I’m also looking at InMotion.
    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Guys, just stop arguing with him. He will literally never stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    Larry is living the role of the underachiever who's still struggling to get a life so he spends hours upon hours posting worthless bilge on the 'net
    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo!
    I think those are just two separate quotes and not meant to be taken together.

Turn Off Ads?