Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: 2018-19 Euro soccer thread

Re: 2018-19 Euro soccer thread

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Anyone else watching the Sunderland Til I Die docuseries on Netflix?
    Watched it. Great stuff.

They should have kept Chris Coleman.
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

Coddle thy pitchers.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Watched it. Great stuff.

They should have kept Chris Coleman.
    I've told all my friends who want to understand why the pro/rel model is so great to watch this show.

I wasn't 100% sold on Coleman based on the series. He seemed to be a good people leader, but not the best at tactics, but who knows. He's in China now coaching.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

4. Likes:

M2 (01-13-2019)

I've told all my friends who want to understand why the pro/rel model is so great to watch this show.

I wasn't 100% sold on Coleman based on the series. He seemed to be a good people leader, but not the best at tactics, but who knows. He's in China now coaching.
    It's a vastly different relationship with your team.

Coleman did well when he had talent at Fulham and with Wales. Ownership hung him out to dry at Sunderland. Yet I think he could have built a culture for them.

Coddle thy pitchers.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Another angle on the "life at the bottom" was seen today with David Wagner and Huddersfield Town parting ways by mutual consent. I liked him a lot, hopefully he takes a break and comes back at a better club.

I never really thought about it, but it has to be extremely draining to be in charge of a true minnow in the Premier League or some of the other big European leagues, knowing you'll never be able to put together a team that can win anything, all you can do is stave off failure for as long as possible. Yeah, I know, Leicester City, but if miracles happened all the time they wouldn't be miracles, would they?
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Another angle on the "life at the bottom" was seen today with David Wagner and Huddersfield Town parting ways by mutual consent. I liked him a lot, hopefully he takes a break and comes back at a better club.

I never really thought about it, but it has to be extremely draining to be in charge of a true minnow in the Premier League or some of the other big European leagues, knowing you'll never be able to put together a team that can win anything, all you can do is stave off failure for as long as possible. Yeah, I know, Leicester City, but if miracles happened all the time they wouldn't be miracles, would they?
    Huddersfield had spent 45 years in lower tiers, much of it at the 3rd and 4th tiers. It already lived a dream by getting to the EPL and another one by avoiding the drop for a season. Imagine if the Dayton Dragons ascended to MLB. It's like that for Huddersfield. Bummer for Wagner, but he won't be out of a job for long.

Man City was an up-and-down team until the new ownership took over. Chelsea was up-and-down in the 70s and 80s. There is churn at the top, though it's slow. Liverpool and Tottenham have never won the EPL. Leicester and Blackburn have. Over time, factors shift and teams rise. We're in a cycle where mega-wealthy ownership is driving top end success in England. That will change too. Yet it's a sport that's more about the climb than the destination.

Coddle thy pitchers.

8. Likes:

IslandRed (01-15-2019),paintmered (01-15-2019)

Atalanta (From Bergamo) play really nice football and are getting results to put them close to fourth in Serie A (last champions league spot). They just tied Roma 3:3 and previously tied Juve and killed Inter 4:1. Ilic (Slovenia) and Zapata are their strikers and Paul Gomes and pasalic lead a great midfield. Gasperini is their coach and has them playing really well.

10. Likes:

M2 (01-27-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Atalanta (From Bergamo) play really nice football and are getting results to put them close to fourth in Serie A (last champions league spot). They just tied Roma 3:3 and previously tied Juve and killed Inter 4:1. Ilic (Slovenia) and Zapata are their strikers and Paul Gomes and pasalic lead a great midfield. Gasperini is their coach and has them playing really well.
    They've also got to have the most international roster in Serie A. They've scoured the planet for players.

Coddle thy pitchers.

Pulisic going into a disaster.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Pulisic going into a disaster.
    Chelsea does look terrible right now. Next year might be the perfect time to go there. They're surely going to tear this team apart.

Coddle thy pitchers.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Chelsea does look terrible right now. Next year might be the perfect time to go there. They're surely going to tear this team apart.
    Yeah. The complaints about Sarri are valid IMO -- "play the best players where they can do what they do best" apparently isn't something that's occurred to him -- but you don't get dragged like that twice in short order unless something is wrong with the club. It can happen once, especially against a squad like City, e.g. last year's 5-0 debacle for Liverpool. Murphy's Law days happen. But when it happens twice in the space of two weeks, and the other dragging was at Bournemouth? Something's not right.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Yeah. The complaints about Sarri are valid IMO -- "play the best players where they can do what they do best" apparently isn't something that's occurred to him -- but you don't get dragged like that twice in short order unless something is wrong with the club. It can happen once, especially against a squad like City, e.g. last year's 5-0 debacle for Liverpool. Murphy's Law days happen. But when it happens twice in the space of two weeks, and the other dragging was at Bournemouth? Something's not right.
    4-2-3-1 probably fits his personnel better, or maybe a 3-5-2, though 4-3-3 worked fine when they were trying earlier this season. I don't think formation really matters when a team gets waxed like that. Barkley simply isn't good enough to play against top level opponents.

Coddle thy pitchers.

Depends on whether the new Manager rates you high enough.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

17. Likes:

M2 (02-11-2019)

I just finished watching it. Looks like Ellis Short should have gotten out the year before rather than just saying he wasn't going to invest any more money in the club and let them flounder about in the Championship. Great show overall, but I wish they would have given us an idea on more of what happened to everyone after relegation to League One. I'm not so much concerned about the Manager and the players, as I presume they will find jobs elsewhere. But I was wondering what happened to some of the support staff they featured. They mentioned restructuring in the last episode when Stewart Donald took over, and a lot of the staff seemed genuinely concerned about who would get the sack. Those are the people I felt bad for.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

19. Likes:

IslandRed (02-13-2019),M2 (02-12-2019)

For leading the Bundesliga, Dortmund sure looked very pedestrian today. They never looked like a real threat to score on Tottenham.

21. Likes:

schmidty622 (02-15-2019)

For leading the Bundesliga, Dortmund sure looked very pedestrian today. They never looked like a real threat to score on Tottenham.
    they looked not good for 3-4 games in the bundesliga either.. they only got a draw against nürnberg, one of the worst teams in the bundesliga... and they got multiple players with injuries (tottenham did aswell).

I thought that they didn't play bad in the first half, I expected worse (in the first half)
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

23. Likes:

schmidty622 (02-22-2019)

Turn Off Ads?