Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Reds 10 games out behind Braves for 2nd Wildcard with still 70 to play

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: Reds 10 games out behind Braves for 2nd Wildcard with still 70 to play

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    They were bad too. But that’s not really the point. No one saw this coming. Literally.
    Actually many of us knew that the hitting would eventually come around, as there were too many decent hitters to flounder that badly all season.

The Reds had an above average lineup last year too, and it changed very little this year.

But at the end of the day, they are still on pace for about 71 wins. This is a flawed team. They need a serious upgrade in the starting pitching to be a contender. The problem doesn't get solved by adding a few 4-5 starters. The time to add an ace my come to push them over the top, but IMO, that time is not today.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Guys, I was just saying if those 3 games were won, I think more of you would be having big dreams. I get we pulled some games out the other way too...last night for example #1.

I am in the camp of trading Harvey and Scooter if the deals are right....Iglesisias would have to be a sweet deal...

But again..
    .nice to not being the joke of mlb lately.

4. Likes:

Old school 1983 (07-11-2018),PuffyPig (07-11-2018),Revering4Blue (07-11-2018)

Worth The Wait

The Reds need to trade Gennett before he stops being 2000 season Bret Boone. His season is the freak event the team needs to cash in on.
    Disagree... you trade Scooter PRAYING that someday one of the guys you get in exchange for Scooter will play up to about 75% of how Scooter is playing now. Even a cooled-down version of Scooter is a piece worth keeping. It's the entire point of acquiring players.

2019 is a year the Reds should be targeting to compete. It's time. Of course, I'd deal Scooter if some ridiculous offer presented itself with either a ML ready-now starting pitcher or an off-the-charts prospect also ready for the majors. Anything less than that, I'm not interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    Disagree... you trade Scooter PRAYING that someday one of the guys you get in exchange for Scooter will play up to about 75% of how Scooter is playing now. Even a cooled-down version of Scooter is a piece worth keeping. It's the entire point of acquiring players.
    Over the next 7 years, who do you think is more productive offensively and defensively, Scooter or Senzel?

And that doesn’t even factor in money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

7. Likes:

Donder (07-11-2018),OGB (07-11-2018)

Who would've thought we'd have this thread when the Reds were 3-18?

While I highly doubt they'll be able to climb into the WC or pennant chase this year, I'm all for improving the team so they come out of the gates in April 19 with a mission. How they do that is of course what we spend millions of gigabytes and data arguing over- I'm just happy the Reds are no longer in the same conversation as the Orioles this year.
    Where we gonna go?

9. Likes:

Old school 1983 (07-11-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by bleedsred View Post
    Honestly, imagine if the Reds beat the White Sox and held onto those 2 vs the Cubs....one thing is for sure, this team is fun to watch now.
    Imagine if we had won every game.

Teams lose games we thing they should win, and vice versa.

Games are 9 innings long. There is no law that says if you lead after 8 you should win everyone of those games. And if there was, we should presumably lose every game we trail after 8.

The Reds have had way more unexpected comeback wins lately than unexpected blown loses.

It's not like the Reds really deserve to have more wins per se, other than our pythag suggests we should have 3 more wins I believe.

If we finish the season playing .500 ball from here on out, and finishing with about 75 or so wins, that's a major accomplishment. It wasn't that long ago that many were suggesting this was the worse team in the history of baseball.

11. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-11-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Homer's Ghost View Post
    Over the next 7 years, who do you think is more productive offensively and defensively, Scooter or Senzel?

And that doesn’t even factor in money.
    You need to factor in more than those players. The way I see it, there's also Shed Long, Dilson Herrera and Jonathon India. We have a ton of 2B. That's the sort of position you deal from.

To get back to your question above, I'd say Senzel IF his vertigo doesn't keep cropping up. If we find other teams agree that Senzel is the more productive choice then I would hope they'd also be willing to give us more in trade. With that in mind, I take the better return I'm going to get in Senzel, play Scooter and then use Dilson and India down the road

The Reds need to trade Gennett before he stops being 2000 season Bret Boone. His season is the freak event the team needs to cash in on.
    I guess last year was a freak event too.

But lets assume that the year and a half is a freak event. You don't think other GM's might consider the same thing?

I have no doubt that the Reds would trade Gennett for the right price. But there is no requirement that they accept the highest bid regardless of the offer. If they don't like the offers, because other GM's also think it's a freak event, keep him and hope he keeps producing. Perhaps after 2.5 years of production, he can be moved at the next deadline with a better pedigree of sustained hitting.

14. Likes:

Old school 1983 (07-11-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Who would've thought we'd have this thread when the Reds were 3-18?

While I highly doubt they'll be able to climb into the WC or pennant chase this year, I'm all for improving the team so they come out of the gates in April 19 with a mission. How they do that is of course what we spend millions of gigabytes and data arguing over- I'm just happy the Reds are no longer in the same conversation as the Orioles this year.
    Recently, I've heard other teams announcers talk about how good this team really is and how you cannot take their 3-18 start and think they aren't scary. Sure I wish they were in an actual pennant race but that is the beginning stages of being good. As you said I'm happy we aren't the Orioles or still the Reds of the last almost 4 years.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

a window seller in Cleveland bought a policy on the Indians winning a few+ in a row. No one on this board or the Cleveland fan board would have bet on the winning streak that followed. and probably fan graph gave the possibility a .001%

Quote Originally Posted by Senzling Hot View Post
    1999 was a great year. I still hate Al Leiter. The great Denny Neagle just not having it that day and breaking Reds hearts. Pet Harnish in the rain against the Brewers. What a great and disappointing season. 96 wins and no playoffs, goes to show how crazy baseball is, so maybe the baseball gods owe us one. This team does have a slight feel of that team, and they are fun to watch.
    Leiter was great, but the Reds had to go with the guy who was arguably their 5th starter, Steve Parris, to begin that game.
    Neagle gave up a home run in relief, but came in in the 3rd with the Reds down by 3.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Actually many of us knew that the hitting would eventually come around, as there were too many decent hitters to flounder that badly all season.

The Reds had an above average lineup last year too, and it changed very little this year.

But at the end of the day, they are still on pace for about 71 wins. This is a flawed team. They need a serious upgrade in the starting pitching to be a contender. The problem doesn't get solved by adding a few 4-5 starters. The time to add an ace my come to push them over the top, but IMO, that time is not today.
    Really, people saw Gennett would become elite? People saw that Schebler would become prime-season Jay Bruce offensively? People saw Winker as an .800 OPS hitter? Peraza a .700 hitter?

Maybe individually, but start hitting all at once? If anything the safe bet is a pretty big second half offensive regression from everyone not named Votto.

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post

2019 is a year the Reds should be targeting to compete. It's time. Of course, I'd deal Scooter if some ridiculous offer presented itself with either a ML ready-now starting pitcher or an off-the-charts prospect also ready for the majors. Anything less than that, I'm not interested.
    If the Reds don’t cash in Gennett with Senzel waiting, they deserve all their struggles.

20. Likes:

reds44 (07-11-2018),Tom Servo (07-11-2018)

Really, people saw Gennett would become elite? People saw that Schebler would become prime-season Jay Bruce offensively? People saw Winker as an .800 OPS hitter? Peraza a .700 hitter?

Maybe individually, but start hitting all at once? If anything the safe bet is a pretty big second half offensive regression from everyone not named Votto.
    Idk I’ve spent the better part of 3 years hearing “I told you so” by people who somehow knew all the young pitchers would die or be bad, when it reality they’re just insanely negative and didn’t “know” anything.

So I’ll go ahead and claim I knew the offense would be awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

If the Reds don’t cash in Gennett with Senzel waiting, they deserve all their struggles.
    Now this I agree with lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

22. Likes:

Tom Servo (07-11-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Homer's Ghost View Post
    Idk I’ve spent the better part of 3 years hearing “I told you so” by people who somehow knew all the young pitchers would die or be bad, when it reality they’re just insanely negative and didn’t “know” anything.

So I’ll go ahead and claim I knew the offense would be awesome.
    l
    Lol ok. Any other black swans you can hip me to?

And who other than Mahle hasn’t been complete trash? *Monocle thinking emoji*

Turn Off Ads?