Turn Off Ads?
Page 26 of 55 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Football - 2018 (Pre-Season and Urban Meyer controversy)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Ohio State Football - 2018

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    I honestly don't have a strong opinion on the matter. I'm not going to join a "Fire him!" protest nor will I join a "Save Urban!" pep rally based on the limited things we know so far.

But I do believe you aren't arguing in good faith in this thread. I do believe you're taking delight in getting under people's skin.

I've seen your body of work in other areas of this website and you and I both know that 99% of the time in those other areas you play the part of "Hey now you can't trust everything you read and we don't know all the facts yet, yada yada", yet here you are in this thread proclaiming guilt based off the work of an unemployed writer who posted a piece to Facebook, also somehow trying to paint yourself as a women's rights advocate.

It really is comical.
    To note, the only reason he's unemployed is because he's not allowed to write about sports anywhere else as a part of his severance package when he was let go from ESPN when they let go of like 100 people in cost cutting measures. He'd have a job somewhere if that weren't the case.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...&id=1498798014

I don't know the accuracy of this post and don't really know what to believe. I have no idea who Jeff Snook is, but according to Wiki he has written several books.

I felt it was only a matter of time until someone start digging into the family lives of the Smiths. Heck I have no idea if this is sensationalized fiction or sensationalized fact. I would imagine some of these claims are pretty easy to verify, but have no idea. Take it for what its worth, another Facebook post.
    I mean he’s written several books and a lot of those facts should be fairly easy to verify.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    To note, the only reason he's unemployed is because he's not allowed to write about sports anywhere else as a part of his severance package when he was let go from ESPN when they let go of like 100 people in cost cutting measures. He'd have a job somewhere if that weren't the case.
    He’s also still being paid by ESPN, so he can write whatever he wants without having to use editors or journalistic protocols which he apparently is taking full advantage of, while still being paid. That paycheck is about to run out though so time to drop a big story, no matter how true it is.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    He’s also still being paid by ESPN, so he can write whatever he wants without having to use editors or journalistic protocols which he apparently is taking full advantage of, while still being paid. That paycheck is about to run out though so time to drop a big story, no matter how true it is.
    I don't know the guy, but that's one heck of a way to look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...&id=1498798014

I don't know the accuracy of this post and don't really know what to believe. I have no idea who Jeff Snook is, but according to Wiki he has written several books.

I felt it was only a matter of time until someone start digging into the family lives of the Smiths. Heck I have no idea if this is sensationalized fiction or sensationalized fact. I would imagine some of these claims are pretty easy to verify, but have no idea. Take it for what its worth, another Facebook post.
    Very interesting. Thanks for posting. As I've said on many occasions, if she's lying here then she should be prosecuted. I'm afraid what we're looking at here is her side, his side and the truth. Let's be straight here and acknowledge that this author is an ardent Buckeye through and through, writing a book such as What It Means to be a Buckeye. He has a vested interest in clearing up OSU's image.

Issues I still have:

1) Her injuries. Don't tell me those injuries came by accident. He either caused them or they were self inflicted. I'm not buying that they came from him pushing her out of the way

2) Why did Zach Smith apologize for strangling her in texts she provided to McMurphy?

3) Why did OSU fire him if they knew she was nuts and he was innocent?

4) He was arrested in 2009 for assault on a pregnant woman. Did he really never assault her again after that? These sorts of things are generally a pattern and is repeated

Once again thanks for the contribution to this thread, Bucksfan. Every bit of reporting is part of the picture. I still find it hard to believe that this was all set up by the ex-wife but I can't rule it out either. A huge if but if this is all a set up by her then this will put women victims of abuse back yrs if not decades.

There's a lot of things online about Courtney Smith and everyone can do what they want, but it all seems better ignored. If it's not true, then dang, horrible right? And if it's true, ok, also horrible for multiple reasons.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I don't know the guy, but that's one heck of a way to look at it.
    Let’s see how it shakes out.

I believe you are a writer. Are you good with how he’s reported this story?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Courtney Smith’s mother just called her a liar. So, that’s weird.
    Very weird, but also seemed to me the only thing that would explain the events that have transpired.

-Police were supposedly called numerous times, and she has pictures of injuries that would seem to make it an open and shut case, and yet Zach Smith was never arrested. This would seem to raise a lot of questions that I hope the investigation uncovers. The only thing that I could imagine to explain this is that what she has been saying is not what the police saw when they got to her house. She told them the same story that she's told in public, and yet they never even really investigated? That's weird.
    -She said that she told her parents that all this was going on, but they didn't help her out. If there was genuine abuse going on, what kind of parent wouldn't immediately come to help their daughter? Again, the only way I could understand this is if she has not been completely forthright.
    -Zach Smith was the most expendable coach on the staff. Why would Urban risk everything for him?
    -Courtney Smith claims that every coach and spouse knew that Zach Smith was physically and emotionally abusive but ignored it. It's certainly possible that this was the case, but I would like to believe that the people associated with the team/university would have more moral backbone than this. This could very well be naivete on my part.

Essentially, in order for the story to be as bad as Courtney Smith claims, there would have had to be repeated, consistent, fundamental breakdowns from the police department, the athletic department, the football staff and families, Zach Smith's family, and Courtney Smith's family. If that is the case, and it could be, then everybody associated needs to be gone. However, I think that there was an overreaction at first where it seemed like the majority of people unequivocally believed everything from Courtney Smith without weighing any evidence. What she claimed should certainly have been taken seriously, but people also should have been willing to suspend condemnation, which is almost impossible with Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    No way! Gregg Doyle and Mike Bianchi think Urban should be fired...I’m shocked.

Honestly I could give a crap what column writers have to say about this. Let the investigation play out, release what they find and it’ll be pretty obvious. If Urban reported what he knew in a timely fashion, he’s not going to be fired and might not even be suspended. Can’t wait for the columnist to race each other to find the highest horse next week.
    Where you been brother? The investigation was concluded on July 24th, and the verdict is already in. We're just waiting for the sentencing!

But you're right, and we'll know in a couple weeks.

SeaRay seems to be under the impression that those Buckeye fans involved in this discussion are "circling the wagons" in staunch defense of their coach and proclaiming his innocence. And that's not it at all. At least it isn't from my perspective, and I stated that. I'll let any other Buckeye fan speak for himself (LOL).

It's the way Meyer has been cast and treated by those in the media when we're not even close to having all the facts. Some keep mentioning the facts in this situation. And yes, there are some facts that are undeniable because you have something tangible, physical .. police reports, texts, photos. It's a fact that McMurphy interviewed Courtney and posted what she has said/claimed. I believe she is a victim of domestic abuse. But we can't claim that everything she says, that McMurphy reported, is absolutely factual.

Here's another fact .... only one side of the story has been heard and reported. All sides have to be heard, it all has to be investigated and verified, and then, and only then will we know the FULL STORY.

McMurphy cast a spotlight on a situation that needed to be brought out. When I step back and look at this whole thing, and what had been going on in this marriage? The problem doesn't begin nor end with Urban Meyer (LOL). Just my opinion ... McMurphy himself acknowledged that he basically stumbled onto the Urban Meyer angle while investigating Zach and domestic abuse allegations. I think when he saw what he thought he might have, a real bombshell of a story involving one of the biggest coaches in college football, he rushed it out and didn't really take the time needed to verify all the facts and make sure he "crossed every t and dotted every i". Why didn't he reach out and make the effort to talk to any of the other parties involved. Again, he acknowledged he made no effort.

Again, he shed the needed light on a situation that deserved to be exposed. Just, IMO, a lot of shoddy investigative journalism involved IMO.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Issues I still have:

1) Her injuries. Don't tell me those injuries came by accident. He either caused them or they were self inflicted. I'm not buying that they came from him pushing her out of the way

2) Why did Zach Smith apologize for strangling her in texts she provided to McMurphy?

4) He was arrested in 2009 for assault on a pregnant woman. Did he really never assault her again after that? These sorts of things are generally a pattern and is repeated
    I only have issues with #3 and #4, and the assumptions you included! (LOL)
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Very interesting. Thanks for posting. As I've said on many occasions, if she's lying here then she should be prosecuted. I'm afraid what we're looking at here is her side, his side and the truth. Let's be straight here and acknowledge that this author is an ardent Buckeye through and through, writing a book such as What It Means to be a Buckeye. He has a vested interest in clearing up OSU's image.

Issues I still have:

Once again thanks for the contribution to this thread, Bucksfan. Every bit of reporting is part of the picture. I still find it hard to believe that this was all set up by the ex-wife but I can't rule it out either. A huge if but if this is all a set up by her then this will put women victims of abuse back yrs if not decades.
    I would wager that both Courtney and Zach Smith are telling the truth to some degree. I would wager that both are downplaying their own roles and exaggerating the others' to some degree. I doubt it is cut and dry.

As far as why was he fired now, he violated the protection order this time. In 2015 he was not charged with anything. The Powell police have been less than forthcoming about the situation, so my guess is that the OSU report will state that the school tried to investigate but was not given sufficient cooperation to make a determination to terminate Zach Smith in 2015. Not to mention, right or wrong, that there's a difference between how organizations react to this issue pre and post-Harvey Weinstein.

Issues I still have:

I prob. wouldn't even consider self-inflicted, except I have a coworker whose spouse stabbed himself in the stomach and claimed she did it to cover up his own abuse, so when it gets whacky in domestic stuff, it gets whacky and you just never know.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    I would wager that both Courtney and Zach Smith are telling the truth to some degree. I would wager that both are downplaying their own roles and exaggerating the others' to some degree. I doubt it is cut and dry.

As far as why was he fired now, he violated the protection order this time. In 2015 he was not charged with anything. The Powell police have been less than forthcoming about the situation, so my guess is that the OSU report will state that the school tried to investigate but was not given sufficient cooperation to make a determination to terminate Zach Smith in 2015. Not to mention, right or wrong, that there's a difference between how organizations react to this issue pre and post-Harvey Weinstein.
    He claims that he didn't violate any protection orders. He's pleading innocence. I don't know.

I agree with you that they're both telling the truth to a degree. I think she's embellished some stuff and I also think he's been overly physical with her but we've got another week of stuff to leak out. What fun

Looks like McMurphy is on his way to the Geraldo Rivera Hall of Fame.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

The curious side of me wonders what role Earle Bruce played in this.

Turn Off Ads?