Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Football - 2018 (Pre-Season and Urban Meyer controversy)

Re: Ohio State Football - 2018

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Courtney Smith didn't work for the University, so I don't think there is any Title IX issues here. I've seen that floated around on Twitter, but I don't think that's how it works.
    If that's true, then I don't see how Urban loses his job, and I'd go so far as to say he shouldn't.

If someone pro-firing him would fill me in on what his responsibility was, I'm listening and open minded. I don't think it's your husband's bosses job to fix a domestic violence situation. Zach Smith should be in prison, and many people failed this woman, but I'm not seeing it when it comes to Meyer.

I could be wrong - I'm still trying to figure it all out.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't think his biggest issue anymore is that he didn't do more in 2015. I think his biggest issue now is the apparent blatant lies he told at the Big Ten media day. It's always the cover up.

4. Likes:

Sea Ray (08-01-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I don't think his biggest issue anymore is that he didn't do more in 2015. I think his biggest issue now is the apparent blatant lies he told at the Big Ten media day. It's always the cover up.
    But again, he can say he was answering questions about the report that discussed an arrest, which he may have not known about given the actions of the Powell PD.

Now personally I don't think that is really good enough and he obviously just didn't want to talk about what he knew, but technically he can say he wasn't lying about not knowing about the police action against Zach Smith in 2015 because he probably didn't know that.

But again, he can say he was answering questions about the report that discussed an arrest, which he may have not known about given the actions of the Powell PD.
    I'm sure he'll try to thread that needle. No one is going to actually buy it, though. I'm sure some (maybe even OSU admins) will do their best to try and believe it.

I'm sure he'll try to thread that needle. No one is going to actually buy it, though. I'm sure some (maybe even OSU admins) will do their best to try and believe it.
    Yeah I mean I think he should have said more last week. I watched his press conference today from Media Days and he says a couple times that he doesn't want to get into details and it is a personal thing and stuff like that. So it doesn't take too much of a leap that he wasn't letting on all that he knew. Being as forceful as he was about "not knowing anything" is a mistake and is obviously coming back to bite him.

I'm a little surprised they haven't issued some type of statement yet today.

Yeah I mean I think he should have said more last week. I watched his press conference today from Media Days and he says a couple times that he doesn't want to get into details and it is a personal thing and stuff like that. So it doesn't take too much of a leap that he wasn't letting on all that he knew. Being as forceful as he was about "not knowing anything" is a mistake and is obviously coming back to bite him.

I'm a little surprised they haven't issued some type of statement yet today.
    Just what I think is going to happen, as more allegations from the Powell PD arise.

Urban and OSU will have a press conference discussing the events that happened. I also think Urban will continue to toe the line of him not knowing about an "arrest" that happened in 2015.

Urban will acknowledge that he knew Smith's relationship was volatile, and in hindsight should have done more about it.

OSU will enact new language in every contract about the proper reporting guides for domestic abuses allegations in the future across all sport platforms.

OSU will create a department to work with victims of domestic abuse.

Here is the thing, there is no direct link, no evidence trail, that shows Urban knew what happened. What we have is Courtney Smith saying that she told Shelley and that she "thinks" Urban knew. Did Shelley know about what happened in 2015 and when? Did Shelley bury that info and not tell Urban?

I think Courtney Smith was failed by a lot of people. Right now Urban is taking the brunt of the heat.

9. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (08-01-2018)

So, Kevin Wilson or Greg Schiano?

Iím actually amazed both coaches in Spartyland still have jobs, to be honest. Itís sad that Urban had what he did with the Ohio State job and would let it all go for an assistant that he could have easily distanced himself from.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    So, Kevin Wilson or Greg Schiano?

I’m actually amazed both coaches in Spartyland still have jobs, to be honest. It’s sad that Urban had what he did with the Ohio State job and would let it all go for an assistant that he could have easily distanced himself from.
    Can't hire Kevin Wilson. Not with the stench of the drinking/player abuse stuff he had while at Indiana.
    DLC11@Insightbb.com

12. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-02-2018)

And Greg Schiano has Paterno issues.

14. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-02-2018)

Ohio State Football - 2018

Meyer has been placed on paid administrative leave while the university investigates. Ryan Day is the interim coach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How often does administrative leave not lead to eventual dismissal?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    How often does administrative leave not lead to eventual dismissal?

Not often, but how often is the guy on administrative leave the head football coach of a Big Ten school with a 73-8 (47-3) record?

Not often, but how often is the guy on administrative leave the head football coach of a Big Ten school with a 73-8 (47-3) record?
    Rick Pitino has a similar status, although his transgressions were much more severe.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Without knowing the facts/situation ... it seems to me that this escalated too quickly for him not to resign or be fired.

20. Likes:

Sea Ray (08-01-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    Without knowing the facts/situation ... it seems to me that this escalated too quickly for him not to resign or be fired.
    I think the paid leave is to basically appease the masses. Once itís out of the news in a couple weeks, heíll be cleared.

Or not. I have no idea at this point. They fired Tressel for a lot less.

Turn Off Ads?