Turn Off Ads?
Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 232930313233

Thread: Trade Scooter

Re: Trade Scooter

The Reds have in the past, traded for SP. Take on salary that way seems palatable to them for some reason.

Personally, I guess, if I am really honest, I don't care how they acquire that #1 SP. Just that they do.

Go back to when the Reds scooped up Scooter. I was one of the first that said he was going to blossom. I compared him to Jed Gyorko. I think he's actually exceeded him. I thought he was poised to break out.

Extending Scooter will cost the Reds more than the Angels paid Zack Cozart. That should give everyone here pause. Because That's money that should be absolutely be allocated towards pitching.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Likes:

Chip R (09-14-2018)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post

Allocating money to a resource heavy area, where said resources are of lesser expense is foolish.
    This is incorrect. Businesses don’t merely look for the “lesser expense,” That usually leads to the cheapest product, but not the best product.

They look for quality and value and consider cost, trade return (in sports), potential other uses of seemingly duplicative valuable assets.

It’s more than just dumping the more expensive player.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-14-2018 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    This is incorrect. Businesses don’t merely look for the “lesser expense,” That usually leads to the cheapest product, but not the best product.

They look for quality and value and consider cost, trade return (in sports), potential other uses of seemingly duplicative valuable assets.

It’s more than just dumping the more expensive “resources.”
    I'm pretty sure the Reds understand the value and upside of Nick Senzel, Dilson Herrera and Jonathan India.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    You COULD do that. You could also watch your payroll rocket out of control, giving you no payflex to fill needs.

The Reds have 4 guys that could man 2B, either ready or on the way.

How how many legit SP's do the Reds have? Because I count 1, Castillo. Maybe Mahle develops. Maybe he doesn't. Maybe Disco's elbow survives another year, but he's been up and down this year, after missing last year. He's no lock to even be on the OD roster. Homer... well I'm done defending the idea of him. The Reds won't release him, so there is that. Gutierrez probably not ready. Santillan, same. Stephenson probably needs to go to the new (hopefully) manager and tell him he's ready for a big year in the bullpen. Reed? Romano? Mella? all more of the same. #5 starters.

If the Reds are going to get a #1-2 type, they need to take on salary, not just offset it. For whatever reason you want to name, Scooter doesn't give off the Jose Altuve vibe to other team's GM. Get what you can for him, and roll with Dilson or Senzel in 2019.

Scooter Gennett is not the difference maker for the Cincinnati Reds. Maybe he is for the Angels, Dodgers, Mets or even the National. Maybe.

The Reds difference maker is a #1 and a #2 to complement Castillo. Then you have something.
    Again, after you trade what you have to trade to get said #1 or #2 starter, and then dump Scooter for whatever you can get, you won't have the position players to take advantage of the pitching.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    If the Reds end up spending 50+ million dollars on extending Scooter Gennett, they deserve every losing season this dumb franchise will continue to string together going forward.
    If they'd exercise the same "aggressiveness" (and commitment) towards signing some quality starting pitching as they do towards position players they'd greatly improve their fortunes, because I think they're pretty sound offensively.

So this front office is going to do whatever they can to hold this "offense" together - which may include signing Scooter - but meanwhile their starting pitching is possibly two years behind (if that).

That's a helluva window! LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    If Senzel shows promise in the OF in the fall instructional league, I would think Scooter is getting that multi-year deal. Evidently he is worth more to the Reds than any other team.
    They play 2 weeks of games against 21 year olds. Not enough to grade anyone attempting to change a position.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    They play 2 weeks of games against 21 year olds. Not enough to grade anyone attempting to change a position.
    That holds if you are a pitcher. Defense is still defense no matter who hits the ball.

How he performs in the eyes of the coaching staff absolutely matters.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

10. Likes:

Chip R (09-17-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    That holds if you are a pitcher. Defense is still defense no matter who hits the ball.

How he performs in the eyes of the coaching staff absolutely matters.
    He'll probably see 50-60 balls hit to him, it's no where near enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    He'll probably see 50-60 balls hit to him, it's no where near enough.
    I assume he's going to get at least that many hit to him in practices every day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?