Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade Scooter

Trade Scooter

Old one surpassed 1000 posts, new thread and new title 😈
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Likes:

corkedbat (07-20-2018),kaldaniels (07-19-2018)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Trade Scooter

Can we give Don’t Trade Scooter a sticky?

He still bangs

Can someone run a RZ poll on who wants to trade/sign scooter? I’m a little curious what the consensus is.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioRiverBarge View Post
    Can someone run a RZ poll on who wants to trade/sign scooter? I’m a little curious what the consensus is.
    Got to include the nature of the return. Not sure it can be answered without some idea of the return.

7. Likes:

Benihana (07-19-2018),mth123 (07-19-2018),OGB (07-19-2018)

He still bangs

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Got to include the nature of the return. Not sure it can be answered without some idea of the return.
    Maybe it should be (a) trade for top 100 prospect or sign, (b) trade for team’s top 10 or sign, (c) trade for best offer, or (d) sign

The problem with all of this is we have no clue what the market is really. It’s mostly just hearsay. At the end of the day you’ve just got to trust the Reds front office. I don’t care if they keep Scooter. All I really care about is improving the rotation.

10. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-20-2018),kaldaniels (07-19-2018),Mitri (07-19-2018),mth123 (07-19-2018),OGB (07-19-2018),Old school 1983 (07-19-2018),paintmered (07-19-2018),Tom Servo (07-19-2018),WrongVerb (07-20-2018)

Context is everything.

It’s not trade or bust.

Using rankings wouldn’t comprehensively encompass all context.
    "Do we need to have 280 brands of breakfast cereal? No, probably not. But we have them for a reason - because some people like them. It's the same with baseball statistics." ~ Bill James

Maybe it should be (a) trade for top 100 prospect or sign, (b) trade for team’s top 10 or sign, (c) trade for best offer, or (d) sign
    Sounds good. Start the poll. I'd add, trade for a ready now Starting Pitcher or CF prospect projected to be an above average player. I'm not interested in some 2nd or 3rd baseman who might sneak into the top 100 in a Gennett deal. It needs to improve the Reds IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Don’t trade.

Trade only for very high level near-mlb ready return.

Trade for solid prospects.

Trade for best offer.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Sounds good. Start the poll. I'd add, trade for a ready now Starting Pitcher or CF prospect projected to be an above average player. I'm not interested in some 2nd or 3rd baseman who might sneak into the top 100 in a Gennett deal. It needs to improve the Reds IMO.
    As a hypothetical, what if the Reds traded someone like Greene and lesser prospects for a TOR type. They used Gennett to acquire lower level prospects with Top 50/100 upside to restock, and installed Senzel/Herrera as 2B.

Still out on that?

In response to your last post on the previous thread, I’d be interested to see who is part of the “trade Gennett at all costs” side. I’ve only seen those that are more open to trading him, and those more reluctant.
    "Do we need to have 280 brands of breakfast cereal? No, probably not. But we have them for a reason - because some people like them. It's the same with baseball statistics." ~ Bill James

15. Likes:

kaldaniels (07-19-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by CRDB40 View Post
    As a hypothetical, what if the Reds traded someone like Greene and lesser prospects for a TOR type. They used Gennett to acquire lower level prospects with Top 50/100 upside to restock, and installed Senzel/Herrera as 2B.

Still out on that?

In response to your last post on the previous thread, I’d be interested to see who is part of the “trade Gennett at all costs” side. I’ve only seen those that are more open to trading him, and those more reluctant.
    Not going to name names, but there are at least three posters who are clearly trade Scooter guys and never seem to even propose any kind of return.

As for your trade idea, I'd need to see who the TOR arm is and what his years of control and price before knowing if trading Greene as the prerequisite to that would be an idea I'd be in or out on.

Generally, I think the Best combo is keeping Scootter, Schebler and Senzel with whatever they can get for Winker, than keeping the other three and whatever they can get for Scooter. I think they could fix the rotation that way without trading Greene. I just think Senzel is untouchable, Scooter and Schebler can't carry the deal for the arm they need and Winker is probably the guy in the sweet spot. Top 100 prospect having a strong rookie season and replacing him with Senzel and the arm he brings back makes the Reds better offensively, defensively, on the bases and on the mound. Removing Scooter doesn't have the positive impacts on the other areas of the game as much as removing Winker does and frankly, doesn't bring back the arm the Reds need to make any of the other stuff matter.

It's more about who the Reds can trade for than who they are dealing. They've got an extra bat. They need to deal the one where a deal can be structured that most improves the team. IMO, that's Winker.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Not going to name names, but there are at least three posters who are clearly trade Scooter guys and never seem to even propose any kind of return.

As for your trade idea, I'd need to see who the TOR arm is and what his years of control and price before knowing if trading Greene as the prerequisite to that would be an idea I'd be in or out on.

Generally, I think the Best combo is keeping Scootter, Schebler and Senzel with whatever they can get for Winker, than keeping the other three and whatever they can get for Scooter. I think they could fix the rotation that way without trading Greene. I just think Senzel is untouchable, Scooter and Schebler can't carry the deal for the arm they need and Winker is probably the guy in the sweet spot. Top 100 prospect having a strong rookie season and replacing him with Senzel and the arm he brings back makes the Reds better offensively, defensively, on the bases and on the mound. Removing Scooter doesn't have the positive impacts on the other areas of the game as much as removing Winker does and frankly, doesn't bring back the arm the Reds need to make any of the other stuff matter.

It's more about who the Reds can trade for than who they are dealing. They've got an extra bat. They need to deal the one where a deal can be structured that most improves the team. IMO, that's Winker.
    Fair enough.

This is meaningless, but I called into a Cleveland sports radio station today (I had a long drive and was bored - don’t judge me), and I suggested the following:

CLD gets:

Scooter
    Duvall

CIN gets:

McKenzie
    Chang
    Putko

The host, Adam “The Bull” scoffed and said: “No WAY would the reds accept that offer!”

At this point I said I was a reds fan and made the case for Scooter possibly being fool’s gold to a degree.

He replied: “you’re a reds fan and want that trade to happen???”

Anyways, I found it amusing and thought I would share. Interesting perspective from an Indians fan.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

19. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-20-2018),OhioRiverBarge (07-19-2018),Spanky (07-19-2018)

I would trade scooter only for returns like this:

1) Scooter for Shane Bieber straight up, or someone of similar value with some mlb success.

2) at least one top 60 prospect and then a B prospect included.

3) or 3 good prospects in a loaded farm system like Atlanta, Houston, SD etc.

The problem with all of this is we have no clue what the market is really. It’s mostly just hearsay. At the end of the day you’ve just got to trust the Reds front office. I don’t care if they keep Scooter. All I really care about is improving the rotation.

Me too.

I'm pretty sure we know that Brian Dozier, Starling Castro, Asdrubel Cabrera, DJ Lemahieu, Rougned Odor, possibly Jonathon Schoop, Josh Harrison and Jed Lowrie are all available to some extent. Any team dealing a bat first 2B is going to get lowballed. Trying to deal now is like spitting into the wind while running up hill and pushing a boulder. The entire premise of trading Scooter is to sell while his value is high. Well, if they can get something that equates to high value, I'm all for it. IMO, they can't and any of those guys that get moved will be the ones who have no years of control remaining and will be for a return that doesn't really end up helping their current team win big league games. They'll get minor leaguers with a chance to be fringe major leaguers because some one will say yes just to save a couple million bucks in a lost year where the player will walk anyway. Those looking for real talent, which is where the Reds should be, won't get any offers IMO.
    Last edited by mth123; 07-19-2018 at 09:33 PM.

22. Likes:

JCM11 (07-19-2018),malcontent (07-19-2018),WrongVerb (07-20-2018)

Turn Off Ads?