Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blandino Injury

Re: Blandino Injury

It wasn't a dirty play but was the result of the mud. If you rewatch the video on MLB.com, the runner slides and slides early. His lead foot, however, get stuck by the muddy base path. The stuck foot stops but the rest of him was thrown into the barrel roll and lifted him up. He hits Stanford Cardinal Blandino just as Blandino is replanting is foot. As dirty as the Pirates can be about throwing at guys, this was unintentional and the runner was upset for Blandino.

- - - Updated - - -

Dilson and Gennett can back up SS. If needed Irribarren could be called up and not be a big risk if he needed to be dFA' to go off the 40 later. There is always Dixon too.
    Last edited by klw; 07-21-2018 at 07:42 AM.

2. Likes:

OGB (07-21-2018)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Not worried about backup shortstop, they’ll find someone, but just a terrible thing for that injury to happen.

I guess the baserunner can’t be blamed, it wasn’t a dirty take out slide, and he seemed affected by the mud.

But it’s just a shame for that to happen in the last inning of a blowout game that should have been postponed due to weather.

Blandino has been developing well, good young player, just hate to see that happen, very upsetting. Hope it’s not too serious.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-21-2018 at 08:24 AM.

Winning is fun.

I don't think there was any intent but it gets old watching players from Pittsburgh teams injure players from Cincinnati teams.

It sounds like Riggleman thought it was an accident. Clint Hurdle would probably bean the entire Reds lineup if roles were reversed.

6. Likes:

'69 (07-21-2018),jimbo (07-21-2018),OGB (07-21-2018)

Not sure Scooter’s arm would hold up to a stint at shortstop. In the short term they can probably get by with Suárez, Herrera and maybe even Billy as emergency options. My concern is that if they have to add a glove-only option like Pennington, that shortens the bench even more.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Donder View Post
    Any chance Suarez is back-up SS? There may not be many innings needed.
    He has to be.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    He has to be.
    If more innings are needed,and waiting on Trahan news first, there has to be an available vet floating around AAA easily obtainable.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Dilson last played SS IN 2014. 27 games, with 25 starts. 0.972 FLD PCT. I think he can be passable at the spot as a backup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

Bat Flippin’ Awesome Puig Your Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    Good God, in what world is a guy going hard into second base in the 9th inning of a 10 run game not dirty?

Why did he do anything other than jog to second?

- - - Updated - - -

And rolled forward?
    He didn’t go hard into second base. He didn’t even go into second base lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Well, I suppose I'm an insane person, then, but I'm still not sure why you're even sliding full speed in that situation, opposed to just peeling off upright.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by Homer's Ghost View Post
    He didn’t go hard into second base. He didn’t even go into second base lol
    I just rewatched it, they're up 10 runs and that guy went full speed into second, the slide was just sloppiness on his part, but he was still going hard into second, otherwise none of that happens.
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

The obvious solution (I am assuming Blandino is out for an extended time) is just let Peraza man it 100% of time. Recall Dixon. He and Suarez are the backups. While not good for anything other than "complete rest of game", that's all you need. If Peraza goes down you then need to bit the bullet and call up someone like Trahan.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

14. Likes:

Kingspoint (07-21-2018)

I just rewatched it, they're up 10 runs and that guy went full speed into second, the slide was just sloppiness on his part, but he was still going hard into second, otherwise none of that happens.
    Go read any of the articles from last night and everyone is saying he got stuck in the sloppy field which caused him to roll.

It wasn’t remotely dirty
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Riggleman said runner seemed to slide early, to avoid making contact at the bag.

Whatever, very unfortunate play.

17. Likes:

Puig Your Red (07-21-2018)

Just watched the replay. He slid early but terrible conditions he stuck and inertia seemed to take over. I do t think it was dirty at all.

We stayed thru the 5th and listened to Marty and Cowboy until it ended. 6th inning thru that injury he and cowboy were having a good time just accepting the beating and laughing about everything. Marty wasn’t sure of the slide and Brantley said it was dirty...but they are high up and hard to say unless they were going by monitor.

But I was impressed...Marty didn’t growl once about the ridiculous delay and time of game. Ended at 1:34 am.

After rewatching, it wasn't dirty, but I stand by the fact that it was dumb and unnecessary.

It was equivalent to injuring somebody in basketball because you ran down court to contest a breakaway layup when you're up 20 with a minute left in the game.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    Just watched the replay. He slid early but terrible conditions he stuck and inertia seemed to take over. I do t think it was dirty at all.

We stayed thru the 5th and listened to Marty and Cowboy until it ended. 6th inning thru that injury he and cowboy were having a good time just accepting the beating and laughing about everything. Marty wasn’t sure of the slide and Brantley said it was dirty...but they are high up and hard to say unless they were going by monitor.

But I was impressed...Marty didn’t growl once about the ridiculous delay and time of game. Ended at 1:34 am.
    Marty is on vacation this weekend. Jim Day was doing the game.

How much did you drink at the game lol

21. Likes:

Bob Sheed (07-21-2018),Powder River (07-21-2018)

Turn Off Ads?