Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunter Greene sprained UCL- out for rest of season

Re: Hunter Greene sprained UCL- out for rest of season

Maybe he is the next Ohtani (currently on his 2nd UCL sprain).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Who says it’s not? If he’s gonna need TJ, do it now.
    I wouldn’t call it a “break” but from a timeline standpoint, this is as good as it gets. He’s 18, in A ball, and has plenty of time for rehab and regaining form. If anyone can come back from this and be successful, it’s Hunter Greene. His talent is off the charts and by all accounts is an extremely hard working and dedicated guy. Short term yeah, it sucks obviously, but long term it’s not the end of the world by any stretch.

Well, this surely makes watching the Reds lose 90+ games year after year, worthwhile.
    “We’re going to get the pitching.” -Bob Castellini

5. Likes:

REDREAD (08-06-2018)

Time to move him to SS!

“His dad’s handled him very well,” Buckley said. “He limited his innings. He really looked after him. Sometimes, when guys don’t participate in all events somebody holds that against them. We had him right up there to pick him.”

Hunter Greene? Nope. That's Buckley on Nick Travieso.

I don't expect this injury to change anything on how the Reds evaluate and draft pitchers in the early rounds. "Fresh arm" is a part of Buckley's DNA. MLB is full of early round starters that demonstrated durability in college, but Buckley never seems too interested (Travieso picked before Wacha and Marcus Stroman was inexcusable).

Travieso? Dad protected him. Fresh arm.

Lorenzen? College reliever. Fresh arm.

Nick Howard? College reliever. Fresh arm.

Tanner Rainey? College reliever. Fresh arm.

Nick Hanson? Plays short season ball in a cold weather state. Fresh arm.

Hunter Greene? Less than 30 innings his HS senior season. Fresh arm.

Lyon Richardson? Didn't pitch that much until his senior year. Fresh arm.

Jo Gray? College reliever and position player until his junior year. Fresh arm.

Buckley loves athletic pitchers and I can appreciate that, but this isn't working. The highly rated, hard throwing HS guys get hurt and the college relievers were college relievers for a reason.

Tony Santillan (knock on wood) has been the outlier here in terms of development and health. I pray that continues. I just wish this organization took a hard look at Chris Buckley and his role in the abject lack of organizational pitching depth that got us to this point.

8. Likes:

CrackerJack (08-03-2018),malcontent (08-03-2018),REDREAD (08-06-2018),Reds360 (08-04-2018),TheBigLebowski (08-03-2018)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Michael Wacha failed multiple pre-draft physicals. But let's talk more about how not drafting him is inexcusable.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Re: Hunter Greene

Quote Originally Posted by ochoa30 View Post
    Greene will need to learn to tone down the Velo a bit. I honestly dont think its possible for the human arm to throw 100+ and go 6+ innings a start for a whole season. Especially not at his age. Either that or make him a reliever but obviously were not there yet.
    All hindsight, of course, but maybe they should have been instructing him to avoid that all along (considering his age).

I'm not sure anyone here expressed concern about it (not that it would have mattered). I didn't think to. But the Reds?
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by NC Reds View Post

I don't expect this injury to change anything on how the Reds evaluate and draft pitchers in the early rounds. "Fresh arm" is a part of Buckley's DNA. MLB is full of early round starters that demonstrated durability in college, but Buckley never seems too interested (Travieso picked before Wacha and Marcus Stroman was inexcusable).

Buckley loves athletic pitchers and I can appreciate that, but this isn't working. The highly rated, hard throwing HS guys get hurt and the college relievers were college relievers for a reason.

Tony Santillan (knock on wood) has been the outlier here in terms of development and health. I pray that continues. I just wish this organization took a hard look at Chris Buckley and his role in the abject lack of organizational pitching depth that got us to this point.
    You don’t not draft a player as talented as Hunter Greene.
    Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Ghosts, you gotta lay off the weaponized hallucinogens, my man.

12. Likes:

Griffey012 (08-03-2018)

Re: Hunter Greene

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    All hindsight, of course, but maybe they should have been instructing him to avoid that all along (considering his age).

I'm not sure anyone here expressed concern about it (not that it would have mattered). I didn't think to. But the Reds?
    Being a lifelong Reds fan, I hate this occurred but I am not surprised. There were several posters that expressed concern about the gamble of taking a RH HS arm at the 2 spot. And while this can still work out in the end, the probability of him being a ML ace just decreased and his probability of flaming out increased. Even if he rehabs and "successfully" avoids TJ surgery, his likeliness for needing to in the future is greater. Organizationally, Greene is now a Red for a while. That means his trade value will likely never be higher than what it was last off-season unless he makes it to the majors and unfortunately I have held the belief that was his most likely value for this organization. He went from a headliner in a trade to a complementary piece in an instant. I expressed my concerns to the point that I felt strongly like he should have been used to get Yelich last off-season. Some agreed. Others didn't. None of us have a crystal ball. So, at this point we just ride the wave and hope for the best. I hope it works out for the Reds and Greene but for me personally this has been very frustrating from the moment he was drafted.

Congrats to everyone who accurately guessed that *checks notes* a pitcher could get hurt.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

15. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (08-04-2018),Flair4Horsemen (08-04-2018),Mitri (08-04-2018),RedTeamGo! (08-03-2018),Revering4Blue (08-04-2018),Wonderful Monds (08-03-2018)

Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NC Reds View Post

I also find it interesting that Santillan isn't listed on your "fresh arm" list. Did he have a normal workload in his junior and senior years?
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Congrats to everyone who accurately guessed that *checks notes* a pitcher could get hurt.
    As I said on page one: I hate all of you.

Reading this thread is so terrible.

Blaming Buckley, A poster clearly ecstatic he’s injured, posters spiking the ball on high draft picks not mattering, so on and so forth.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 08-03-2018 at 11:03 PM.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

18. Likes:

IndianaRed (08-04-2018)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    As I said on page one: I hate all of you.

Reading this thread is so terrible.

Blaming Buckley, A poster clearly ecstatic he’s injured, posters spiking the ball on high draft picks not mattering, so on and so forth.
    I apologized for my mistake, RTG.

I wasn't counting on him helping the Reds until 2021 or 2022 anyway. This is likely just a blip on the radar. I just wish they'd go ahead and fix it so he can get back out there in High A in 2020. Yes it's a risk, but letting it linger and going multiple seasons with an issue is a bigger career killer than a one and done surgery IMO. Had Disco had his fixed, he'd be the Reds ace by now. As is, I'm hoping they shut him down and give his innings to Stephenson.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

21. Likes:

Benihana (08-04-2018),Revering4Blue (08-04-2018),Tuff Nut (08-04-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Michael Wacha failed multiple pre-draft physicals. But let's talk more about how not drafting him is inexcusable.
    Michael Wacha threw 113 innings his junior year at A&M. Performed at an All-American level. Nick Travieso was high school teammates with the son of our top Latin American scout.

23. Likes:

REDREAD (08-06-2018)

Turn Off Ads?