Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Podcasts

Podcasts

I know there was a thread on this somewhere in the history, but I thought I'd start a new one. I commute an hour each way every day and I need some new podcasts to listen to. Any suggestions of newer podcasts that are worthwhile?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Podcasts

The Last Podcast on the Left - three dudes that get deep into research and present on various topics such as true crime, serial killers, UFOs, cults (my favorite episodes), etc. just great stuff.

We Hate Movies - Podcast that takes an old movie and rips it to shreds. These guys go a little overboard on the PC/SJW stuff at times, so if that bothers you, ignore this one.

Rebel Force Radio - Star Wars Podcast by Star Wars geeks for Star Wars geeks

Pod Save America - political podcast by former Obama staffers. If you are either conservative or far left, ignore this one.

How Did This Get Made? - similar to WHM, but without the political commentary and celebrity guest hosts. Hosts are more famous.

Business Wars - exactly what the title implies. The first series on Blockbuster vs Netflix is excellent.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

I feel weird recommending this to anyone because I feel conflicted about it, but I'm going to anyway because I'd be interested in knowing what you thought of it - S-Town.

Possibly with that kind of commute you've already heard it since it was a big one. It blew me away but I also have many issues with it.
    “When I use a word,” Trumpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.” “The question is,” said Trumpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that’s all.”

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I feel weird recommending this to anyone because I feel conflicted about it, but I'm going to anyway because I'd be interested in knowing what you thought of it - S-Town.

Possibly with that kind of commute you've already heard it since it was a big one. It blew me away but I also have many issues with it.
    I probably should have listed some I've listened to, which is a lot. I loved S-Town. It's pretty high on my list of favorite all time podcasts.

I've listened to all 3 seasons of Revisionist History, although his most recent one was not all that great. I listened to Serial, obviously, and the follow to that one Undisclosed. I've listened to Crime Town, and now am listening to RFK Tapes. some others:

In the Dark
    Caught
    This American Life (some, not all)
    West Cork (on audible only)
    Up and Vanished (but I can't stand the host, so I won't listen to any more of his)
    TED Radio Hour (occasionally)
    Accused
    Dirty John
    Slow Burn

I'm missing a lot I can't think of. There are some I used to listen to, but don't really anymore, like Freakonomics.

I'm generally not going to listen to anything overly political. I used to, but for my own well-being I've stopped listening/watching/reading much in the world of politics these days. Besides, most of what's out there is mostly meant to reinforce what you already think. I'm a left, and I'm not much interested in spending time in the liberal echo chamber.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

6. Likes:

Donder (08-09-2018)

Winning is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post

I thought overall S-Town was pretty interesting, especially while I was listening. But I do have to admit at the end wondering why I spent seven hours listening to a podcast about some random guy in Alabama.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I probably should have listed some I've listened to, which is a lot. I loved S-Town. It's pretty high on my list of favorite all time podcasts.

I've listened to all 3 seasons of Revisionist History, although his most recent one was not all that great. I listened to Serial, obviously, and the follow to that one Undisclosed. I've listened to Crime Town, and now am listening to RFK Tapes. some others:

In the Dark
    Caught
    This American Life (some, not all)
    West Cork (on audible only)
    Up and Vanished (but I can't stand the host, so I won't listen to any more of his)
    TED Radio Hour (occasionally)
    Accused
    Dirty John
    Slow Burn

I'm missing a lot I can't think of. There are some I used to listen to, but don't really anymore, like Freakonomics.

I'm generally not going to listen to anything overly political. I used to, but for my own well-being I've stopped listening/watching/reading much in the world of politics these days. Besides, most of what's out there is mostly meant to reinforce what you already think. I'm a left, and I'm not much interested in spending time in the liberal echo chamber.
    Hardcore History?

Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    I thought overall S-Town was pretty interesting, especially while I was listening. But I do have to admit at the end wondering why I spent seven hours listening to a podcast about some random guy in Alabama.

- - - Updated - - -

Hardcore History?
    The latest is a 4+ hour podcast on the history of Japan. Dan Carlin is amazing enough to make it interesting the entire time.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    The latest is a 4+ hour podcast on the history of Japan. Dan Carlin is amazing enough to make it interesting the entire time.
    My 15 year old son listens to Dan Carlin all the time, and he told me I need to listen to the one about Japan. To me, he wanders all over the place and it's hard to follow. I can only listen to 15-20 minutes at a time.

Winning is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    My 15 year old son listens to Dan Carlin all the time, and he told me I need to listen to the one about Japan. To me, he wanders all over the place and it's hard to follow. I can only listen to 15-20 minutes at a time.
    My commute is about 35-40 minutes, which is just about the right amount of time to break up Carlin's podcasts for me. I did listen to the latest one in two big chunks while on an airplane.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I love Carlin. There’s another interesting one called History on Fire. Italian guy with a heavy accent.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Anyone that is a wrestling fan needs to listen to both of Jim Cornette's podcasts. Lots of stories about being on the road with the Midnight Express.

MWM based on your post we must have similar listening interests. I’ve listened to most of the ones you’ve listed. I have about a 45 minute commute myself. So I can sympathize.

When the Poscast is on it’s A game it’s my favorite. Unfortunately it seems like Michael Schur is getting too busy to do it regularly.
    I’ve really enjoyed This Week in Baseball History. It’s not super polished but it’s very interesting and I’ve learned a lot of baseball history.
    Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me is hilarious and educational. My wife insists that we listen to that one together.
    I’m sure you’re familiar with Stuff You Should Know and 99% Invisible. I’m a fan of both.
    Based on your listing some few true crime podcasts you might enjoy Accused (I enjoyed the 1st season, not so much the 2nd) and Unsolved Murders: True Crime Stories (produced like an old-timey radio drama). I’m with you on Paine Lyndsey being annoying, but I still think I’ll give the 2nd season of Up and Vanished a chance.

Everybody keep the suggestions coming! I’m about 20 away from finishing the 1,000+ episodes of SYSK, so I’ll have a big hole to fill!

Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar

Sean Carroll's Mindscape is new and very interesting.
    Malcolm Gladwell's is pretty interesting as well.
    MLB Pipeline and MLB Morning Lineup are great baseball podcasts.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. -- Mahatma Gandhi

15. Likes:

Donder (08-10-2018)

Lore is great, if a bit too soothing.
    Malcolm Gladwell's podcast has grown on me. A couple of really good episodes lately, particularly 'Free Brian Williams'.
    I Was There Too is sadly going to end its regular run after episode 100 (it's on 91, I think, now). Matt Gourley says he'll still do special theme episodes occasionally.
    Dan Carlin's dropped off of my radar (too long between episodes), but I keep intending to get back into his shows.
    Pete Holmes podcast has had some nice episodes recently, particularly shows with The Avett Brothers and Penn Gillette.
    “Reading is the sole means by which we slip, involuntarily, often helplessly, into another’s skin.” -- Joyce Carol Oates

“We’re all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?” — The Doctor (Matt Smith)

I thought of another recommendation. Heavens Gate was fantastic. It really humanizes the cult members and is a great look into human psychology.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Lore is great, if a bit too soothing.
    Malcolm Gladwell's podcast has grown on me. A couple of really good episodes lately, particularly 'Free Brian Williams'.
    I Was There Too is sadly going to end its regular run after episode 100 (it's on 91, I think, now). Matt Gourley says he'll still do special theme episodes occasionally.
    Dan Carlin's dropped off of my radar (too long between episodes), but I keep intending to get back into his shows.
    Pete Holmes podcast has had some nice episodes recently, particularly shows with The Avett Brothers and Penn Gillette.
    I did listen to the first season of Accused. Didn't know there was a 2nd.

Funny, the "Free Brian Williams" episode was my least favorite of this past season. He made some good arguments, but I'm still skeptical of his conclusions. I loved the one about Sammy Davis, Jr.

I'll have to give the Avett Brothers one a listen. I watched the documentary about them and thought it was great. Their music has always been hit or miss with me, but the documentary made me gain more respect for them as artists.

Turn Off Ads?