Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: 8/8/2018 Redlegs @ Metropolitans

Re: 8/8/2018 Redlegs @ Metropolitans

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    True but the pitchers they started in those games are far superior to anything we have. Goes to show the importance of pitching. Start Sandy Koufax on any of the worst teams in MLB history and you've got a good shot to win that day
    Really? its one thing to get beat by maybe the best pitcher in baseball 3-0. Its quite another thing to get beat 8-0 by a triple A batting order in a pitcher friendly ballpark where you walk 11 guys.
    Last edited by Mutaman; 08-09-2018 at 12:18 AM.

2. Likes:

'69 (08-08-2018)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post

If Reds' pitchers walk 11 batters, is there still free pizza?
    For everyone in NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Really? its one thing to get beat by maybe the best pitcher in baseball 3-0. Its quite another thing to get beat 8-0 by a triple A batting
    in a pitcher friendly ballpark where you walk 11 guys.
    No question they mailed it in today

So the Reds lost 76-41....is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    I know one thing...if this continues and the Reds use a position player to pitch, it wonít be Ervin.

I canít tell you the last ball he threw in and it was caught. Mackey Sasser out there.
    Riggs reads RZ and trolled me. Really no other explanation.

8. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-08-2018)

8/8/2018 Redlegs @ Metropolitans

Whew that was bad

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    I have no idea why that would be a possibility but it was actually 2 sliders and 2 curves not four change ups. Still 4 off speed pitches in a row. Throwing one on 3-0 is mind numbing.
    Ok, I was going by what people said.. But the points remain the same.
    1. Every manager in baseball would have walked the bases loaded. That is "by the book"
    2. RS needs to execute the pitches that were called. If that means curve/slider, the point remains the same. RS has had trouble locating his FB for his entire career. No guarantee that he throws a FB for a strike.. RS failed. Plain and simple.
    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    1. Every manager in baseball would have walked the bases loaded. That is "by the book"
    2. RS needs to execute the pitches that were called. If that means curve/slider, the point remains the same. RS has had trouble locating his FB for his entire career. No guarantee that he throws a FB for a strike.. RS failed. Plain and simple.
    I think the question is do you manage RS differently? Maybe he hasn't earned the privilege to be treated like a major league pitcher who can throw strikes to the opposing pitcher. Reading Riggleman's body language, I'd say he agrees with you. He's thinking "here I did what any manager would do and then he screws it up by walking the pitcher on pitches that aren't even close."

I don't know if any manager would have done that but I gotta give Welsh kudos. He announced right away that he had problems with it

12. Likes:

Red Raindog (08-08-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Nothing is by the book anymore. Everything in this sport is over analyzed and approached on an individual basis. Where Riggleman truly failed was taking away that empty base from Stephenson. If the Reds needed to win that game then yeah, go ahead and load them in hopes of getting the roll over but that wasn't the case. Riggleman managed the situation instead of the pitcher and in my opinion it was a mistake. Let him pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I think the question is do you manage RS differently? Maybe he hasn't earned the privilege to be treated like a major league pitcher who can throw strikes to the opposing pitcher. Reading Riggleman's body language, I'd say he agrees with you. He's thinking "here I did what any manager would do and then he screws it up by walking the pitcher on pitches that aren't even close."

I don't know if any manager would have done that but I gotta give Welsh kudos. He announced right away that he had problems with it

And then if Mez gets a hit, people are wondering why Riggleman lets RS face Mez with a base open, instead of walking Mez to set up the double play.

If you look at this table,
    http://tangotiger.net/re24.html

with men on 2b and 3b, 1 out, the chance of at least one run scoring is 69.8 %
    With bases loaded and 1 out, the chance drops slightly to 67.9 % -- and with the pitcher batting, I am sure it is less. The stats back Riggleman.

Riggleman did the right move. If RS could not avoid walking the pitcher, how do you expect him
    to get out of that inning unscathed? The biggest sin was letting two runners get into scoring position, not Riggleman.. Unless those guys got on by errors (I did not see the game), that is on RS.
    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Giving up an out to try to move Billy Hamilton from 2nd base to 3rd base is one of the dumbest moves I've ever seen..

Turn Off Ads?