Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: IU Football-2018

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: IU Football-2018

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I don't see why IU can't be Mich ST. The Spartans are another basketball first school with recruiting challenges and play in the rugged Big Ten East
    I hadn't thought about that, but I suppose that it is possible given that the state of Indiana now sports (at least arguably) as much prep football talent as the state of Michigan. But it is going to require a level of administrative commitment that, quite frankly, has been absent. I have to give credit where credit credit is due to AD Fred Glass, who has demonstrated a level of commitment to the football program unseen since the Mallory era.

The problem as I see it: Given the current status of the three bluebloods - and more importantly, elite programs - Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State, I'm unsure of Michigan State's ceiling anymore, and view any near future appearance in the B1G Championship / divisional crown by anyone other than the big three as highly unlikely, provided all of the current big three HCs are in place or subsequent HCing hires are not bungled. And that's not factoring in Maryland (high resources, proximity to talent) making a solid hire and Rutgers (highly populated, talent-laden area boosted by B1G Network $$$, exposure) getting it together, new coach or not.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 11-19-2018 at 12:37 AM.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1)Morning people
    2)Normal people

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    I wouldn't say MSU is a basketball first school.....but I would love to achieve what they are doing as well on the gridiron.
    It may be hard to believe, but even when factoring their enormous hoops success of the past twenty years or so under Izzo (which encompasses about 85 per cent of their success in that area), their majority of overall success the past 40 years has occurred on the football field. George Perles, in particular, had the football program humming for several seasons.
    1)Morning people
    2)Normal people

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Along with the late Terry Hoeppner - who, IMHO, would still be coaching the Hoosiers today were it not for his untimely death - Allen is the only defensive-oriented head coach since Mallory, which has no doubt played a factor in the program's stagnation. For that reason alone, I feel as though the program's ceiling under is Allen- and I'm not suggesting positively that said ceiling will be achieved - is higher than any previous post-Mallory IU FB head coach not named Hoeppner.

IMHO, if Allen isn't given at least as much time as Kevin Wilson (pre-Wilson's bowl appearance), it may be tough to attract a quality candidate.
    Matt Canada?
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

Matt Canada?
    Given the turmoil, he's done a decent job at Maryland. But were I the Maryland brass - even if the Terps buck the odds and qualify for a bowl - I'd still conduct a National HC search. The Lynch tenure at IU is proof enough positive in my eyes that emotional hires are bad ideas. Besides, Canada is another offensive-minded coach (OC) and, as previously mentioned, those haven't exactly worked out well at IU.
    1)Morning people
    2)Normal people

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Given the turmoil, he's done a decent job at Maryland. But were I the Maryland brass - even if the Terps buck the odds and qualify for a bowl - I'd still conduct a National HC search. The Lynch tenure at IU is proof enough positive in my eyes that emotional hires are bad ideas. Besides, Canada is another offensive-minded coach (OC) and, as previously mentioned, those haven't exactly worked out well at IU.
    National HC search? Novel idea. The Hoosiers should have done that!!!!!

My how things change in two months

I am really starting to get excited about this squad.
    In another thread it was argued that IU was one of the most impressive teams in the Big Ten. I challenged that and was "poo hooed".

My how things change in two months

In another thread it was argued that IU was one of the most impressive teams in the Big Ten. I challenged that and was "poo hooed".
    Season ain't over yet my friend. Still may go to a bowl. The future is bright.

Season ain't over yet my friend. Still may go to a bowl. The future is bright.
    Is going to a Bowl a big deal? If it is then why is there so much discussion of firing coaches?

Is going to a Bowl a big deal? If it is then why is there so much discussion of firing coaches?
    IU doesn't go to many of them...for us it is a big deal.

IU doesn't go to many of them...for us it is a big deal.
    Great. Then why all the talk of firing coaches?

Great. Then why all the talk of firing coaches?
    IU's OC is DeBord(remember him?) and he is horrible. Allen was handed the HC position after firing Wilson. He took over a team that by IU standards was good. All IU fans want is to go 7-5, 8-4 get a decent bowl game.

IU's OC is DeBord(remember him?) and he is horrible. Allen was handed the HC position after firing Wilson. He took over a team that by IU standards was good. All IU fans want is to go 7-5, 8-4 get a decent bowl game.
    OK, now it sounds like IU fans want more than a Bowl game. They want 7 or 8 wins and a "decent" Bowl game. But the excitement is sure gone.

OK, now it sounds like IU fans want more than a Bowl game. They want 7 or 8 wins and a "decent" Bowl game. But the excitement is sure gone.
    Well, I can only speak for myself. But Wilson had the program heading in the right direction. Allen took over and I am disappointed so far. But that's just me.

Well, I can only speak for myself. But Wilson had the program heading in the right direction. Allen took over and I am disappointed so far. But that's just me.
    So far, I think Allen has mostly been on the same course. In Wilson's last season (2016), IU was 6-7 with wins over FIU, Ball State, MSU, Maryland, Rutgers, and Purdue. MSU was the only team that wasn't terrible they beat. Wilson was canned, IU was left with an inconsistent QB situation. They turned in a 5-7 season and are now headed toward another 5-7 season if they lose to Purdue. With a win against Purdue we are looking at 6-7 or 7-6 pending bowl game outcome. I think Allen deserves another full season before the heat should start to turn up.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

16. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-19-2018),Sea Ray (11-19-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    So far, I think Allen has mostly been on the same course. In Wilson's last season (2016), IU was 6-7 with wins over FIU, Ball State, MSU, Maryland, Rutgers, and Purdue. MSU was the only team that wasn't terrible they beat. Wilson was canned, IU was left with an inconsistent QB situation. They turned in a 5-7 season and are now headed toward another 5-7 season if they lose to Purdue. With a win against Purdue we are looking at 6-7 or 7-6 pending bowl game outcome. I think Allen deserves another full season before the heat should start to turn up.
    That is all fine. I will give another year, but let's see how this season turns out first.

Turn Off Ads?