Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm Retiring!!!!!!

Re: I'm Retiring!!!!!!

Congrats GAC, that's awesome. Going to do any traveling?
    “When I use a word,” Trumpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.” “The question is,” said Trumpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that’s all.”

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Congrats GAC!!!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Congratulations GAC. For GAC, and anyone else that would be interested, I'm retired now, and retirement finances are kind of my thing now. Social Security options, Roth conversions, that kind of thing. If anyone wants to ask something feel free to shoot me a DM.

Think income not assets.....

I always feel the need to offer......
    Last edited by JaxRed; 08-21-2018 at 11:34 PM.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

5. Likes:

goreds2 (08-23-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Congratulations GAC. For GAC, and anyone else that would be interested, I'm retired now, and retirement finances are kind of my thing now. Social Security options, Roth conversions, that kind of thing. If anyone wants to ask something feel free to shoot me a DM.

Think income not assets.....

I always feel the need to offer......
    Jax, no offense. But I hope you are licensed. I am and have been for 7 years. Nothing bugs me more than people giving financial advice to others who aren't probably licensed to do so. It's the advice of friends, golf buddies, and co-workers that get people in trouble more often than not. I can't tell you how many of my friends have lost their rears in the BitCoin mess in the past few years. Now all that being said, and having read some of your stuff, I know you know what your talking about, but I would be cautious about providing advice.

Well deserved. Enjoy!
    “We’re going to get the pitching.” -Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    Jax, no offense. But I hope you are licensed. I am and have been for 7 years. Nothing bugs me more than people giving financial advice to others who aren't probably licensed to do so. It's the advice of friends, golf buddies, and co-workers that get people in trouble more often than not. I can't tell you how many of my friends have lost their rears in the BitCoin mess in the past few years. Now all that being said, and having read some of your stuff, I know you know what your talking about, but I would be cautious about providing advice.
    Nope, I totally understand your position. I know there are people giving idiotic advice, and doing idiotic things. I'm just a voice from the other side of the retired wall. I am 67 now, and started my slide into retirement about age 58. I slid because I went part time first and then did some consulting for a few years before retiring for real 3 1/2 years ago. It was starting at age 58 or so when I really started becoming educated (self-educated) about retirement stuff. I was too busy living life and working prior to that.

I'm pretty darn conservative in my investment strategy. No Bitcoins for me. I urge people to know their income and outflows, (in every upcoming stage of life). But mostly I like to make sure people are aware of their SS options (GAC would have less options than me because they got rid of some sweet stuff, but I am grandfathered), and their options on things like Roth IRAs and RMD's.

So I throw the option out there for family and friends. And every once in a while someone takes up the offer. We have a Facebook Group for people in my HS grad class, so we're all essentially the same age. I posted something there about a SS option (Restricted Applications) and how it could benefit some of us. About 3 people looked into it and started collecting an extra $7,000 to $8,000 a year.

So I like to offer. As long as I make the offer, I feel I've done my share...
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

9. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-22-2018),forfreelin04 (08-29-2018),GAC (08-22-2018)

Thanks everyone for your kind words. It really hasn't hit me yet - as far as any type of euphoria/emotional feeling goes. I actually feel somewhat numb (LOL).
    We sit down tomorrow night and kind of "finalize" everything with our financial guy. Been doing some thinking over the last few days as to when our actual last day of work would/should be? Now that I know I can get out, I wanted out yesterday! (LOL). But my wife turns 64 in mid-Jan, which means more monthly in SSI. And it's not that we need that extra money; but if we were looking at retiring in December some time, why not wait a few more weeks if it's advantageous for us? Plus, Honda goes into a paid Christmas shutdown from 12/21 til Jan 2nd. Why give that up?

So we're going to wait till the beginning of the new year (which ain't that far off). My last day will be the first day we come back from shut-down (Jan 2nd). My wife will retire approximately two weeks later, when she turns 64. And it also doesn't change/affect our 2018 tax situation. Plus I have 20 days of vacation I need to burn between now and then (and they will get burned LOL).

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Congrats GAC, that's awesome. Going to do any traveling?
    Yeah. But we're not world travelers (LOL). There is so much of THIS country we have not seen. I've been overseas, and pretty much have traveled up and down the east coast, as well as mid-west. But the farthest west I have ever been is Omaha, Nebraska. I want to see the national parks, and so many of those states (Arizona, California, Oregon. Wyoming, Texas, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Congrats! Now you will have more time to waste on Redszone. I'm nearing that retirement time too. Still a few more years,I'm 55, but its coming fast. Just stay active and I'm sure you will have many good years ahead!
    I'll have more time to do the Weekly College Football Pick'ems (which is approaching fast) LOL
    Last edited by GAC; 08-22-2018 at 04:41 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

11. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (08-23-2018),paintmered (08-22-2018),Redsfaithful (08-22-2018),Roy Tucker (08-26-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Thanks everyone for your kind words. It really hasn't hit me yet - as far as any type of euphoria/emotional feeling goes. I actually feel somewhat numb (LOL).
    We sit down tomorrow night and kind of "finalize" everything with our financial guy. Been doing some thinking over the last few days as to when our actual last day of work would/should be? Now that I know I can get out, I wanted out yesterday! (LOL). But my wife turns 64 in mid-Jan, which means more monthly in SSI. And it's not that we need that extra money; but if we were looking at retiring in December some time, why not wait a few more weeks if it's advantageous for us? Plus, Honda goes into a paid Christmas shutdown from 12/21 til Jan 2nd. Why give that up?

So we're going to wait till the beginning of the new year (which ain't that far off). My last day will be the first day we come back from shut-down (Jan 2nd). My wife will retire approximately two weeks later, when she turns 64. And it also doesn't change/affect our 2018 tax situation. Plus I have 20 days of vacation I need to burn between now and then (and they will get burned LOL).

Yeah. But we're not world travelers (LOL). There is so much of THIS country we have not seen. I've been overseas, and pretty much have traveled up and down the east coast, as well as mid-west. But the farthest west I have ever been is Omaha, Nebraska. I want to see the national parks, and so many of those states (Arizona, California, Oregon. Wyoming, Texas, etc).

I'll have more time to do the Weekly College Football Pick'ems (which is approaching fast) LOL
    That's right and its coming up soon. You gotta retire before the season start not after.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Congrats old fart.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

I want to see the national parks, and so many of those states (Arizona, California, Oregon. Wyoming, Texas, etc).
    Smart - just focusing on national parks alone would be incredibly rewarding. I know I'd love to see them all in my lifetime.
    “When I use a word,” Trumpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.” “The question is,” said Trumpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that’s all.”

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

While I haven't been (yet), you've got to be sure to hit up the parks in Utah.

16. Likes:

marcshoe (08-25-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    While I haven't been (yet), you've got to be sure to hit up the parks in Utah.
    Seconded. We were in Zion last month. It's absurdly beautiful.

18. Likes:

dougdirt (08-22-2018),marcshoe (08-25-2018)

Here's the thing gentlemen .....

When it comes to those western states (Utah, Wyoming, Oregon, etc), my only "exposure" to the vast, natural beauty of those states, for my entire life, has been through reading/watching NG and other such media. And always telling myself "Someday!" (LOL). Well that "day" has arrived.

I'm not only a huge, huge western movie fan, but also a history buff of the old west (the real west). I want to travel to some of those towns, like Dodge City, Abilene, Tombstone, etc. I've had family and friends, in their travels, who have been through those towns and tell me "You'll be disappointed". But it's not like I'm expecting Dodge City (for example) to be something out of Gunsmoke (LOL). I'm going mainly for the experience, just to set foot in those towns, and the history that's connected to them.

But I think our first "vacation" this Spring will be to Florida. We've never been to the Keys. Know nothing about them either, other then their location (LOL). But my wife and I have had a very emotionally burdensome last few months ... especially my wife, and it's still kind of ongoing .... her Mom passed away two weeks ago after several months of illness. Her Dad (91) survives, as well as an older sister who is disabled. They all lived together in a condo in Columbus. Mom has passed, but Dad and her sister need constant care. So my wife's sister, who just retired and temporarily moved in the condo, and my wife, are assuming legal custody, and they have to find a better situation for them both.

Then, last week, my wife found out her older brother's cancer (colon) came back, and the situation doesn't look good. So yeah, when it rains it pours. But it really has been emotionally draining on my wife.

So WE really need a vacation somewhere where we can just relax, unwind, and RECHARGE. I figure sitting on a beach or on a hotel balcony, looking out over the ocean, is a solid way to do it.

So if anyone has any solid info or suggestions about the area, I'd appreciate the input.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

20. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-23-2018),HeatherC1212 (08-23-2018),marcshoe (08-26-2018),Redsfaithful (08-23-2018),RiverRat13 (08-28-2018),Roy Tucker (08-26-2018)

Congrats GAC, I hope you enjoy every minute of it- well deserved I am sure! I am glad to hear you are able to retire at an early age to enjoy it. My dad taught for nearly 50 years and just retired last summer at the age of 75. He was never in a financial position to retire earlier and loved teaching and wanted to continue but felt his mind was slipping and couldn't do it as well as he wanted. He started strong in retirement, picking up some hobbies and doing things around the house. Then he seemed to tire quickly and not feel well, and went downhill pretty fast to the point he could barely get up and go outside to check the mail. After 6 plus months now of Dr.s appts, tests, etc he was diagnosed this past Thursday with Leukemia.
    My wife and I met with our financial person a few weeks ago, he said we are on track to retire by 65 barring any setbacks, catastrophes, etc. My wife wants to expedite that so we can shoot for closer to 60.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Congratulations on the retirement! My UN-licensed advice for anyone to retire early as possible is to stay debt free except the house (pay that off fast though).
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Listened to the 2005 Div. Clincher on WLW - Watched the 2012 Div. Clincher on FOX.
    Watched the 2013 Playoff Clincher on FSO - Fiance' is a UK fan
    GO STEELERS - Go Buckeyes - Go SIXERS

Turn Off Ads?