Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are these guys prospects?

Re: Are these guys prospects?

To put his power and contact issues in view, imagine his numbers carried exactly over to a 650 PA big league season...he'd hit 52 homers, fan 236 times and walk 56 times....gotta work on those contact issues bc the lack of that is going to get worse as pitching gets better. If he can improve discipline, though, everything else should get even better. For certain, the Reds haven' t had a power hitting possibility like this in quite a while. Traded a power arm that couldn't throw strikes for a masher that can't tell the difference....
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

2. Likes:

mace (08-29-2018),malcontent (08-30-2018)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

What about Alex Powers?

40.2 IP, 2.21 ERA, 0.910 WHIP, 2.0 BB/9, 11.5 K/9

Does Chad Tromp have a chance to be anything close to as good as Ryan Hanigan?

Has Mitch Nay shown any skills to justify the Blue Jays taking him in the first round?

Speaking of first rounders, what's up with Nick Howard walking only 2 of the last 60 batters he has faced?

Are Gaby Guerrero's home runs impressive, or are they of the barely-clearing-the-fence variety?

I considered reminding people about Michael Beltre, but then I remembered Sean Henry, who came over in the deal for Jeff Conine.

How much of a chance does Brantley Bell have against pitching in AA?

Is Juan Martinez's power legit?

Juan Manauel Abril is racking up Ks in the AZL. What's his stuff like?

Carlos Reina is a switch-hitting, teenage catcher who has shown an ability to throw out baserunners, take a walk, make some contact, and show modest power.

In the DSL, I'm curious about a few pitchers ...

Jose Salvador
    Raul Hernandez
    Yoel Diaz
    Jose Zorrilla
    Last edited by camisadelgolf; 08-29-2018 at 06:08 PM.

5. Likes:

mth123 (08-29-2018),RED VAN HOT (08-29-2018)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    To put his power and contact issues in view, imagine his numbers carried exactly over to a 650 PA big league season...he'd hit 52 homers, fan 236 times and walk 56 times....gotta work on those contact issues bc the lack of that is going to get worse as pitching gets better. If he can improve discipline, though, everything else should get even better. For certain, the Reds haven' t had a power hitting possibility like this in quite a while. Traded a power arm that couldn't throw strikes for a masher that can't tell the difference....
    I know the K/BB ratio isn't great, but I've seen worse in prospects.

MiLB career numbers aren't bad: .278 .348 .515 .864
    Last edited by malcontent; 08-30-2018 at 12:13 AM.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    I know the K/BB ratio isn't great, but I've seen worse in prospects.

MiLB career numbers aren't bad: .278 .348 .515 .864
    When the strikeout rate is that high, the K/BB rate isn't important. If dudes in A-ball who can't locate a breaking ball, or usually even a fastball, can strike him out at that rate, it's an enormous red flag.

A guy I'm a bit fond of, Josh VanMeter, makes the Fringe Five on Fangraphs (which it seems Reds never usually make)

Selected originally by the Padres out of an Indiana high school in the fifth round of the 2013 draft, VanMeter’s margin for error as a prospect has always been rather thin. While having generally exhibited strong bat-to-ball skills and defensive versatility, he has also lacked the power on contact or capacity to play shortstop that would have rendered a major-league career more likely.

After a poor first run at Double-A in 2016, VanMeter was traded by San Diego to Cincinnati in the deal that sent catcher Luis Torrens to the Padres. VanMeter was no better at Double-A in 2017, but had a strong 100-plus plate appearances in the Southern League this season before earning a promotion to Triple-A. VanMeter performed particularly well in the concluding days of the campaign, recording walk and strikeout rates of 10.2% and 15.7%, respectively — plus a .310 isolated-power mark — in 127 plate appearances in August and September. The way in which the Reds have deployed him suggests he’s more of a second baseman/left fielder. If he can play the former at something like a league-average level, he would appear to have a chance at becoming a regular. If not, then he can probably still fulfill a role similar to the one Tommy La Stella has with the Cubs.
    https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-...prospects-121/
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

9. Likes:

BillDoran (09-05-2018),camisadelgolf (09-06-2018),mth123 (09-05-2018),NC Reds (09-05-2018),RED VAN HOT (09-05-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    A guy I'm a bit fond of, Josh VanMeter, makes the Fringe Five on Fangraphs (which it seems Reds never usually make)

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-...prospects-121/
    I kind of like Van Meter too, but the Reds would need to make a couple of 3 or 4 for 1 type deals to justify a roster spot. I just can't put him ahead of some of the other guys. He might be a useful multi-position guy, but he doesn't hit enough for the corners or even 2B and can't really play SS or CF IMO. I like him as an insurance policy in AAA though. Blandino and Herrera are clearly ahead of him IMO and I'd probably prefer Dixon as well. I wouldn't remove Aquino, Siri, Guerrero, Williams or Ervin to make room either.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

You cannot help but LOVE what El Presidente Fidel Castro has done this year. I'm eager to see where the Reds place him next year.. Greenville or Billings. Or do they keep him in AZ to better acclimate him to life in the U.S. and work on his language/communication skills.
    "There was like a softness to it, a glow to it. I felt... I felt warm."

-- Joseph Daniel Votto 7/10/2017

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    You cannot help but LOVE what El Presidente Fidel Castro has done this year. I'm eager to see where the Reds place him next year.. Greenville or Billings. Or do they keep him in AZ to better acclimate him to life in the U.S. and work on his language/communication skills.
    Extended spring will probably determine that. Reds had several guys jump over the AZL this year. Used to be that it only happened every few years and was older pitchers jumping from DSL to Billings. This year they skipped Claudio Finol, an 18-year-old, over the AZL and sent him right to Greeneville. Wouldn't surprise me if he was the type they'd do that with, too. We shall see though.

Chisel this name in stone: L-e-o-n-a-r-d-o S-e-m-i-n-a-t-i.

14. Likes:

mace (09-07-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Chisel this name in stone: L-e-o-n-a-r-d-o S-e-m-i-n-a-t-i.
    I'm not doing it. I prefer to make things out of wood than stone.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    What about Alex Powers?

40.2 IP, 2.21 ERA, 0.910 WHIP, 2.0 BB/9, 11.5 K/9

Does Chad Tromp have a chance to be anything close to as good as Ryan Hanigan?

Has Mitch Nay shown any skills to justify the Blue Jays taking him in the first round?

Speaking of first rounders, what's up with Nick Howard walking only 2 of the last 60 batters he has faced?

Are Gaby Guerrero's home runs impressive, or are they of the barely-clearing-the-fence variety?

I considered reminding people about Michael Beltre, but then I remembered Sean Henry, who came over in the deal for Jeff Conine.

How much of a chance does Brantley Bell have against pitching in AA?

Is Juan Martinez's power legit?

Juan Manauel Abril is racking up Ks in the AZL. What's his stuff like?

Carlos Reina is a switch-hitting, teenage catcher who has shown an ability to throw out baserunners, take a walk, make some contact, and show modest power.

In the DSL, I'm curious about a few pitchers ...

Jose Salvador
    Raul Hernandez
    Yoel Diaz
    Jose Zorrilla
    Powers doing well in the AFL (he's the only one). I wonder if a 40 man roster spot may be in order for him. Seems like a guy the Reds should make a spot for. Maybe if they open some spots with a deal or two, they could find room. I could see him as a 60 to 80 innings middle man on the cheap. The REds deep bullpen may be a place to draw upon in trades for guys with some upside.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Powers doing well in the AFL (he's the only one). I wonder if a 40 man roster spot may be in order for him. Seems like a guy the Reds should make a spot for. Maybe if they open some spots with a deal or two, they could find room. I could see him as a 60 to 80 innings middle man on the cheap. The REds deep bullpen may be a place to draw upon in trades for guys with some upside.
    If there are extra spots, he'd be among my first picks.

Powers might well provide some cheap, league average-ish middle relief innings.

Not like there's a ton of top 1B prospects pushing him aside or a gaping hole there in Cincinnati. Keep him around and see what happens.

Turn Off Ads?