Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lorenzen as a Position Player?

Re: Lorenzen as a Position Player?

It's an out of the box thought that should be explored. He's got skills and having him start 10 games a year in the field, plus come in during double switches might allow for some roster flexibility.

And I'll take it one step further.

The Reds should explore putting Blandino in the bullpen once he's fully healed. Not as a full time member, but, again, roster flexibility. He hit 90+ in his relief appearance, and has a SICK knuckleball.

No, I am not being facetious. IMO the new, NEW area to leverage is position flexibility. The Cubs do it a lot. The A's and Cardinals do it. But having both a pitcher and a position player able to possibly fill in makes for some interesting possibilities.

I don't think the Reds are nearly forward thinking enough to attempt this though.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Likes:

Number_Fourteen (09-06-2018)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    It's an out of the box thought that should be explored. He's got skills and having him start 10 games a year in the field, plus come in during double switches might allow for some roster flexibility.

And I'll take it one step further.

The Reds should explore putting Blandino in the bullpen once he's fully healed. Not as a full time member, but, again, roster flexibility. He hit 90+ in his relief appearance, and has a SICK knuckleball.

No, I am not being facetious. IMO the new, NEW area to leverage is position flexibility. The Cubs do it a lot. The A's and Cardinals do it. But having both a pitcher and a position player able to possibly fill in makes for some interesting possibilities.

I don't think the Reds are nearly forward thinking enough to attempt this though.
    Maybe, but it’s hard for me to imagine a time when Blandino is ever going to be the best part pitcher available in any given opportunity. Feels like more of a gimmick to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Maybe, but it’s hard for me to imagine a time when Blandino is ever going to be the best part pitcher available in any given opportunity. Feels like more of a gimmick to me.
    I agree but if Bailey and Bob Steve are on the roster next year I wouldn’t be so sure.
    But really, Blandino can be the guy to come in when it’s a 15 run game but Lorenzen could really help the club now and then by being a two way guy

Plenty of games every year where there is no need to waste bullets. In blowouts, either way, ease him in. See if it plays. If it does, gradually give him more responsibility.

91 followed by that knuckler? That'd be awesome to see.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Plenty of games every year where there is no need to waste bullets. In blowouts, either way, ease him in. See if it plays. If it does, gradually give him more responsibility.

91 followed by that knuckler? That'd be awesome to see.
    Sure yeah I’d definitely bring him in blowout games again, I just wouldn’t ever do it when the games on the line. Unless it’s like deep extra innings or something.

Sure yeah I’d definitely bring him in blowout games again, I just wouldn’t ever do it when the games on the line. Unless it’s like deep extra innings or something.
    Up by 3 7th inning the day after the pen was rode hard the previous few days?

I mean give him a few innings on the minor league fields in ST. See if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Make him a starting pitcher which would have him available to pinch hit on his off days.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Turn Off Ads?