Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018-9 Rule Five Draft

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

2018-9 Rule Five Draft

Who all would you add/remove to/from the 40-man roster in time for the rule five draft?

Here are my top-8 choices to be protected:
    C Hendrik Clementina
    1B/OF Nick Longhi
    OF Andy Sugilio
    UT Josh VanMeter
    RHP Tejay Antone
    RHP Jimmy Herget
    RHP Alex Powers
    LHP Carlos Diaz

Here are some other players I considered:
    C Chad Tromp
    1B Ibandel Isabel
    1B/3B Mitch Nay
    1B/OF Brian O'Grady
    SS Calten Daal
    IF Brantley Bell
    OF Michael Beltre
    OF Narciso Crook
    OF Gabriel Guerrero
    OF Reshard Munroe
    RHP Wendolyn Bautista
    RHP Brian Hunter
    RHP Jeremy Kivel
    RHP Wyatt Strahan
    RHP Cory Thompson
    LHP Kevin Canelon
    LHP Wennington Romero
    LHP Seth Varner

Frankly I see Jimmy Herget as the only lock. Josh Van Meter has been hot lately, so he may have earned a spot. Hendrik Clementina, Nick Longhi, and Andy Sugilio all intrigue me, but I just don't see them sticking to a MLB roster for an entire season. I have no idea what the Reds have in Alex Powers and Carlos Diaz, but they have both been excellent this year, albeit old for their levels.

Iirc, Matt Harvey is the only impending free agent on the roster. With a full 40-man roster and 2 players on the 60-day DL (Jesse Winker and Alex Blandino), that means the Reds will need to cut at least 1 player to get down to 40. Here are the likeliest candidates imo:

C Curt Casali
    IF Dilson Herrera
    OF Aristides Aquino
    OF Preston Tucker
    OF Mason Williams
    UT Brandon Dixon
    RHP Austin Brice
    RHP Tanner Rainey
    RHP Jackson Stephens
    RHP Zack Weiss
    LHP Brandon Finnegan

I'd have no problem parting with Preston Tucker, Mason Williams, Brandon Dixon, and Jackson Stephens. Perhaps you all have different preferences. What do you think?

2. Likes:

BillDoran (09-01-2018)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2018-9 Rule Five Draft

Jimmy Herget.

I don't see any of the others being selected and kept on a team all year.

5. Likes:

REDREAD (09-01-2018)

Isabel, Herget, VanMeter and Guerrero are the ones that leap out at me with O'Grady making a push. Hard to see guys in Dayton getting selected.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

7. Likes:

RedlegJake (08-30-2018)

Nice post, golf shirt. This has the potential to be a long running discussion. This year, it seems easier to decide the ones that could be dropped than the ones who need to be added.

Casali is a no doubt keeper. IMO, Herrera (multi-position sub) and Rainey would likely be taken, so they are keepers for me. I don't think it is wise to give up on the power of Aquino. Williams is useful as a CF backup. Dixon and Tucker would be at the top of my drop list. Dropping any of the rest would not surprise me.

I don't see many that a team would be willing to keep on their 25 man roster all year. My only sure thing to be added is Herget. Tromp would be next as he can be carried as a backup catcher. I don't know about health issues for Weiss. I would consider O'Grady, Isabel, and Strahan as a trade-off against Brice, Stephens, and Finnegan.

Happy trails Finnegan and Tucker, protect Clementina, Hergert, and Isabel

10. Likes:

RedlegJake (08-30-2018)

I like Alabama's selections....Clementina can hit and you can't give up on a guy with 80 power like Isabel even if he does need a big junp in discipline to be seen as legit, and Herget is the only pitcher I see as protection worthy. Herrerra, Casali will be on the 25 man, don't see them as part of discussion on who to cut to make room. Ervin gas earned his spot, too. Rainey? Blaah...another mow em down in AAA then get blasted like a ragged arm town ball pitcher when he faces MLers.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

12. Likes:

Alabama (08-31-2018)

So how many new guys need to be protected, III, or IV, or V?
    Were going to get the pitching. -Bob Castellini

14. Likes:

BillDoran (09-01-2018),klw (08-31-2018),RED VAN HOT (08-31-2018)

Herget, add.
    I personally don't think he's all that special (hate his arm slot) but the Reds have a lot invested in him.

Gabby, maybe.
    I'd personally DFA Dixon and add him right now, just to see if he can hit big league pitching in September. If he can't, I'd release him again at the end of the year. He's going to be a 6-year minor league free agent if not added.

Everyone else, pass.
    With 2 possible exceptions; if Cory Thompson or Tejay Antone are throwing 93+ I'd add them (last I saw of them they weren't) - type of guys who tend to get selected.

16. Likes:

REDREAD (09-01-2018)

Add Herget, Guerrero, Isabel, Clementina and Romero

Cut Homer Bailey, Robert Stephenson, Zach Weiss, Brandon Dixon, Austin Brice and Jackson Stephens.

Hopefully a couple of 3 for 1 type deals for a decent starting pitcher will make some room without so many cuts. I'd guess Stephens and Brice would be taken.
    Last edited by mth123; 08-31-2018 at 07:05 AM.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

18. Likes:

REDREAD (09-01-2018)

I don’t really see where there’s a threat to lose Clementina. If he were in AA or even maybe A+ there could be a chance, but I don’t see anybody carrying a guy with some pop in A ball (who’s still learning how to play catcher) for a full year on their big league team.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

20. Likes:

BillDoran (09-01-2018),RED VAN HOT (08-31-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I don’t really see where there’s a threat to lose Clementina. If he were in AA or even maybe A+ there could be a chance, but I don’t see anybody carrying a guy with some pop in A ball (who’s still learning how to play catcher) for a full year on their big league team.
    Even Stuart Turner had been at AA for 2 years before the Reds carried him.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post

Cut Homer Bailey, Robert Stephenson, Zach Weiss, Brandon Dixon, Austin Brice and Jackson Stephens.
    Voil! In view, vanquished veterans, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This vacant vanity of vanishing veterans into the void is a vestige of the vox populi. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V and keep Rob Steeve and Jack Step. The rest may vamoose.
    Last edited by klw; 08-31-2018 at 10:31 AM.

23. Likes:

JustaFan (09-09-2018),texasdave (08-31-2018)

Hopefully a couple of 3 for 1 type deals for a decent starting pitcher will make some room without so many cuts. I'd guess Stephens and Brice would be taken.

Love the idea of cutting underperformers that is not going to be part of the solution.
    Plus, if those guys are gone, it forces the Reds to get some pitching this offseason to fill out the roster..
    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

25. Likes:

mth123 (09-01-2018)

I actually agree with your keepers here, I think we need to move off some chaff from the 40 who underperform or trade some for lottery picks. Guys I would remove and not lose sleep:

--Bailey, Weiss, Dixon, Stephens, Tucker, Finnegan, M.Williams, Peralta.

Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post
    I actually agree with your keepers here, I think we need to move off some chaff from the 40 who underperform or trade some for lottery picks. Guys I would remove and not lose sleep:

--Bailey, Weiss, Dixon, Stephens, Tucker, Finnegan, M.Williams, Peralta.
    Well 2 of them are gone so far
    Crazy Reds Fan

28. Likes:

REDREAD (09-04-2018)

Turn Off Ads?