Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2018-9 Rule Five Draft

Re: 2018-9 Rule Five Draft

Next Tuesday, Nov. 20, brings the deadline in which organizations must protect eligible players from the Rule 5 Draft by adding them to their 40-man rosters. Eligible players are those who signed or were drafted when they were 18 or younger and have been in pro ball for five years, or those who signed or were drafted when they were 19 or older and have been in pro ball for four years.

Organizations, of course, can only add as many prospects as they have openings on their 40-man roster. Any others left exposed who have the above eligibility could be taken in the upcoming Rule 5 Draft, to be held Dec. 13 at the Winter Meetings in Las Vegas. Getting picked there means they'd have a chance to stick for a full season in the Major Leagues with their new club.

This Toolshed (https://www.milb.com/milb/news/tools...ew/c-300760064) runs down each Rule 5-eligible prospect ranked among the top 30 in each farm system by MLB.com, along with the protection outlook of each organization.

2. Likes:

marcshoe (11-18-2018),RED VAN HOT (11-19-2018)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I'm hopeful New York doesn't protect Erik Swanson, who could be a fifth starter candidate or a solid relief arm. Fastball sits in the low to mid 90s as a starter and has two solid offspeed stuff.

Pedro Avila is another guy who could be promising. His fastball sits low 90's as a starter, but both his change and curve flash plus. He'd be an outstanding relief arm for a year or two.

If both of those guys are chosen when the Reds pick, I'd look to St. Louis's Junior Fernandez, who has an upper 90's fastball and a developing change that flashes above average.

5. Likes:

marcshoe (11-18-2018)

I'd avoid the rule 5 circus altogether and use those slots for quality free agents instead. I love spending CastWill's money.....
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

7. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-01-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Herget, add.
    I personally don't think he's all that special (hate his arm slot) but the Reds have a lot invested in him.

MLBTR says Reds added Jimmy Herget to the roster and he’s the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I'd avoid the rule 5 circus altogether and use those slots for quality free agents instead. I love spending CastWill's money.....
    I hear what you are saying, but it's kind of sad that there isn't a prospect good enough to push Juan Graterol off the roster. I think the Reds have slots if they need them.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

10. Likes:

HokieRed (11-24-2018)

Below is the complete list of mlbpipeline's remaining top 30 org prospects who will be eligible for this year's Rule 5 Draft, all 83 players were left unprotected yesterday:

Arizona Diamondbacks
    7. Marcus Wilson
    22. Alex Young
    23. Cody Reed

Atlanta Braves
    22. Travis Demeritte
    28. Josh Graham

Baltimore Orioles
    29. Luis Gonzalez

Boston Red Sox
    10. Josh Ockimey
    21. Jhonathan Diaz
    23. Roldani Baldwin
    27. Roniel Raudes

Chicago Cubs
    17. Trevor Clifton
    25. Erling Moreno
    28. Jason Vosler

Chicago White Sox
    26. Spencer Adams

Cincinnati Reds
    22. Michael Beltre
    25. Nick Longhi

Cleveland Indians
    21. Oscar Gonzalez
    30. Tyler Krieger

Colorado Rockies
    19. Breiling Eusebio
    23. Roberto Ramos
    25. Brian Mundell
    27. Dom Nunez

Detroit Tigers
    19. Jose Azocar
    24. Tyler Alexander
    29. Derek Hill

Houston Astros
    17. Riley Ferrell
    23. Jonathan Arauz

Kansas City Royals
    28. D.J. Burt
    29. Foster Griffin
    30. Ofreidy Gomez

Los Angeles Angels
    15. Leonardo Rivas
    18. Luis Pena
    28. Joe Gatto

Los Angeles Dodgers
    19. Drew Jackson
    24. Cristian Santana
    29. Andrew Sopko

Miami Marlins
    18. Christopher Torres
    26. Brayan Hernandez
    30. McKenzie Mills

Milwaukee Brewers
    10. Jake Gatewood
    17. Cody Ponce
    28. Carlos Herrera

Minnesota Twins
    16. Lewin Diaz
    22. Tyler Jay

New York Mets
    19. Luis Carpio
    21. David Thompson
    25. Ali Sanchez
    27. Patrick Mazeika

New York Yankees
    29. Dermis Garcia

Oakland Athletics
    12. Richie Martin
    27. James Naile

Philadelphia Phillies
    12. Daniel Brito
    16. Jose Gomez
    27. Tom Eshelman

Pittsburgh Pirates
    19. Gage Hinsz
    24. Brandon Waddell
    28. Domingo Robles

San Diego Padres
    none

San Francisco Giants
    8. Sandro Fabian
    18. Juan De Paula
    23. Jordan Johnson
    27. Tyler Herb
    28. C.J. Hinojosa

Seattle Mariners
    14. Art Warren
    20. Ian Miller
    23. Anthony Jimenez
    24. Luis Liberato
    26. Ronald Rosario
    27. Chuck Taylor
    28. Anthony Misiewicz
    29. Darin Gillies
    30. Joseph Rosa

St. Louis Cardinals
    11. Max Schrock
    14. Junior Fernandez
    23. Wadye Ynfante

Tampa Bay Rays
    none

Texas Rangers
    17. Pedro Gonzalez
    30. Edgar Arredondo

Toronto Blue Jays
    24. Forrest Wall
    27. Jordan Romano

Washington Nationals
    13. Telmito Agustin
    23. Luis Reyes
    24. Tomas Alastre
    25. Jose Marmolejos
    29. Drew Ward

12. Likes:

757690 (12-01-2018),HokieRed (11-24-2018),JaxRed (11-23-2018),lollipopcurve (11-21-2018)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Below is the complete list of mlbpipeline's remaining top 30 org prospects who will be eligible for this year's Rule 5 Draft, all 83 players were left unprotected yesterday:

Toronto Blue Jays
    24. Forrest Wall
    That's quite the tumble for someone drafted so high. I remember wanting the Reds to draft him that year (2014) but they took Blandino instead.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    That's quite the tumble for someone drafted so high. I remember wanting the Reds to draft him that year (2014) but they took Blandino instead.
    I don't think he went to Stanford.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Some guys I would look at are:

Pitchers-DePaula(SF), Ferrell(Hou)

Hitters-Gatewood(MIL), Demerette(Atl), Martin(OAk)

these guys could be decent enough to stash as the last guy in the pen, or the 25th guy off the bench.

I like Tyler Jay (Min). Former sixth overall pick in 2015. MLB has him with a plus fastball, above average slider, average curve, changeup in progress. He was at AA last year, and is a lefty. He does have an injury history. Tell him to focus on the fastball and slider and keep him in the bullpen?

Drew Jackson (LAD) is a plus athlete with big speed and an arm and could defend anywhere in the infield. Had an 804 OPS at AA last year.

17. Likes:

marcshoe (11-24-2018),mth123 (11-24-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    I like Tyler Jay (Min). Former sixth overall pick in 2015. MLB has him with a plus fastball, above average slider, average curve, changeup in progress. He was at AA last year, and is a lefty. He does have an injury history. Tell him to focus on the fastball and slider and keep him in the bullpen?

Drew Jackson (LAD) is a plus athlete with big speed and an arm and could defend anywhere in the infield. Had an 804 OPS at AA last year.
    Both of these names are on my list. The Reds need LHP options for the bullpen where Garrett isn't exactly bankable and Peralta is more suspect than prospect. At this point, Reed is needed in the rotation. It would be nice to get another option for matching up. IF who can play SS are also needed. A guy like Jackson is probably more valuable than Trahan. I'm not sure if Blandino will be ready right away. I haven't heard either way, but that was a pretty significant injury he may not be ready for the beginning of the season. Jackson can also play CF. Nobody other than Hamilton on the roster really can (Siri should probably not be an option).
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

19. Likes:

podgejeff_ (11-24-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I hear what you are saying, but it's kind of sad that there isn't a prospect good enough to push Juan Graterol off the roster. I think the Reds have slots if they need them.
    Juan Graterol, Aristides Aquino, and Jordan Patterson were indeed non-tendered today. Obviously not arbitration situations but reported as non-tenders.

Reds say they hope to sign them. Could be pre-arranged deals? Reds roster now stands at 36 players.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-30-2018 at 11:33 PM.

Cincinnatireds.com still shows Graterol on the roster. If this is true, the roster stands at 37. Who knows.

http://m.mlb.com/cin/roster/40-man/
    Last edited by texasdave; 12-01-2018 at 06:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Cincinnatireds.com still shows Graterol on the roster. If this is true, the roster stands at 37. Who knows.

http://m.mlb.com/cin/roster/40-man/
    I’m sure that listing is just transitional, Graterol’s non-tender was announced, it’s reported in Enquirer article that the roster is at 36.

Notably Reds only have four listed outfielders on the current roster — including Jose Siri. This doesn’t include Senzel who is not yet added to the forty. Pretty thin.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-01-2018 at 09:34 AM.

With the number of FA's available who could conceivably be signed to minor league deals, I would expect a very quiick and dull Rule 5 selection process.

Turn Off Ads?