Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 59 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Football - 2018 Season

Re: Ohio State Football - 2018 Season

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    Offense looks great but the defense has been burned on a lot of long plays they have given up today
    Need to clean it up, but not super worried about it.

Overall super happy with that performance. I thought that offense would be good and it looked better than I hoped.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Safeties need to work on their angles.
    Freak out in a moonage daydream oh yeah

Some personal observations, for whatever they're worth:

Probably best to not draw too big of conclusions after the first game of the season, but a lot to like and some real areas of concern.

Dwayne Haskins looks like the real deal. There will be growing pains. He's going to turn the ball over more than we're accustomed, but, boy, can he sling it. Those wide receivers are going to get a lot of opportunities to look good.

I like Parris Campbell a lot. Seems like a mature young man. He seems invested in the program. He seems like the student-athlete ideal. I'm not sure he'll ever be much of a receiver though. He's fast as lightning, but he fights the ball. He struggles to track the ball. He couldn't even get a hand on a ball that likely should have been pulled in.

Not sure it's indicative of anything, but I thought Weber looked leaps and bounds better than Dobbins. Dobbins looked like he lacked the burst that makes him unique. Weber looks like the healthy iteration we saw late last season when he was gashing defenses for long runs. I imagine Dobbins will come around, and the backfield looks to be in great shape.

I really enjoyed the play calling. To my untrained eye, it's the same offense we've been running, but with a stronger passer and less reliance on the QB keeper.

Not sure where the blame goes on the defense, but I do think the Oregon State offense will be top-half at the end of the season. Jonathan Smith did a great job keeping the defense off balance. You could tell he was going to be a problem when they came out of the gates with the screens and the misdrections. Other than Iowa, that's the recipe for moving the ball against Ohio State's aggressive defense.

Defensive line looked good, as advertised. Bosa and Jones are a potent combo. Hope to see Cooper and/or Young come around. Not sure what to make of the lapses. Those long touchdown runs by Pierce can't happen. Bradford made some big plays as well. Not sure if the Beavers' scheme had folks confused, but there weren't even people around on some of the big gains. I think the easy scapegoat is Bill Davis again. The secondary didn't look especially good either. They were missing their best DB in Fuller, but Okudah's repeated flags, some guys running wide open, and the general feel from the back half of the defense didn't inspire confidence. Again, too early to make any definitive statements about where the blame lies, but you'd like to see a tighter unit against a third-string QB.

I was kind of surprised we didn't see McCall on the first string returning kicks or punts. I wonder if he was suspended for the first half, or perhaps the coaching staff doesn't have as high an opinion on him as the fanbase. He does look explosive.

I think the Buckeyes will have a very dependable kicking and punting duo. Chrisman and Nuernberger are solid to very good. I think Chrisman has possible NFL potential.

We won't learn much next week either against Rutgers, but I think there's every reason to remain optimistic about the season ahead. I think the offense could be something special.

5. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-02-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    77 total
    ...by 46.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I was helping one of my friends move into her new house today so I didn't get to watch the game, but I caught up on some of the highlights and I feel like there's so much to like about this team. Haskins was pretty great overall, Bosa is a monster, Weber was outstanding (so glad he's healthy again), and I love seeing more passing this year from the offense. Obviously there's a few defensive things they need to work on but overall, I thought this was a pretty solid way to open up this new football season. SO excited to have Buckeye football (and college football in general) back this weekend!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

8. Likes:

jimbo (09-02-2018),Redsfaithful (09-03-2018)

In town visiting my parents for the weekend. Went to the game.

I got a nice sunburn watching a game that was delayed by monsoon rains.

10. Likes:

BuckeyeRed27 (09-03-2018),HeatherC1212 (09-04-2018),Roy Tucker (09-02-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Some personal observations, for whatever they're worth:

Probably best to not draw too big of conclusions after the first game of the season, but a lot to like and some real areas of concern.

Dwayne Haskins looks like the real deal. There will be growing pains. He's going to turn the ball over more than we're accustomed, but, boy, can he sling it. Those wide receivers are going to get a lot of opportunities to look good.

I like Parris Campbell a lot. Seems like a mature young man. He seems invested in the program. He seems like the student-athlete ideal. I'm not sure he'll ever be much of a receiver though. He's fast as lightning, but he fights the ball. He struggles to track the ball. He couldn't even get a hand on a ball that likely should have been pulled in.

Not sure it's indicative of anything, but I thought Weber looked leaps and bounds better than Dobbins. Dobbins looked like he lacked the burst that makes him unique. Weber looks like the healthy iteration we saw late last season when he was gashing defenses for long runs. I imagine Dobbins will come around, and the backfield looks to be in great shape.

I really enjoyed the play calling. To my untrained eye, it's the same offense we've been running, but with a stronger passer and less reliance on the QB keeper.

Not sure where the blame goes on the defense, but I do think the Oregon State offense will be top-half at the end of the season. Jonathan Smith did a great job keeping the defense off balance. You could tell he was going to be a problem when they came out of the gates with the screens and the misdrections. Other than Iowa, that's the recipe for moving the ball against Ohio State's aggressive defense.

Defensive line looked good, as advertised. Bosa and Jones are a potent combo. Hope to see Cooper and/or Young come around. Not sure what to make of the lapses. Those long touchdown runs by Pierce can't happen. Bradford made some big plays as well. Not sure if the Beavers' scheme had folks confused, but there weren't even people around on some of the big gains. I think the easy scapegoat is Bill Davis again. The secondary didn't look especially good either. They were missing their best DB in Fuller, but Okudah's repeated flags, some guys running wide open, and the general feel from the back half of the defense didn't inspire confidence. Again, too early to make any definitive statements about where the blame lies, but you'd like to see a tighter unit against a third-string QB.

I was kind of surprised we didn't see McCall on the first string returning kicks or punts. I wonder if he was suspended for the first half, or perhaps the coaching staff doesn't have as high an opinion on him as the fanbase. He does look explosive.

I think the Buckeyes will have a very dependable kicking and punting duo. Chrisman and Nuernberger are solid to very good. I think Chrisman has possible NFL potential.

We won't learn much next week either against Rutgers, but I think there's every reason to remain optimistic about the season ahead. I think the offense could be something special.
    Just to dissect this a little bit.

They looked awesome to me, the offense was clicking and looks to be one of the best in football. I was happy with the OLine, now I don't think Oregon St will be anything on defense, but Haskins had all day to throw. A great OL is a must if you want to contend, and it looks like they have one.

Not too worried about the defense. You had to expect some growing pains. Most of the damage was done with Bosa and Jones on the bench, they also were breaking in three new LB's and without their best DB. Okudah will be fine, two early flags, one that should have been thrown, are to expect in the first live action. A lot of what I have heard is Fuller and Borland are important at getting the players in the right position. In all reality, if Jackson makes a tackle, Oregon St. scores too many points, but it isn't that big of a concern.

This is kinda the performance you want for the first game. They looked good but had a lot to work on. If the LB's and S's continue to struggle with Borland and Fuller in the game and they continue through week 4, I will begin to get really nervous. As of right now, it gives them something to work on.

Parris Campbell is Urban's kind of H-Back. I think if you are looking for a big play WR, look at Mack or even McLauren. Dixon and Campbell are guys who will thrive catching the ball and running. Mack is a guy who will catch a contested ball.

Mack has become my favorite WR of the group. He just competes and I think he will be the biggest beneficiary of Haskins at QB.

TCU will be a little bit better test, but man this team looks scary.

I posted this in wrong thread after first TD:

That pass is the one Barrett was terrible at. The over the shoulder in stride bomb. Haskins just threw it perfectly. This kid is special.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

15. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-11-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I posted this in wrong thread after first TD:

That pass is the one Barrett was terrible at. The over the shoulder in stride bomb. Haskins just threw it perfectly. This kid is special.
    The second one was even better. He made a 45 yard strike look effortless.

17. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (09-09-2018),Revering4Blue (09-11-2018)

Winning is fun.

Haskins can sling it.

I have been wondering if the three game suspension may be a blessing in disguise for Urban. Now granted everything we are seeing has the Urban stamp on it, but its nice to see what Day and Wilson have come up with. Now granted Haskins and Barrett are two different animals at QB, but Urban has been able to sit back and watch two games and see what has been working and what hasn't. The zone read hasn't been called, and the offense has been ok.

This TCU game will be a test. While Haskins for the most part has been untested, he did come up pretty big in a pretty big time game last year. I think as long as the lines play like they are capable, it will take a special effort to beat them. They just are so deep on the DLine and very talented on the OLine.

20. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (09-13-2018),Revering4Blue (09-11-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I have been wondering if the three game suspension may be a blessing in disguise for Urban. Now granted everything we are seeing has the Urban stamp on it, but its nice to see what Day and Wilson have come up with. Now granted Haskins and Barrett are two different animals at QB, but Urban has been able to sit back and watch two games and see what has been working and what hasn't. The zone read hasn't been called, and the offense has been ok.
    This offense has looked a lot more like the type of offense Wilson led at Indiana. It would be interesting to know what the playcalling with Barrett would have been if it was just Wilson, without Meyer having input. Obviously Haskins is much more suited to this style of offense than JT, but I still think Wilson likely would have been more aggressive with pass plays last year if he could have. Hopefully they look great against TCU and Meyer will continue this style of offense going forward.

I don’t think the play calling will be much/any different with Urban. J.T. just simply can’t make the throws that Haskins can make. 11W has a film study article this week, and they are using the same formations on third down that they did last year. Difference is J.T. would run for 3 yards and Haskins hits someone as soon as they pop open with a short pass.

Turn Off Ads?