Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Art and family

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Art and family

A couple years ago I started writing, or more precisely I started trying to do it commercially. I had just been involved in an auto accident in Clifton and had more time on my hands because I couldn’t spend as much time in the day driving. I would drive until I got too sore and then come home and spend a few hours writing. I tried freelance writing for a couple months, doing articles and blog posts and the like, got bored with that, and started working on a novel.

I had a notion that I would write one novel to check off a bucket list item, but the first draft went so fast and I had one done in a couple months. I researched publishing options and after a couple weeks decided I would self publish, but as I didn’t have the money for a professional cover design and editing, I saved that draft and started working on another. The same thing happened when I finished that one, so I started on another one.

Since then I’ve written four novels and finally managed to scrape enough money together for covers design and editing on the first two. Those two are available on Amazon and are selling slow and steady, a few copies of each every day. I’m still learning marketing and I have a long way to go in that regard.

When I was writing them, I didn’t really have a good idea of the quality of my own work, since we’re either our own worst critic or think too highly of our work to be an objective judge. It turns out that the first one has been received well by those who have read it and has gotten some decent reviews. I thought my second one was better, but the first one is resonating with people in some way. No complaints from me.

Here’s the funny part. My in laws in Kenya have been enthusiastic and my wife has been pusing my work to all of her friends. Many of my friends have purchased books or read advanced copies and given me good feedback on plot structures. My father, on the other hand, is a complete enigma. With each release, I have run the usual advertisements on Amazon and Facebook and seen sales come in from complete strangers, but not a single purchase from my own dad. I have even sent him download links for each book and for a short story I wrote and he hasn’t bothered to even download either of them.

It’s not like he doesn’t read either. He’s one of the main reasons I’m such an avid reader, and probably why I went into writing. It’s not like I’m not writing in a genre he reads either. Both of the books I’ve already published are right up his alley and the two others I plan on releasing by the end of the year are also in his wheelhouse.

I’ve not been writing with the idea that I’m going to put something out there that my father likes, but I know based on what he likes to read that he would like my work, but for the life of me I can’t figure out why he doesn’t seem inclined to even read a free copy, let alone buy one. I know if my mother was still living she would have read them on release day and been marketing them to everyone she knew, whether they sucked or not, and I’m pretty sure they don’t suck.

So, should I care if he ever reads them, or should I just move on, keep writing, and not give a darn if my own father supports what I’m doing or not? Either way, I’m going to keep writing and publishing and if he never reads a single book, so be it, but it just bugs me in some way I can’t quite put a finger on. All my friends are asking me when my next one is coming out, and my own dad hasn’t even bothered to crack the cover on either one.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

2. Likes:

BillDoran (09-13-2018),marcshoe (09-13-2018),Redsfaithful (09-13-2018)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Art and family

How good is your relationship outside of this topic?

Is there a possibility that he's scared to read them? Scared that he won't like them but won't know how to tell you that?

Should you care? Absolutely. No matter how much you enjoy the process, there is still a ton of work put into it, and anyone would naturally want their parents to appreciate the work that went into the process. Should he read it? Absolutely, I know I would if it was my own kids work. however, if he doesn't, for whatever reason, that shouldn't preclude you from writing more, especially if you are getting good feedback from others. Maybe it will take some time for him to accept this is something he "needs to do", but in the mean time, write for yourself and hope it turns into a success.
    Posting in the clutch since twenty ought two.

They call me "chef"

There's probably an infinite number of reasons why he won't read them but they all fall under the category of "family is personal and weird". My philosophy is that the closer we are with someone, the more our weird, dysfunctional, irrational core presents itself. In a way, a good but not super close friend ignoring your novel feels more unusual to me than a really close person ignoring it.

6. Likes:

BillDoran (09-13-2018)

He might have read them. Maybe he just can't figure a way to tell you whether he liked or didn't like them. Family IS weird that way.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Somehow, I don't think you should be bothered. I think he is simply separating OldRightHander the son from OldRightHander the writer, and his rationale is that he will read what he wants to read regardless of where the recommendation comes from. Silently, I'm sure he thinks that it's really cool that you're a writer, but that belongs to you, not him. I wouldn't read a lot into it, and I definitely wouldn't take offense.

edit: It isn't clear to me whether these are download only or available in print. Does he typically download books?
    Last edited by BernieCarbo; 09-17-2018 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post

edit: It isn't clear to me whether these are download only or available in print. Does he typically download books?
    From the link in his signature, the books are available in paperback and for Kindle.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    He’s not much for ebooks. He still buys hardbacks for full price. Mine are only in paperback and ebook, and the paperback is a bit cheaper than a hardback. I have another one coming out in a couple months. I think I’m just going to send him a set at Christmas.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Turn Off Ads?