Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My post in the game thread

Re: My post in the game thread

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Sure, but this doesn't happen in a vacuum. Let's say the Reds have their eye on a free agent pitcher but only want to offer him a 3 year deal. Some other team offers him 5-6 years. Now the Reds are out of luck because they won't go over 3 years. It certainly makes fiscal sense but that's not what the fans want to hear.
    Very true. But that is the reality the Reds are in. They really can't take on the risk of offering long term deals to pitchers, which means they will miss out on many good pitchers.

But plenty of teams have had success without signing pitchers to long term deals. They can still compete, if they are smart.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-28-2018)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    We’ve been througn this before, so I’m not trying to convince you, but I disagree with this asssessment.

Homer was a 3.50 ERA & FIP pitcher during thst period. That’s a #3 starter at best for me. I don’t care where he ranks among others in the league.

Over the past two seasons, Joey Gallo, Jose Abreau and Justin Smoak have been the top 3 1B in the AL (7-9 in MLB). But they have averaged around 2.5 fWAR as season over that period, which is league average for me. I wouldn’t count them as elite or All-Star quality 1B, even though their league ranking says they are.

I understand your point, and respect it, but just disagree with it.
    5 2014 Bailey's on this year's team and the Reds are in the playoffs.

Comfortably.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post

Comfortably.
    5 2014 Mike Leake's or 5 2014 Alfredo Simon's and the Reds are in the playoffs.

But not 5 2014 Homer Bailey's because he only made 23 starts, 145 IP.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Not to get too philosophical, but I think that comes with age. The more life experiences you acquire, good and bad, the better equipped you are to deal with life’s good and bad and putting things in perspective. Part of that is acquiring the emotional armor to withstand life’s inevitable blows. At the end of the day, you realize it’s just sports which is entertainment. You still retain the memories of when you lived and died with every game. And you know that is part of life’s fabric. So you keep your fandom going and look for the deeper and more human qualities of the game and realize it’s just a metaphor for ones life. But living and dying over each loss ceases.

Whew. All before my first cup of coffee.
    I'm 41, married, three kids, run a business..... still waiting for my sports obsession to weaken or for it to not affect me emotionally as it once did. Essentially, it affects me the same now as it did when I was 12. Not sure if this is a positive or negative, but it's the way it is.

7. Likes:

Roy Tucker (09-29-2018),TRF (09-28-2018)

5 2014 Mike Leake's or 5 2014 Alfredo Simon's and the Reds are in the playoffs.

But not 5 2014 Homer Bailey's because he only made 23 starts, 145 IP.
    ok 5 2014 Homer's and one each of Castillo and Harvey.

He was a #2 when he got that contract whether you think so or not. His numbers actually don't care what you or anyone thinks. The shame of it all is the injuries. A healthy Homer the last 4 years could have meant a lot in terms of winning, player acquisition via trade and FA.

This homer is not even clawing for his life. He's resigned to sitting out and watching as another pitcher in a similar situation takes the mound for the last start of the year. A pitcher that with each outing is desperate to show he can still pitch.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    Not for me. I haven’t actually watched a game since very, very early August. The Reds season ended for me in terms of any level of investment or enjoyment almost two months ago. I definitely still care about the organization as a whole or else I wouldn’t be typing this right now, but for me there is no sadness whatsoever when the season ends this weekend... the sadness came two months ago when I realized I didn’t care to watch anymore.

And this year was actually way better for me personally than every year since 2013. This team retained my legitimate interest longer and I got more enjoyment from following them than I did the past several years. I actually think there is an outline of a core here.... that said, the rotation is in shambles both now and in terms of future, so that dampens my excitement over the improvements in other areas. At the end of the day, the Reds will be a sub 70 win team.... again. One of the worst teams in MLB.... again. And the most important aspect of any baseball organization is essentially an empty cupboard here. That makes me sad. The season ending is more relief than anything.

10. Likes:

GAC (09-29-2018)

I'm 41, married, three kids, run a business..... still waiting for my sports obsession to weaken or for it to not affect me emotionally as it once did. Essentially, it affects me the same now as it did when I was 12. Not sure if this is a positive or negative, but it's the way it is.
    Yeah. At 41, I was still ranting and raving. And for many years after.

Give it another 25 years. You’ll see. The only constant is change.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

12. Likes:

Always Red (10-01-2018),Chip R (09-28-2018),RFS62 (09-28-2018),westofyou (09-28-2018)

Very true. But that is the reality the Reds are in. They really can't take on the risk of offering long term deals to pitchers, which means they will miss out on many good pitchers.

But plenty of teams have had success without signing pitchers to long term deals. They can still compete, if they are smart.
    And then people will complain that they aren't spending/trying enough to put a winner out there.

You're right but most of those teams usually develop their own pitchers or trade good prospects for them. The Reds can't develop pitchers and they don't have the prospects to trade for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

It's not about the front office. It's about the structure of the business of baseball.

It's incredibly stacked against the small market teams. The best we can hope for is immaculate draft picks, super efficient minor league development of our fleeting assets, rebuilding after the semi-decade fire sale, weeks of therapy and total suspension of disbelief.

The Reds haven't beaten me down. Baseball has with it's haves vs. the have-nots structure.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

15. Likes:

Always Red (10-01-2018)

Worth The Wait

Yeah. At 41, I was still ranting and raving. And for many years after.

Give it another 25 years. You’ll see. The only constant is change.
    I hope it doesn’t change, truly. I like the fact that I’m still as excited about it now as I used to be. And with that comes the dejection from losing. Can’t have one without the other. When I’m old, I hope I’m like the Dad from Rudy (please God don’t tell my wife that).

17. Likes:

Roy Tucker (09-29-2018)

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Notice she didn’t say “I should have watched more REDS baseball.”

Not to get too philosophical, but I think that comes with age. The more life experiences you acquire, good and bad, the better equipped you are to deal with life’s good and bad and putting things in perspective. Part of that is acquiring the emotional armor to withstand life’s inevitable blows. At the end of the day, you realize it’s just sports which is entertainment. You still retain the memories of when you lived and died with every game. And you know that is part of life’s fabric. So you keep your fandom going and look for the deeper and more human qualities of the game and realize it’s just a metaphor for ones life. But living and dying over each loss ceases.

Whew. All before my first cup of coffee.
    I couldn't have said it better Bruce. And you can get as philosophical as you want because sometimes that's all us old people can do.

Whoever wrote "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak" must have been writing about old people. My mind, now full of wisdom or whatever, has told my body "I'm tired of you making me look bad, and I'm no longer going to let you make a fool out of me!" (LOL)

I think my passion for baseball started to wane on the day I had to admit I could no longer play it (mid 40s). That hurt. It's not only an acknowledgement of age, but you're now a "bystander". But I have the memories. And in my mind, sometimes, I'm still that kid playing sandlot/neighborhood baseball and fantasizing about being Pete Rose, Willie Mays, or whoever ... and getting yelled at by Mom because I tore the knee out of my new jeans, which were for school (LOL)... trading baseball cards with the neighbor kids under the backyard tree. And then putting the cards of the players/teams you didn't care much for in the spokes of your bike, while trying to chew the worst piece of gum ever created ... throwing your glove over the handlebars of your wheelie bike while holding the bat in one hand over the shoulder, and meeting up with school-mates to play a game.

Thank God for the memories! There may be some who get "tired" of hearing about the days of the BRM (40 friggin' years ago). Understandable. They're probably young. Just like the Beatles too. All you can say is "You just had to be there!" (LOL)

But I'm ready for whatever life's future adventures have for me and my wife. I told the misses "Fasten your seat belt, because this is OUR time!"

This song says it al, and I pull it out every once in awhile to remind me ....

"In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

20. Likes:

Roy Tucker (09-29-2018)

Not for me. I haven’t actually watched a game since very, very early August. The Reds season ended for me in terms of any level of investment or enjoyment almost two months ago. I definitely still care about the organization as a whole or else I wouldn’t be typing this right now, but for me there is no sadness whatsoever when the season ends this weekend... the sadness came two months ago when I realized I didn’t care to watch anymore.

And this year was actually way better for me personally than every year since 2013. This team retained my legitimate interest longer and I got more enjoyment from following them than I did the past several years. I actually think there is an outline of a core here.... that said, the rotation is in shambles both now and in terms of future, so that dampens my excitement over the improvements in other areas. At the end of the day, the Reds will be a sub 70 win team.... again. One of the worst teams in MLB.... again. And the most important aspect of any baseball organization is essentially an empty cupboard here. That makes me sad. The season ending is more relief than anything.
    Very well spoken Ed.

And there's always next year ..............................

That's the main issue with me, as the season draws nigh ... What are we looking at going into next season?

Yeah, they have a pretty solid "core" from a position player (offensive) standpoint ... but what does that matter when your pitching is near the bottom, and there's not much hope in sight going into 2019 (unless this FO gets active in the off-season).

After watching an entire season ... Castillo is the only one I see as a "positive" going into next season. I believe in chances and showing patience... but how much patience, and how many chances, do we show some of these kids before they decide they may not be the answer? How many times do I have to watch a Reed or Stephenson?

It's like this FO has taken the position of "You guys are going to make it, we're going to keep beating our heads against the wall and trotting you out there till you prove us right!" LOL

This team has had 90+ loss seasons the last 4 years. Now I'm terrible at math, but even I can see there's no progress being made (LOL).
    Last edited by GAC; 09-29-2018 at 08:41 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Notice she didn’t say “I should have watched more REDS baseball.”
    True, I’ve watched more non Reds baseball this year than Reds baseball, but I’m on west coast time and my down time is post 7:00

So I watch Dodgers, Giants, A’s, Az, Angels.... occasionally M’s but they are consistently boring

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    No clubhouse could successfully contain FIVE Homer Baileys, of any vintage.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Turn Off Ads?