Turn Off Ads?
Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 283435363738

Thread: Managerial Search

Re: Managerial Search

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Wasn't Bryan Price supposed to be an analytics guy too?

Or at the very least, I remember hearing that he was open to it. Point being, I'll believe it when I see it. This is Cincinnati.
    In Price's defense, he did try things that Dusty would never have tried. He took Billy out of the leadoff spot put him in the 9th spot and batted guys like Schebler there. Early in 2017 he was not shy about bringing in pitchers in the first few innings if a starter had problems. He wasn't shy about trying new things it's just that even if he was the most Sabermetrically hip manager in baseball, it wasn't going to make a lot of difference with the lack of pitching and other things. I'm not saying he'd have been a great manager with a decent pitching staff and a healthy team and I certainly wasn't crying about him being fired but he wasn't dealt a very good hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Likes:

757690 (10-22-2018),RedlegJake (11-19-2018),redsmetz (10-25-2018),Revering4Blue (10-22-2018),TRF (10-23-2018)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Bell is the perfect hire for the Reds...

...to transition to Barry Larkin as the manager in 3 years.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

5. Likes:

REDREAD (10-26-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Bell is the perfect hire for the Reds...

...to transition to Barry Larkin as the manager in 3 years.
    Any chance Larkin is on Bells staff?

Quote Originally Posted by Senzling Hot View Post
    Any chance Larkin is on Bells staff?
    Not if he has an iota of intelligence.

Would you hire your replacement-in-waiting?

Bell should hire Eduardo Perez as his bench coach, Pete Jr. as his 3B coach. Ken Griffey Jr. as his hitting coach.

9. Likes:

REDREAD (10-26-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Not if he has an iota of intelligence.

Would you hire your replacement-in-waiting?
    If i thought he would help me succeed yes, but honestly no. I know Larkin has stated he wanted coaching experience before managing, and Larkin is not getting any younger. If I were Bell would I hire Larkin absolutely not. Just curious if maybe they had a prior relationship, and if it made sense in any scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Senzling Hot View Post
    If i thought he would help me succeed yes, but honestly no. I know Larkin has stated he wanted coaching experience before managing, and Larkin is not getting any younger. If I were Bell would I hire Larkin absolutely not. Just curious if maybe they had a prior relationship, and if it made sense in any scenario.
    Unless the Reds showed Bell their top secret plan to get Kershaw, deGrom AND Corbin without giving up Castillo, then no, Barry Larkin cannot help David Bell win games. Only real pitching can do that for the Reds. If the Reds get Kershaw, deGrom and Corbin, the Reds will win games, and fans can cheer everytime Larkin takes the lineup card to the umpire to start the game.

Rocco Baldelli got the Twins job this morning and it just came out that Charlie Montoyo is going to be the new Blue Jays manager. That's on top of Brad Ausmus becoming the Angels manager. So at the very least we know now that the Reds were on the same wavelength as most teams in terms of their search. Hopefully they made the right choice.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

13. Likes:

757690 (10-25-2018),Chip R (10-26-2018),Griffey012 (10-26-2018),RED VAN HOT (10-25-2018),redsmetz (10-25-2018),Revering4Blue (10-25-2018),Ron Madden (10-25-2018),WrongVerb (10-25-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    What this all tells me is that there's no real plan, that they didn't know what they were doing when they kept Bryan Price as long as they did and that there's no particular plan now. But at least Bell is a familiar face and they can cite his family history and familiarity with the front office and Marty and Thom and the camera guys and whatever.
    Honestly, the plan was to keep Price around as long as the fans would tolerate it. Then replace him with Riggleman, Bell or another cheap option.
    Was there a plan for the team to get better? Nope (which I know is what you were implying).. The plan was to stink up the field for 4 years, unless the farm produced a lot of miracles.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Wasn't Bryan Price supposed to be an analytics guy too?

Or at the very least, I remember hearing that he was open to it. Point being, I'll believe it when I see it. This is Cincinnati.
    Yea, I predict next season, the analytics folks on this site are not going to agree with Bell.
    There is not likely going to be a shift in the Reds' front office either.
    Same old, same old.
    Ever since Marge left, the Reds have been promising to be more analytical.. well, whatever they are doing hasn't produced good results.
    Kind of funny, their only real success recently was under Walt "old school" Jocketty, who was supposedly the analytics anti-Christ.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

16. Likes:

757690 (10-26-2018)

How u doin

David Bell I predict he's gone in 3 years.

I'm not a system player. I am a system.

19. Likes:

lollipopcurve (11-01-2018),Mitri (11-02-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Honestly, the plan was to keep Price around as long as the fans would tolerate it. Then replace him with Riggleman, Bell or another cheap option.
    Was there a plan for the team to get better? Nope (which I know is what you were implying).. The plan was to stink up the field for 4 years, unless the farm produced a lot of miracles.
    Hopefully the days of stinking are starting to come to end.
    Crazy Reds Fan

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quick Hits: Astros, Red Sox, Robertson, Girardi, Reds, Snell:

Joe Girardi was a strong candidate to become the Reds’ manager last month, but he took himself out of contention, paving the way for the team to hire David Bell. Girardi spoke Saturday about his withdrawal from Cincinnati’s search, telling Brendan Kuty of NJ.com: “I just decided that I was going to broadcast another year and spend another year with my family, wait to see what opportunities are presented next year and go from there. Thought I had good interviews but I just decided I’m going to wait.” Girardi was also a candidate in Texas, which, like Cincinnati, has struggled of late and may be in for another lean year in 2019. Considering the success Girardi had with the Yankees from 2008-17, neither Cincy nor Texas looked like an ideal match for him on paper. However, Girardi suggested to Kuty that he’s not opposed to overseeing a rebuilding club. “Whether it’s a team that’s rebuilding or it’s a team that’s in the middle (of a rebuild), it doesn’t matter to me,” the 54-year-old said. “I just felt like it wasn’t the right time.”
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

22. Likes:

BillDoran (11-20-2018)

Basically Girardi knew there were better jobs out there than Cincinnati and who could disagree with him? This is still another example of how market size hurts a team. I realize that the Reds have more problems than market size but I'm sure Girardi saw that budgets would always be a major issue here

Turn Off Ads?