Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds pick 7th next year

Reds pick 7th next year

nm

2. Likes:

REDREAD (10-01-2018)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: Reds pick 7th next year

A sweet wild pitch brings us home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Likes:

REDREAD (10-01-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    A sweet wild pitch brings us home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Just like the 1972 Game 3 of the Playoffs
    Were going to get the pitching. -Bob Castellini

7. Likes:

malcontent (10-01-2018),PuffyPig (10-03-2018)

I say we draft a 2nd or 3rd Baseman.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

9. Likes:

BillDoran (10-01-2018),malcontent (10-01-2018),NC Reds (10-02-2018),Spanky (10-17-2018)

It looks like a SS heavy draft.

Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar

My early money is on OF Riley Greene.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. -- Mahatma Gandhi

With the 7th pick in the draft:

A player with malaria, scurvy and/or swine flu

13. Likes:

Griffey012 (10-15-2018),REDREAD (10-12-2018),Spanky (10-17-2018),thatcoolguy_22 (10-30-2018)

There are predictions already. The consensus so far is that the Reds pick Zack Thompson, LHP, Kentucky. Anyone see him pitch in 2018?

Thompson ranks like 2d overall at this moment, a lefty with good stuff, an SEC pedigree. I don't think he lasts to 7 if he has a good spring.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

I cannot believe there were 6 worse teams than the Reds in baseball this year
    Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Ghosts, you gotta lay off the weaponized hallucinogens, my man.

17. Likes:

757690 (10-14-2018),REDREAD (10-14-2018),redsmetz (10-15-2018),Spanky (10-17-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I cannot believe there were 6 worse teams than the Reds in baseball this year
    Tanking is ruining the game IMO.

As far as the Reds go, I don't know enough about specific names, but I hope they take an advanced starting pitcher who has a short path to the big leagues. I get why they took Greene, but 2019 would look a lot better had the Reds taken Kyle Wright instead. If there is another Mike Leake out there, I'd be thrilled even if he seems a three or four at best. The Reds need a guy who they can slot into the rotation for 5 or 6 years more than they need somebody to dream on IMO.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

19. Likes:

REDREAD (10-15-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Tanking is ruining the game IMO.

As far as the Reds go, I don't know enough about specific names, but I hope they take an advanced starting pitcher who has a short path to the big leagues. I get why they took Greene, but 2019 would look a lot better had the Reds taken Kyle Wright instead. If there is another Mike Leake out there, I'd be thrilled even if he seems a three or four at best. The Reds need a guy who they can slot into the rotation for 5 or 6 years more than they need somebody to dream on IMO.
    MLB is thinking very differently today. Changes in the use of pitchers are accelerating. Much is being written about this.

Drafting a lower impact #3 or #4 starter is against the trend. Teams are more interested in high impact arms. Whether that pitcher becomes a traditional starter is less important today. Relievers are being used more and more, starters are averaging fewer innings (5.4 this year).

The best approach in the draft is to get the highest value player. If you draft a pitcher expecting he will be a traditional starter, it’s not very likely. Truly elite starters are the exception.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-14-2018 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    MLB is thinking very differently today. Changes in the use of pitchers are accelerating. Much is being written about this.

Drafting a lower impact #3 or #4 starter is against the trend. Teams are more interested in high impact arms. Whether that pitcher becomes a traditional starter is less important today. Relievers are being used more and more, starters are averaging fewer innings (5.4 this year).

The best approach in the draft is to get the highest value player. If you draft a pitcher expecting he will be a traditional starter, its not very likely. Truly elite starters are the exception.
    Problem is this approach has not worked for the Reds. When all your best arms end up in the bullpen, you see what happens to the starting rotation. Starting pitching is still what wins games. The Reds have proven they can't develop pitchers especially young pitchers. Im all for drafting a close to ready college starter.

22. Likes:

NC Reds (10-15-2018),REDREAD (10-15-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Senzling Hot View Post
    Problem is this approach has not worked for the Reds. When all your best arms end up in the bullpen, you see what happens to the starting rotation. Starting pitching is still what wins games. The Reds have proven they can't develop pitchers especially young pitchers. Im all for drafting a close to ready college starter.
    If he's an elite starting arm, I agree. But drafting an envisioned MOR starter at #7 -- which was the premise -- is a risk. Even if he's from college and considered near to the big leagues.

Today, it's very hard to reliably draft consistent six inning starters. You'll wind up with a muti-inning reliever, and I'm not sure that's what you want from a #7 overall draft selection. I go for BPA, highest value guy on the board.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-15-2018 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If he's an elite starting arm, I agree. But drafting an envisioned MOR starter at #7 -- which was the premise -- is a risk. Even if he's from college and considered near to the big leagues.

Today, it's very hard to reliably draft consistent six inning starters. You'll wind up with a muti-inning reliever, and I'm not sure that's what you want from a #7 overall draft selection. I go for BPA, highest value guy on the board.
    Exactly, the draft is no where close to an exact science. When you are projecting 17-21yr olds things always change. The odds of getting a high impact starter even at the top of the draft is highly unlikely. If there is a clear best player, but at this age there are so many factors. Take a prospect who is more polished and may actually help this team as was stated Mike Leake is a perfect example. Get talent that will help at the top of the draft, go for potential toward middle and end. Be creative with the bonus pool money.

25. Likes:

REDREAD (10-16-2018)

Turn Off Ads?