Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 38

Thread: Reds pick 7th next year

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    VIRGINIA
    Posts
    79

    Reds pick 7th next year

    nm

  2. Likes:

    REDREAD (10-01-2018)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    12,221

    Re: Reds pick 7th next year

    A sweet wild pitch brings us home.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  5. Likes:

    REDREAD (10-01-2018)

  6. #3
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    22,439

    Re: Reds pick 7th next year

    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    A sweet wild pitch brings us home.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Just like the 1972 Game 3 of the Playoffs
    Were going to get the pitching. -Bob Castellini

  7. Likes:

    malcontent (10-01-2018),PuffyPig (10-03-2018)

  8. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    9,038

    Re: Reds pick 7th next year

    I say we draft a 2nd or 3rd Baseman.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

  9. Likes:

    BillDoran (10-01-2018),malcontent (10-01-2018),NC Reds (10-02-2018),Spanky (10-17-2018)

  10. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,495

    Re: Reds pick 7th next year

    It looks like a SS heavy draft.

  11. #6
    Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Monterey, CA
    Posts
    12,966

    Re: Reds pick 7th next year

    My early money is on OF Riley Greene.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. -- Mahatma Gandhi

  12. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,146

    Re: Reds pick 7th next year

    With the 7th pick in the draft:

    A player with malaria, scurvy and/or swine flu

  13. Likes:

    Griffey012 (10-15-2018),REDREAD (10-12-2018),Spanky (10-17-2018),thatcoolguy_22 (10-30-2018)

  14. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    159

    Re: Reds pick 7th next year

    There are predictions already. The consensus so far is that the Reds pick Zack Thompson, LHP, Kentucky. Anyone see him pitch in 2018?

  15. #9
    Moderator RedlegJake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Saint Joseph, Mo
    Posts
    9,407

    Re: Reds pick 7th next year

    Thompson ranks like 2d overall at this moment, a lefty with good stuff, an SEC pedigree. I don't think he lasts to 7 if he has a good spring.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

  16. #10
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,176

    Re: Reds pick 7th next year

    I cannot believe there were 6 worse teams than the Reds in baseball this year
    Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Ghosts, you gotta lay off the weaponized hallucinogens, my man.

  17. Likes:

    757690 (10-14-2018),REDREAD (10-14-2018),redsmetz (10-15-2018),Spanky (10-17-2018)

  18. #11
    Someday Never Comes mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    22,154

    Re: Reds pick 7th next year

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I cannot believe there were 6 worse teams than the Reds in baseball this year
    Tanking is ruining the game IMO.

    As far as the Reds go, I don't know enough about specific names, but I hope they take an advanced starting pitcher who has a short path to the big leagues. I get why they took Greene, but 2019 would look a lot better had the Reds taken Kyle Wright instead. If there is another Mike Leake out there, I'd be thrilled even if he seems a three or four at best. The Reds need a guy who they can slot into the rotation for 5 or 6 years more than they need somebody to dream on IMO.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

  19. Likes:

    REDREAD (10-15-2018)

  20. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    25,452

    Re: Reds pick 7th next year

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Tanking is ruining the game IMO.

    As far as the Reds go, I don't know enough about specific names, but I hope they take an advanced starting pitcher who has a short path to the big leagues. I get why they took Greene, but 2019 would look a lot better had the Reds taken Kyle Wright instead. If there is another Mike Leake out there, I'd be thrilled even if he seems a three or four at best. The Reds need a guy who they can slot into the rotation for 5 or 6 years more than they need somebody to dream on IMO.
    MLB is thinking very differently today. Changes in the use of pitchers are accelerating. Much is being written about this.

    Drafting a lower impact #3 or #4 starter is against the trend. Teams are more interested in high impact arms. Whether that pitcher becomes a traditional starter is less important today. Relievers are being used more and more, starters are averaging fewer innings (5.4 this year).

    The best approach in the draft is to get the highest value player. If you draft a pitcher expecting he will be a traditional starter, it’s not very likely. Truly elite starters are the exception.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-14-2018 at 12:51 PM.

  21. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    129

    Re: Reds pick 7th next year

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    MLB is thinking very differently today. Changes in the use of pitchers are accelerating. Much is being written about this.

    Drafting a lower impact #3 or #4 starter is against the trend. Teams are more interested in high impact arms. Whether that pitcher becomes a traditional starter is less important today. Relievers are being used more and more, starters are averaging fewer innings (5.4 this year).

    The best approach in the draft is to get the highest value player. If you draft a pitcher expecting he will be a traditional starter, its not very likely. Truly elite starters are the exception.
    Problem is this approach has not worked for the Reds. When all your best arms end up in the bullpen, you see what happens to the starting rotation. Starting pitching is still what wins games. The Reds have proven they can't develop pitchers especially young pitchers. Im all for drafting a close to ready college starter.

  22. Likes:

    NC Reds (10-15-2018),REDREAD (10-15-2018)

  23. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    25,452

    Re: Reds pick 7th next year

    Quote Originally Posted by Senzling Hot View Post
    Problem is this approach has not worked for the Reds. When all your best arms end up in the bullpen, you see what happens to the starting rotation. Starting pitching is still what wins games. The Reds have proven they can't develop pitchers especially young pitchers. Im all for drafting a close to ready college starter.
    If he's an elite starting arm, I agree. But drafting an envisioned MOR starter at #7 -- which was the premise -- is a risk. Even if he's from college and considered near to the big leagues.

    Today, it's very hard to reliably draft consistent six inning starters. You'll wind up with a muti-inning reliever, and I'm not sure that's what you want from a #7 overall draft selection. I go for BPA, highest value guy on the board.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-15-2018 at 11:01 AM.

  24. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    129

    Re: Reds pick 7th next year

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If he's an elite starting arm, I agree. But drafting an envisioned MOR starter at #7 -- which was the premise -- is a risk. Even if he's from college and considered near to the big leagues.

    Today, it's very hard to reliably draft consistent six inning starters. You'll wind up with a muti-inning reliever, and I'm not sure that's what you want from a #7 overall draft selection. I go for BPA, highest value guy on the board.
    Exactly, the draft is no where close to an exact science. When you are projecting 17-21yr olds things always change. The odds of getting a high impact starter even at the top of the draft is highly unlikely. If there is a clear best player, but at this age there are so many factors. Take a prospect who is more polished and may actually help this team as was stated Mike Leake is a perfect example. Get talent that will help at the top of the draft, go for potential toward middle and end. Be creative with the bonus pool money.

  25. Likes:

    REDREAD (10-16-2018)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | JaxRed | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator