Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 43

Thread: Emergency Alert System Text

  1. #1
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    19,378

    Emergency Alert System Text

    Did any of you get a text yesterday at about 2pm from our federal gov't? I did not but I have a dumb phone anyway. I'm curious as to how the gov't got certain phone numbers and not others. Here's more info on it:

    https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...-trust/571861/

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    2,675

    Re: Emergency Alert System Text

    I did. It wasn't a text though, it was the same as when an Amber Alert or something like that comes through.

    I have an iPhone and use Verizon.

  4. Likes:

    Kingspoint (10-10-2018)

  5. #3
    Member 919191's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    the corner bar
    Posts
    3,905

    Re: Emergency Alert System Text

    my wife did and I did not. We both have the same phone.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

  6. #4
    Member JaxRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    12,258

    Re: Emergency Alert System Text

    Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    my wife did and I did not. We both have the same phone.
    So if you're apart, who gets it? /s
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

  7. #5
    Member 919191's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    the corner bar
    Posts
    3,905

    Re: Emergency Alert System Text

    Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    So if you're apart, who gets it? /s
    I guess she carries on.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

  8. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,285

    Re: Emergency Alert System Text

    Just a way for the government to have access to everyone’s phone!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

    William Arthur Ward


  9. #7
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    19,378

    Re: Emergency Alert System Text

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Just a way for the government to have access to everyone’s phone!

    What I want to know is where they got the phone numbers from. Why are some folks on the list and not others?

  10. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    The Mythological Land of Dayton, OH
    Posts
    551

    Re: Emergency Alert System Text

    It's not a deal where they need to know your phone number. It's broadcast universally. And it's absolutely 100% can't-opt-out, which you can imagine has made for some hilarious comedy bits from people who think Donnie just got the ability to spam everybody with his tweets.

    It has to do with the phone and network connection you have.

    Does your phone blast alarm sounds at you periodically for Amber Alerts and Severe Weather Warnings? If so, you should have gotten the emergency alert earlier this week, because that's the protocol they're using. If not? You'll probably need to make an upgrade to your mobile package if you want to receive them.

  11. Likes:

    WrongVerb (10-07-2018)

  12. #9
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    19,378

    Re: Emergency Alert System Text

    Quote Originally Posted by FlightRick View Post
    It's not a deal where they need to know your phone number. It's broadcast universally. And it's absolutely 100% can't-opt-out, which you can imagine has made for some hilarious comedy bits from people who think Donnie just got the ability to spam everybody with his tweets.

    It has to do with the phone and network connection you have.

    Does your phone blast alarm sounds at you periodically for Amber Alerts and Severe Weather Warnings? If so, you should have gotten the emergency alert earlier this week, because that's the protocol they're using. If not? You'll probably need to make an upgrade to your mobile package if you want to receive them.
    Are Amber alerts and severe weather warnings optional? I don't know

  13. #10
    Member BernieCarbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    1,315

    Re: Emergency Alert System Text

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Are Amber alerts and severe weather warnings optional? I don't know
    Yes, you can opt out. But you can't opt out of this new alert.

  14. #11
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    19,378

    Re: Emergency Alert System Text

    Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Yes, you can opt out. But you can't opt out of this new alert.
    I'm not even in. I didn't get it and that's fine with me

  15. #12
    Member BernieCarbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    1,315

    Re: Emergency Alert System Text

    They probably figure it's a good time to purge the ranks of flip-phone users.

  16. #13
    Member Kinsm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1,952

    Re: Emergency Alert System Text

    They should have asked the NSA for everyone's phone numbers.

  17. Likes:

    Hoosier Red (10-09-2018),WrongVerb (10-09-2018)

  18. #14
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    19,378

    Re: Emergency Alert System Text

    Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    They probably figure it's a good time to purge the ranks of flip-phone users.
    Hey, I got a slider not a flip phone...

    The folks that don't want to be tracked may lead to a resurgence of "dumb" phones but the phone carriers may not allow it. If they quit selling dumb phones, folks won't really have a choice.

    In my case I only need a phone for calling and texting. Why would I want to pay for a $500 computer to put in my pocket for that?

  19. #15
    Member BernieCarbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    1,315

    Re: Emergency Alert System Text

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Hey, I got a slider not a flip phone...

    The folks that don't want to be tracked may lead to a resurgence of "dumb" phones but the phone carriers may not allow it. If they quit selling dumb phones, folks won't really have a choice.

    In my case I only need a phone for calling and texting. Why would I want to pay for a $500 computer to put in my pocket for that?
    Your flip phone can be tracked.

    My iPhone 6 cost $149 and I pay $35 a month for my plane, and I can turn off everything that is intrusive with personal data.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator