Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Emergency Alert System Text

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Emergency Alert System Text

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Hey, I got a slider not a flip phone...

The folks that don't want to be tracked may lead to a resurgence of "dumb" phones but the phone carriers may not allow it. If they quit selling dumb phones, folks won't really have a choice.

In my case I only need a phone for calling and texting. Why would I want to pay for a $500 computer to put in my pocket for that?
    Why would I pay $1800 for a car when my horse and buggy works just fine?

2. Likes:

schmidty622 (10-10-2018)

3. Turn Off Ads?

My wife and I went to see Alan Jackson earlier this year. We were in line for a couple of drinks when all of a sudden 40,000 phones started sounding an alarm, it was either during the opening act, or in between the opening act and Mr Jackson's set. In that setting, with all those phones going off at the same time, everyone at first glanced at each other with a WTF, is there a bomb about to go off look on their face before realizing that 40,000 people, all gathered in one space just got an amber alert at the same time.
    Posting in the clutch since twenty ought two.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

There should never ever be such thing as a "Presidential Alert" text message.

Conservatives flipped out when U2 got into their itunes, silence when it comes to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    There should never ever be such thing as a "Presidential Alert" text message.

Conservatives flipped out when U2 got into their itunes, silence when it comes to this.
    I'm all for an alert in the case of a true national emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Your flip phone can be tracked.

My iPhone 6 cost $149 and I pay $35 a month for my plane, and I can turn off everything that is intrusive with personal data.
    We have one iPhone in the family and I too bought it used for about $150. But AT&T also charges us $30/mo for a minimal data plan plus 25/mo for iPhone access. I don't need more of those charges.

If my flip phone can be tracked I'm wondering why I wasn't on this emergency alert thing. In reality I don't think they track dumb phones very often

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Why would I pay $1800 for a car when my horse and buggy works just fine?
    Hey, I don't live in my parent's basement. Don't talk to me about finances. Stick to minor league baseball.

Hey, I don't live in my parent's basement. Don't talk to me about finances. Stick to minor league baseball.
    Someone is having a tough day. Cheer up Sea Ray.

Very few people "need" a smart phone. You are probably one of those few who do but I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Someone is having a tough day. Cheer up Sea Ray.
    Quite the contrary. I'm doing great today. It's my birthday!

http://www.redszone.com/forums/membe...username&ltr=S

I don't know, I heard many liberals complain when U2 showed up in their itunes; I've also heard conservatives complain about this.

conservative, liberal we all complain, just louder about things that "flip our switch"
    Posting in the clutch since twenty ought two.

I hated when that garbage U2 album came preloaded on my phone.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Very few people "need" a smart phone. You are probably one of those few who do but I'm not.
    No one needs a smart phone. Just like no one needs a car. Or a whole lot of other things. Doesn't mean it's not a much better experience to have those things.

A "smart phone" is so much more useful. Do I need to know how to get from point A to point B? Probably. My phone does a whole lot better helping me out doing that than a map. And it saves me a whole bunch of time. Do I need to find out where Store ABC is and if there's one close by? My phone does that a whole lot easier than, well, I'm not even sure what the other option would be than asking a bunch of strangers around me at the time. For those things alone it's worth it. That I can also use it to listen to all of the music I want, all of the podcasts I want, browse the internet while sitting in a waiting room, check out information on things while shopping.... I just don't understand the resistance to a smart phone. I understand if it's simply not affordable. Given your attempted cheap shot, you clearly can afford it, or at least believe you can. So what's the resistance for? The smart phone is literally a phone, a dictionary, an encyclopedia, a GPS system, the white pages, the yellow pages, a computer, a radio, a TV, an MP3 player - all in one. And it fits into your pocket.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

In the month of October, using apps on my cell phone I have:

Followed the playoffs
    Listened to podcasts
    Listened to music
    Streamed all of the above via bluetooth to my car's
    Streamed all of the above via bluetooth to speakers in my house
    Accessed Twitter
    Accessed RedsZone
    Accessed other web sites
    Logged into my bank account
    Paid my rent
    Sent private messages to my wife
    Checked my gmail accounts
    Watched YouTube videos
    Taken pictures
    Downloaded pictures to my laptop
    Added appointments to my calendar
    Woken up to the alarm clock going off
    Played backgammon and chess to pass the time
    Tracked Hurricanes
    Checked on possible wildfires in California
    Gotten a discount at Whole Foods
    Paid for parking
    Tracked purchases from Amazon

And that's not even everything I do with my phone. I have an app that will take any song that's being played on the radio, search for it and almost instantly return the title and artist of that song, which I can then add to my Amazon play lists.
    I have a Kindle app on my tablet which lets me read books.

I can go on and on, but you get the idea. You may not feel you need a smart phone, and that's great. But I wouldn't be so dismissive of them, either.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I hate that I love my smart phone so much. Damn you technology for being so darn....useful!

We have one iPhone in the family and I too bought it used for about $150. But AT&T also charges us $30/mo for a minimal data plan plus 25/mo for iPhone access. I don't need more of those charges.

If my flip phone can be tracked I'm wondering why I wasn't on this emergency alert thing. In reality I don't think they track dumb phones very often

- - - Updated - - -

?

- - - Updated - - -

I have an iphone, I have AT&T, and I pay 32$ and change a month. No "access fee".

You’re confusing a phone being tracked with GPS. I keep my GPS turned off on my smart phone, but your flip phone is being tracked every time it pings a tower. Your phone does the same thing. If you were kidnapped, tossed into a trunk, and dropped off in a landfill in Alabama, they would be able to follow you until your phone went dead. They can get quite precise through triangulation.

You can get a brand new iPhone 6 at Walmart for $149, and enroll through the straight talk plan for a flat fee of $35 with no access fee. I travel around the world and the country and I never have a problem with it.

The main problem with smart phones is that people don’t know how to use them. When you install an app, do not give it access to the GPS or your contacts. Only grant access to the things that absolutely needs. For instance, my guitar tuner app only needs access to the microphone and nothing else. If you use the phone for something like speedway or Kroger, don’t be one of those people that gives your real name or real phone number or real date of birth, and you’ll be fine.

I can’t even measure the number of hours I’ve saved over the last year with my smart phone. I drove up to Chicago yesterday, and in five minutes I booked a room through my Hilton Honors app, rented a car through enterprise, and checked the traffic for the best route on Google maps. Three years ago, I would’ve had to boot up my laptop at home to do that. My mom and dad are in their late 80s, and even they enjoy the iPhone 6 I gave them. Dad uses it to stream music through his stereo system with it. He loves it.

Turn Off Ads?