Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021

Thread: “We’ll have the highest payroll we’ve ever had (next year)”

Re: “We’ll have the highest payroll we’ve ever had (next year)”

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I believe Kemp's trade value is negligible unless the Reds pay most of his salary. At that point, why not keep him?

Kemp went .273/ .320/ .508/ .828 vs. LH last season in nearly 200 ABs. For his career, he's a .314/ .373/ .538/ .911 lefty killer.

Winker went .183/ .302/ .293/ .595 against southpaws in just under 100 ABs. And, while the split wasn't as egregious in the minors, he still has a pretty large one-- well over 100 OPS points between LH and RH over the past three years.

Who could replace those ABs with similar production? Puig's going to be playing full time somewhere else. Schebler might (especially if you factor defense). So might Winker if he develops. Ervin doesn't seem to be the answer. Senzel may-- but if he's in the OF, it's probably in CF.

If Williams can get a solid return on Kemp, fine. Great. However, I suspect Kemp's similarly viewed as most expensive, limited guys. Right now, teams tend to not value that production very much, especially when compared to the cost.

BTW, there's very little wrong with a LF position that could possibly OPS 900+. Career numbers suggest that's possible.
    The very hitting numbers you list undercut the conclusion that his trade value is negligible.

Isn’t Kemp worth $5 million to an AL team as a DH? I’d argue more, but let’s be conservative. Today’s market, $5 million for a consistent veteran hitter, not a lot of money.

If the Reds can save $5 million of Kemp’s contract they will trade him, I have no doubt. Just a salary dump, however it’s structured.

The $5 million savings goes to a Reds area of need. LF is not an area of need.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-13-2019 at 07:05 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Isn’t Kemp worth $5 million to an AL team as a DH?
    Who?

Tampa's the only team I know of who needs a DH.

Are they likely to spend that much coin on the short side of a DH platoon?

The Indians may have some interest in Kemp if he's cheap.

Who?

Tampa only has 50 million payroll at this time so they have money to spend. But They are looking at trading for EE from Seattle.

Who?

The Tigers lost Martinez and the Twins lost Mauer. They might have replacements in mind, I don't know, but those guys were doing nothing for them with the bat.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    The Tigers lost Martinez and the Twins lost Mauer. They might have replacements in mind, I don't know, but those guys were doing nothing for them with the bat.
    Twins signed Nelson Cruz.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar

I've pegged the Astros and Rays as DH needy teams. Cleveland needs corner outfielders, plus they can't be seriously thinking about Jake Bauers as a solution at first base on a team making a serious playoff run. Santana makes more sense which opens up their DH as well. I've also posited a Kemp+Sims for Cobb deal as a way for the Orioles to shed payroll.

There are options.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. -- Mahatma Gandhi

9. Likes:

OhioRiverBarge (01-13-2019),Revering4Blue (01-13-2019)

I would like the Reds to add 2-3 quality relievers, including a lefty, which should cost around $10M next season, and then move Garrett and Lorenzen to the rotation mix. That seems like the smartest use of the remaining payflex.

Worst case scenario, the Reds will have a very solid pen for next year. Best case, they added two decent starters to the rotation, all for just $10M.
    “We’re going to get the pitching.” -Bob Castellini

Who?

I don’t know the AL rosters that thoroughly. But for $5 million I’d think almost any AL contender would want Kemp. If he’s not the full time DH, he’s a reliable bench bat who would look mighty good in clutch situations, against lefties, and eventually in key hitting spots down the stretch.

One could argue he’ll be more marketable at the trade deadline when teams are gearing up for the playoffs.

But this guy was an all star last year, all Reds would want in return is limited dollars, no major prospects, I don’t think it’s that hard a deal to make before ST or before OD.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-14-2019 at 09:27 AM.

12. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-14-2019)

If we ship out Kemp and agree to take on most of his salary, what type of player would we get in return? A top level prospect, second tier type guy, or a major league ready guy?

Quote Originally Posted by reds77 View Post
    If we ship out Kemp and agree to take on most of his salary, what type of player would we get in return? A top level prospect, second tier type guy, or a major league ready guy?
    A lottery ticket, unheralded prospect or two. Nothing too much.

The idea of the trade is to add some money to throw at free agents at needed positions. The money, the salary savings, is the primary trade return.

Reds are apparently at about $20 million available to spend right now. Get that up to $25 million - if possible - and go shopping to fill needs. Use it for SP, CF, RP, and/or depth at needed positions.

Or use Kemp in a player trade and get $5 million worth of player value for him in the deal.

Again, I’m using $5 million just as a round number, my guess it’s more, some think a bit less.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-14-2019 at 10:48 AM.

15. Likes:

reds77 (01-14-2019)

I think there would be worse things than having Kemp on the roster for the Reds this year. Hell, at the all star break last year he would've had the best numbers of anyone on the team (and his power numbers probably would've been better hitting in GABP over LA). He probably would've been hitting cleanup. He's a year younger than Votto and is playing for one last contract.

Not saying I wouldn't move him. Just that it seems like some here act like he is a burden.

17. Likes:

DocRed (01-14-2019),Griffey012 (01-14-2019),marcshoe (01-14-2019),Old school 1983 (01-14-2019),Tom Servo (01-14-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    I think there would be worse things than having Kemp on the roster for the Reds this year. Hell, at the all star break last year he would've had the best numbers of anyone on the team (and his power numbers probably would've been better hitting in GABP over LA). He probably would've been hitting cleanup. He's a year younger than Votto and is playing for one last contract.

Not saying I wouldn't move him. Just that it seems like some here act like he is a burden.
    He's not a burden (the money is sunk) at this point as far as on-field goes...but from 2015-2017 he was wRC+ wise a touch above average hitter. 2018 he was a very good hitter. I'm inclined to say that history and age says he will be around average this year...but if 2018 Kemp shows up he will be a welcome addition to the club. wRC+ does consider park so I don't know that we will see as much of a GABP bump as hoped.

Turn Off Ads?