Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2019 nominees are ...

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2019 nominees are ...

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I'm disappointed that Devo and Kraftwerk didn't get in, but then, it looks like they're doing this year's ceremony in New York. If they get in, I'd rather they get in in a year when they do the ceremony in Cleveland so that I might get a chance to see them live.
    I'm truly shocked Kraftwerk isn't in. I consider them one of the top 3 influential acts of all time (Beatles, VU). There's basically no 80s pop song that can't trace its roots to Kraftwerk.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I too have a deep hatred of Def Leppard only I have no desire to find out why, I just assume it’s because their music is bland and forgettable.
    The bit where their lead singer throws up in the middle of the song bothers me, too.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

The Cure is in, so it's fine.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

5. Likes:

Chip R (12-13-2018),M2 (12-14-2018),marcshoe (12-13-2018)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

The 1% chance that Radiohead shows up to play the ceremony next April or whatever and me subsequently heading up to Cleveland for it is the only time I will allow myself to care about this silly HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    The 1% chance that Radiohead shows up to play the ceremony next April or whatever and me subsequently heading up to Cleveland for it is the only time I will allow myself to care about this silly HOF
    Except this year it's at the Barclay's Center in NYC.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's your current list of Rock Hall Snubs. A lot of good bands and musicians on there, all better than Def Leppard.

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainm...es_50_mos.html
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I'm truly shocked Kraftwerk isn't in. I consider them one of the top 3 influential acts of all time (Beatles, VU). There's basically no 80s pop song that can't trace its roots to Kraftwerk.
    In spite of that, they should be in the Hall.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

I know it's a longshot, but I'm hoping Roxy Music's inclusion opens the door for Split Enz, another pioneering (and initially weird) band who had most of their success outside of the US and who had connection to RM, opening for them and being produced early on by Phil Manzanera. The Enz have also been cited as an influence by Pearl Jam, Radiohead, and others.

Now that ELO has been in a couple of years, maybe I'll start obnoxiously pushing Split Enz.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    One day I'm going to undergo hypnosis and find the root of my hatred for Def Leppard.
    It is a Hall of Fame. Regardless of how any of us felt about hair metal, it ran wild for close to a decade. Def Leppard spent a long time criss-crossing the globe, playing stadiums.

I'm guessing the root cause of your enmity is they were vapid and women seemed to love them because of it (not in spite of it). They also were a seed of death for AOR radio, which felt compelled to play them, pushing much of its listenership into the cul-de-sac of classic rock.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

There are rewards beyond hall membership. While her bandmate Joan Jett has a plague, Runaways bassist Jackie Fuchs (Fox) is the reigning Jeopardy champion, having won the last three games.

Last edited by marcshoe; 12-18-2018 at 09:07 PM.

12. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-19-2018),Dom Heffner (12-18-2018),M2 (12-19-2018),Yachtzee (12-19-2018)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    It's a hall of fame, not of influence.

There isnt a person alive who doesnt know who Def Leppard is.

Kraftwerk? I mean that is a small slice of pie right there.

Edit: didnt see M2's response. Sorry to pile on.

14. Likes:

texasdave (12-19-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Do you mean like people over the age of 40?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

16. Likes:

Dom Heffner (12-18-2018)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Do you mean like people over the age of 40?
    Def Leppard or Kraftwerk...it's not even a conversation.

The influence argument, Ive never got. Mostly what influence means is that a guy like Kurt Cobain liked The Melvins, amd becuase he hit it big, people say "without the Melvins.."

And I just dont buy that.

As a side question- how the heck are The Doobie Brothers not in?

18. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-30-2018),texasdave (12-19-2018)

Def Leppard or Kraftwerk...it's not even a conversation.

The influence argument, Ive never got. Mostly what influence means is that a guy like Kurt Cobain liked The Melvins, amd becuase he hit it big, people say "without the Melvins.."

And I just dont buy that.

As a side question- how the heck are The Doobie Brothers not in?
    I agree about Kraftwerk, I’m just giving you a hard time.

Agreed about the Doobie Bros.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

20. Likes:

Dom Heffner (12-19-2018),marcshoe (12-18-2018)

It's a hall of fame, not of influence.

Everyone knows who the Monkees are too. Doesn't mean they should be in. Yet there seems to be an actual push to get the Monkees nominated, that they've been snubbed. Yeah, I go with snubbed, and for sound reason. As far as I'm concerned, the day they make the HOF is the day it lost all relevancy for me (LOL).

JMO .... and I don't mean to malign any of the nominees, or any others that may have gotten in that some may deem questionable, even laughable, because each has their respective fans and I respect that.

But when it comes to a Hall of Fame (any venue) they seem to have lost their way, and even the luster, as to what it really means to be classified "hall of fame". What does that stand for? It was a badge of honor, something special that separated you from the rest of the class. Just my subjective opinion, but that means you were elite, you stood out and above your peers, the best of the best. To be hall of fame meant you were part of a unique and selective group. And the criteria to be part of the select class was tight. Just doesn't seem that way anymore. It seem more about inclusion.

The Zombies? I'm old enough to remember them (LOL). Had a couple good hits, but that's about it. They get in, yet, as been mentioned, not the Doobie Brothers?

Kraftwerk? I mean that is a small slice of pie right there.
    I dated a girl back in the 70s that was really into them. All she talked about was how this band were ground-breakers, innovators, with their unique electronic music. And because this girl was really hot I gave their music a try (LOL). OK. I get it. They had/have their audience. I don't think they're HOF worthy.

But getting back to the Doobie Brothers ....

They were one of my main bands back in the glorious 70s. I still listen to Toulouse Street, The Captain and Me, and What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits. I preferred Johnston's vocals over McDonalds. But still, this was a band of dominant force in the 70s. Their sound was unique. And they sold 40M records too.

When I look at so many of these nominees over the years that get in, I can't understand why the Doobie Brothers aren't in there? Maybe because they didn't overwhelm, weren't 70s flashy (Bowie, Elton, Queen, etc)? LOL
    Last edited by GAC; 12-19-2018 at 04:43 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    One day I'm going to undergo hypnosis and find the root of my hatred for Def Leppard.
    I don't hate them. They had some good songs. But I don't see where they're HOF worthy.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?