Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 69 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Thread: College Basketball 2018-2019

Re: College Basketball 2018-2019

Last edited by Assembly Hall; 12-31-2018 at 01:16 PM.
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    That's a really good article which highlights the chief factors -- mainly, lack of $$$ investment -- holding back the program. There are also reports that the players "hated" Alford and that he had lost the team / players were tuning him out --- the latter apparent to me as I watched the second half of the home loss to Liberty.

As for the next Bruins coach (not the interim coach), given the same AD who fired both Lavin and Howland (though credit must be given for hiring Howland in the first place) and hiring Alford, who was a reach to begin with, must 1)Satisfy an impatient fanbase with a quick fix -- this isn't a matter of rebuilding a program from the ground up. 2)Engineer a "Home Run" hire; the most realistic, attainable choice to satisfy both requirements (if he'll accept) is..................

Gregg Marshall

Let's face it, though it doesn't hurt to ask, Billy Donovan is more than likely an NBA lifer at this point and why would Jay Wright leave Villanova for UCLA, UK or any other school? While it's true that Marshall rejected overtures from UCLA back in '13, he never rejected a formal job offer (I was mistaken previously), just simply declined to interview as his team was in the midst of the great '13 tourney run. I'm not so sure that he'd turn them down now. If that weren't enough, he's clearly a better option than other names who have been bantered around: Jamie Dixon, Fred Hoiberg, Earl Watson and yes, Eric Musselman (at this point, anyway).
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1)Morning people
    2)Normal people

I think both Hoiberg and Watson would be exceptional hires for UCLA. They could both pull out their NBA cred pretty easily. Another wildcard could be Jason Kidd.

The best hire, IMO, would be Earl Grant, an up-and-comer from the College of Charleston.

They played Auburn tight in the NCAA Tournament last season and have beaten Memphis this year on their way to a 12-2 record.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I think both Hoiberg and Watson would be exceptional hires for UCLA. They could both pull out their NBA cred pretty easily. Another wildcard could be Jason Kidd.

The best hire, IMO, would be Earl Grant, an up-and-comer from the College of Charleston.

They played Auburn tight in the NCAA Tournament last season and have beaten Memphis this year on their way to a 12-2 record.
    Meh, if am them, which I ain't, I am on the phone with Chris Collins. There is the NBA cred and "blue blood" cred rolled into one.

6. Likes:

dubc47834 (01-01-2019)

Meh, if am them, which I ain't, I am on the phone with Chris Collins. There is the NBA cred and "blue blood" cred rolled into one.
    Gary Parrish
    ‏Verified account @GaryParrishCBS

I’m not saying UCLA didn’t need to make a change. But it’s still interesting that this is a complete list of men with at least three Sweet 16s in the past five years.

Steve Alford
    John Beilein
    John Calipari
    Mark Few
    Bob Huggins
    Mike Krzyzewski
    Sean Miller
    Bill Self
    Roy Williams

Jon Rothstein
    ‏Verified account @JonRothstein

Will a high-major head coach in a good situation leave for UCLA? Two of the last three coaches (Lavin, Alford) were fired after multiple Sweet 16's. The other (Howland) was fired after three Final Fours and an outright Pac-12 title in his LAST season.

Stay right where you are, Chris.
    1)Morning people
    2)Normal people

8. Likes:

Assembly Hall (12-31-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post

The "knock" on Hoiberg is that he doesn't particularly enjoy the recruiting aspect of college coaching. But recruiting in Westwood is an entirely different animal (much easier sell, obviously) than recruiting in Ames.

The "knock" on Watson (according to some UCLA faithful) is the following argument: We've already tried the former UCLA star that's never previously coached in college and it's failed spectacularly. While that's true in two cases -- Larry Farmer and Walt Hazzard (God love him, great player but sub-par coach) -- Gary Cunningham sports the highest winning percentage of any UCLA coach, even though it was only for two seasons. He then left on his own accord and wasn't forced out or under pressure; he was beloved there, at least as I recall. Watson, of course, has HCed in the NBA. Never thought of Kidd, but wouldn't it be something if he somehow wound up as the Cal Bears HC? Granted, it's early in his tenure, but the Wyking Jones experiment doesn't seem to be working out. We shall see...

Love the Grant out-of-the-box thinking if you're thinking long-term, though that likely won't sit well with Bruins fans. IMHO, he's got up-and-comer Mid-Major coaching stud written all over him. The next Gregg Marshall. Chris Holtmann,Archie Miller? It also doesn't hurt that Grant is a disciple of both Marshall and Brad Brownell -- a terribly underrated coach, IMHO, in his own right. If not UCLA, how about Grant at Maryland with their available resources, located within a prime recruiting base? IMHO, Turgeon has gotten the bare minimum from the job, and needs at least a Sweet 16 run to keep his job, but I could be wrong. In the B1G alone, in addition to Maryland, the respective coaches of Nebraska, Penn State and Minnesota reportedly need to reach the Big Dance to retain their jobs.

Should be interesting. I'll be sure to grab enough popcorn for all of us.
    1)Morning people
    2)Normal people

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    The "knock" on Hoiberg is that he doesn't particularly enjoy the recruiting aspect of college coaching. But recruiting in Westwood is an entirely different animal (much easier sell, obviously) than recruiting in Ames.

The "knock" on Watson (according to some UCLA faithful) is the following argument: We've already tried the former UCLA star that's never previously coached in college and it's failed spectacularly. While that's true in two cases -- Larry Farmer and Walt Hazzard (God love him, great player but sub-par coach) -- Gary Cunningham sports the highest winning percentage of any UCLA coach, even though it was only for two seasons. He then left on his own accord and wasn't forced out or under pressure; he was beloved there, at least as I recall. Watson, of course, has HCed in the NBA. Never thought of Kidd, but wouldn't it be something if he somehow wound up as the Cal Bears HC? Granted, it's early in his tenure, but the Wyking Jones experiment doesn't seem to be working out. We shall see...

Love the Grant out-of-the-box thinking if you're thinking long-term, though that likely won't sit well with Bruins fans. IMHO, he's got up-and-comer Mid-Major coaching stud written all over him. The next Gregg Marshall. Chris Holtmann,Archie Miller? It also doesn't hurt that Grant is a disciple of both Marshall and Brad Brownell -- a terribly underrated coach, IMHO, in his own right. If not UCLA, how about Grant at Maryland with their available resources, located within a prime recruiting base? IMHO, Turgeon has gotten the bare minimum from the job, and needs at least a Sweet 16 run to keep his job, but I could be wrong. In the B1G alone, in addition to Maryland, the respective coaches of Nebraska, Penn State and Minnesota reportedly need to reach the Big Dance to retain their jobs.

Should be interesting. I'll be sure to grab enough popcorn for all of us.
    Brad Brownell. Now there is an interesting one. I know him. My friend's son played for him at Wright St. Brad is a native Hoosier but his wife likes warmer climates. He seems to be doing fine at Clemson.

BTW....Murray Bartow was named UCLA's interim coach.

I’m sure Gene would be amused at Murry being UCLA’s head coach if he was still around.

12. Likes:

Chip R (01-04-2019),cumberlandreds (12-31-2018),Revering4Blue (01-01-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I’m sure Gene would be amused at Murry being UCLA’s head coach if he was still around.
    Well, he was already on UCLA's staff and probably the only one with HC experience. And of coarse he was an assistant at IU when Alford was playing.

Brad Brownell. Now there is an interesting one. I know him. My friend's son played for him at Wright St. Brad is a native Hoosier but his wife likes warmer climates. He seems to be doing fine at Clemson.

BTW....Murray Bartow was named UCLA's interim coach.
    From last year's March Madness thread.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Brad Brownell is an example of a school being patient with a head coach and it paying off. It helps that he’s a decent human being as well.
    1)Morning people
    2)Normal people

Did Bill Plaschke hit the nail on the head, or what?

UCLA has difficult task of convincing great coach to take over its not-so-great coaching gig

https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp...231-story.html
    1)Morning people
    2)Normal people

16. Likes:

Assembly Hall (01-01-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Did Bill Plaschke hit the nail on the head, or what?

UCLA has difficult task of convincing great coach to take over its not-so-great coaching gig

https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp...231-story.html
    Good read Rev and I copied it and yes, he hit the nail on the head.

As a website owner I am always surfing. And most of my waves come from sports. With that being said, once I knew of some storm brewing at Westwood I started monitoring the UCLA sites for info. Some fine writers out that way, but something struck me very odd. Fan response. It was not there. Hardly any forums had any activity at all from posters. Hell, you would see more activity on a Purdue forum. So I guess what I am saying, is do they really care out there anymore? Did they ever? I dunno. But it just seems that they dont have the rabid fans that UK, Duke, and Kansas has. Nor does it appear they have the kind of fans that support UNC, IU, or Louisville. Hell, the UC and X fans here appear to be more rabid than the Bruin "fan". Something is wrong out there and has been for awhile. Don't know the answers to it nor do I care. Although I like talking about it, I am perfectly happy with their degree of suckiness.

The more I think about it, they have completely lost their prestige. That ain't the UCLA I grew up with.

18. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-01-2019)

Dick Vitale has officially lost it:

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

^^^^^

OMG!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Dick Vitale has officially lost it:

Dan Dakich tweeted essentially the same thing. Must be an ESPN thing. Then again, Vitale has been maintaining that Pitino is innocent from the get-go. Dakich? Likely fodder to produce callers/publicity for his radio show. What else is new?
    1)Morning people
    2)Normal people

Turn Off Ads?