Turn Off Ads?
Page 66 of 69 FirstFirst ... 16566263646566676869 LastLast

Thread: College Basketball 2018-2019

Re: College Basketball 2018-2019

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Unlike the timing of the IU, OSU, Louisville, and UCLA (They wanted a coach in place by mid-April - before the end of the first round of the NBA playoffs) openings, the timing for Donovan to return to College coaching (if he so wishes to, which is questionable) seems to now actually make sense.

And how many top 10 jobs -- make no mistake about it, there are not 10 NCAA hoops gigs better than Michigan -- are opening anytime soon?

I'm not stating that Donovan to Michigan WILL happen, but I wouldn't be surprised. If not, Donovan's an NBA lifer.
    Heís in the last year of his contract with OKC and some fans there are wanting to move on. He could use Michigan as leverage for job security and an extension from Sam Presti.

Someone I could see Michigan making a play for that makes better long term sense than Donovan: Mike White.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Likes:

Assembly Hall (05-15-2019),Revering4Blue (05-14-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    And they ended up with a much better coach even after Beilein left.

I think Donovan should have jumped at Indiana when Crean got canned. Michigan would essentially be Florida North in the Big Ten so I could see it happen. I think recruiting is going to be the deciding factor. Granted, he isn’t going up against Calipari for recruits if he goes to Michigan.
    There's no doubt that Donovan could have been dominant at IU.....in time. As we've discussed in the IU thread, the poor condition/state in which Crean left the program for CAM has come to light. Granted, it was nothing like the mess that Crean inherited -- that's a straw-man argument -- but it was poor nonetheless.

With Michigan, Donovan would be walking into a program in infinitely better shape than he would have walked into at IU. Couple that with better timing as opposed to when Crean exited Indiana....
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 05-14-2019 at 08:42 PM.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1)Morning people
    2)Normal people

5. Likes:

Assembly Hall (05-15-2019)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

He’s in the last year of his contract with OKC and some fans there are wanting to move on. He could use Michigan as leverage for job security and an extension from Sam Presti.

Someone I could see Michigan making a play for that makes better long term sense than Donovan: Mike White.
    I'm a big Gator fan/alum. Hoops supporter. I have no idea why Michigan or pundits covering this story think White is an option.

He's paid well here, and he's not under a tremendous amount of pressure.

He's able to recruit at high levels.

UF has achieved more success, especially in the last 20-30 years.

Florida is the #1 program in its own state - Michigan is most definitely not.
    I'm just going to go find a cash machine.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    I'm a big Gator fan/alum. Hoops supporter. I have no idea why Michigan or pundits covering this story think White is an option.

He's paid well here, and he's not under a tremendous amount of pressure.

He's able to recruit at high levels.

UF has achieved more success, especially in the last 20-30 years.

Florida is the #1 program in its own state - Michigan is most definitely not.
    There would be some that would say that Michigan is. But I think that "experts" reach for straws when something likes this comes about. But Michigan is a better gig than Florida.
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    There would be some that would say that Michigan is. But I think that "experts" reach for straws when something likes this comes about. But Michigan is a better gig than Florida.
    I'm too big of a fan to not argue this point until my keyboard bleeds. It might have been 30 years ago. But not anymore.

Florida takes basketball seriously. Just completed a multi-million dollar renovation of our home arena last year, and it's gorgeous. Lots of talent in the SE. I know Michigan is also a big job and in the interest of keeping this from devolving into some petty argument, I know many people think Michigan would be considered a better job. But there aren't many compelling reasons for a guy like White to leave UF to coach there. He's from Mississippi, played his college ball at Ole Miss and turned down their opening last year. He is paid very well here and will be due for another raise soon. His agent may leverage this opening into another one, for all I know. I just don't see him really giving it any serious consideration, even if Michigan makes overtures.

Funny thing is, other than being offended that some other school took our guy, I wouldn't be devastated if White left. I like him, but I don't love the guy as an x's and o's coach. He cannot coach half court offense. Defensively, the guy's a wizard.

9. Likes:

Assembly Hall (05-15-2019),Revering4Blue (05-15-2019),Rojo Rijo (05-16-2019)

I'm too big of a fan to not argue this point until my keyboard bleeds. It might have been 30 years ago. But not anymore.

Florida takes basketball seriously. Just completed a multi-million dollar renovation of our home arena last year, and it's gorgeous. Lots of talent in the SE. I know Michigan is also a big job and in the interest of keeping this from devolving into some petty argument, I know many people think Michigan would be considered a better job. But there aren't many compelling reasons for a guy like White to leave UF to coach there. He's from Mississippi, played his college ball at Ole Miss and turned down their opening last year. He is paid very well here and will be due for another raise soon. His agent may leverage this opening into another one, for all I know. I just don't see him really giving it any serious consideration, even if Michigan makes overtures.

Funny thing is, other than being offended that some other school took our guy, I wouldn't be devastated if White left. I like him, but I don't love the guy as an x's and o's coach. He cannot coach half court offense. Defensively, the guy's a wizard.
    If I was White I would stay put as well.

11. Likes:

Revering4Blue (05-15-2019),TheBigLebowski (05-15-2019)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Both jobs are about even resource-wise, but I'd give Florida the edge (for now) when it comes to proximity of talent.

Even though the collective caliber of coaching in the SEC seemingly seems to improve with each passing year, thereby improving the ceilings for the respective programs, a Michigan coach is going to have to tougher row to hoe annually -- in addition to Michigan State, you have to figure that IU, OSU and Maryland (Three top-flight gigs that are down in relation to where they theoretically should be given inherent advantages) will bounce back. So why leave if you're White?

Michigan making a run at White seems likely; landing him is another story altogether (not that you or WV Red, for that matter were suggesting otherwise - at least that's what I gleaned from your posts).
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 05-15-2019 at 11:49 AM.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1)Morning people
    2)Normal people

13. Likes:

Assembly Hall (05-15-2019),TheBigLebowski (05-15-2019)

And as a Florida fan, this potentially stinks in more than one way. Dedicated fans of the sport might note that the #1 candidate for the job holds just a slight affiliation with our program. Most fans want to name the arena after him. Many others (this guy included) cannot stomach the idea of watching him roam some other program's court.

Eventually it'll probably happen, but I hope he stays in the NBA.Unless, of course, Michigan somehow does hire White, leaving UF with an opening....

15. Likes:

Assembly Hall (05-15-2019),Revering4Blue (05-15-2019),Rojo Rijo (05-16-2019)

As a big UF guy and bball fan Michigan doesn't even move the needle for me as far as being afraid of losing White. Duke is the program that scares me in the near future.

As much as I will always love Billy D I'm trying to think of any college coach who left a program at which they were very successful and later returned to that program. It's just not something you see very often. I think its risky to their legacy at that program and there is a been-there-done-that essence to it. If Donovan were to return to the college ranks I have no clue where it would be. He was very annoyed and worn down by how cut throat and scandalous recruiting high ranking players was and he's always been somewhere that has allowed him to work for someone he is very fond of (Jeremy Foley & Sam Presti). I know there is a lot of talk of Donovan to Michigan but the only thing driving Donovan back to the NCAA is OKC not doing great in the playoffs. By all accounts he's happy, OKC has made the playoffs all four years he's been there, and he's got two of the games premiere stars with the future dominance of the NBA looking to finally witch from the West to the East.

Long story short, losing White isn't more than a wild possibility unless K retires and Donovan isn't leaving OKC anytime soon.
    Last edited by Rojo Rijo; 05-16-2019 at 06:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    As a big UF guy and bball fan Michigan doesn't even move the needle for me as far as being afraid of losing White. Duke is the program that scares me in the near future.

As much as I will always love Billy D I'm trying to think of any college coach who left a program at which they were very successful and later returned to that program. It's just not something you see very often. I think its risky to their legacy at that program and there is a been-there-done-that essence to it. If Donovan were to return to the college ranks I have no clue where it would be. He was very annoyed and worn down by how cut throat and scandalous recruiting high ranking players was and he's always been somewhere that has allowed him to work for someone he is very fond of (Jeremy Foley & Sam Presti). I know there is a lot of talk of Donovan to Michigan but the only thing driving Donovan back to the NCAA is OKC not doing great in the playoffs. By all accounts he's happy, OKC has made the playoffs all four years he's been there, and he's got two of the games premiere stars with the future dominance of the NBA looking to finally witch from the West to the East.

Long story short, losing White isn't more than a wild possibility unless K retires and Donovan isn't leaving OKC anytime soon.
    If White's Dad is still the AD at Duke, no way he hires his son. Terrible optics. And the Duke job, whenever it becomes open, will be one that everyone wants. Unless Mike really starts winning big at UF, he's not getting that offer regardless of the AD there.

I'm thinking the Michigan hire will be one of the following, likely in order of probability:

Juwan Howard
    Porter Moser (Loyola-Chicago)
    LaVall Jordan (Butler)
    Luke Yaklich (Mich assistant)

If White's Dad is still the AD at Duke, no way he hires his son. Terrible optics. And the Duke job, whenever it becomes open, will be one that everyone wants. Unless Mike really starts winning big at UF, he's not getting that offer regardless of the AD there.

I'm thinking the Michigan hire will be one of the following, likely in order of probability:

Juwan Howard
    Porter Moser (Loyola-Chicago)
    LaVall Jordan (Butler)
    Luke Yaklich (Mich assistant)
    Beat me to it. Nepotism at its finest and I would imagine Coach K is going to have a major say in his successor.

I actually think it will be the opposite though. I think Duke keeps it in the family although Coach K has yet to have an assistant with any major success. Duke could very well go through a period of irrelevance that UNC went through when Dean Smith retired.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

19. Likes:

Revering4Blue (05-16-2019),TheBigLebowski (05-16-2019)

Beat me to it. Nepotism at its finest and I would imagine Coach K is going to have a major say in his successor.

I actually think it will be the opposite though. I think Duke keeps it in the family although Coach K has yet to have an assistant with any major success. Duke could very well go through a period of irrelevance that UNC went through when Dean Smith retired.
    UNC sure had a bad run with their "keep it in the family" effort. Although I liked Coach Gut.

UNC sure had a bad run with their "keep it in the family" effort. Although I liked Coach Gut.
    It was mostly Matt Doherty, who was in over his head. And Guthridge made two final fours in three years.

You have the following to look at if Duke keeps it in the family:

Johnny Dawkins
    Tommy Amaker
    Wojo
    Chris Collins
    Jeff Capel
    Bobby Hurley

Not too appealing.

It was mostly Matt Doherty, who was in over his head. And Guthridge made two final fours in three years.

You have the following to look at if Duke keeps it in the family:

Johnny Dawkins
    Tommy Amaker
    Wojo
    Chris Collins
    Jeff Capel
    Bobby Hurley

Not too appealing.
    Looks like an impressive list to me.

23. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (05-16-2019)

College Basketball 2018-2019

Looks like an impressive list to me.
    Forgot Mike Brey.

Hardly any big names though. How many Final Four appearances as coaches? Not to mention Capel and his shady recruiting past.

Turn Off Ads?