Turn Off Ads?
Page 27 of 70 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018-19 MLB Offseason News and Discussion

Re: 2018-19 MLB Offseason News and Discussion

The plot thickens as the list thins.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I'm convinced that Reds ownership is driven by their view that the typical Reds fan will not be satisfied with anything less than the modern version of The Big Red Machine. And honestly, I think there's some truth to that for the generation that rooted for them.

That being said, if that is the case, then both fans and executives need to get with the program that is modern baseball.

Damn this is frustrating. I said 3 years ago that the Reds weren't serious about winning a WS. And I've seen nothing in the time since that has convinced me otherwise.
    I'm not so sure that's true. While us older Reds fans revere the BRM, I think we realize that was something that can't be replicated - especially in the current era. That's not to say a lot of older fans can't get stuck on the BRM and the front office panders to that but there's going to come a time where you won't be able to trot them out for every milestone. Speaking for myself, I'd be happy with a team like the one we had at the beginning of this decade. But I don't want 3-4 years of glory and then 8-10 years of futility.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Rodriguez for Iglesias makes almost too much sense for it to actually happen.

5. Likes:

M2 (12-06-2018)

Eovaldi re-signs with Boston.

Reds continue to monitor the market, I am certain.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Eovaldi re-signs with Boston.

Reds continue to monitor the market, I am certain.
    Lol we going to do this every time someone signs? They were never going to get Eovaldi.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I actually would’ve jumped on that contract for Eovaldi. That’s probably going to be the best deal on any of the pitchers that end up signing this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Rodriguez for Iglesias makes almost too much sense for it to actually happen.
    Good then, so it won't happen. I mean, if one thinks Iggy is about to slide, then I'm ok with it. But otherwise, not sure why it makes so much sense for the Reds.

Clearly I'd like the starting pitching, but the Reds have many assets to trade.

Iggy will be used in multi-inning relief next year, probably throw 80-90 (hopefully) good innings. Why trade that particular player? It does count as pitching albeit not starting. The Reds could use that 80-90 good innings along with better starting pitching.

Again, if you think Iggy is sliding, which may be so, then I get it. Otherwise I don't see that it makes so much sense, Reds have other assets to trade.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-06-2018 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Lol we going to do this every time someone signs? They were never going to get Eovaldi.
    Okey-dokey.

And, yes.

(they could have gotten him if they had actually spent money and tried to get him)

Reds have other assets to trade, but does anybody want them? A cost-controlled closer is a great chip to possess, and from my view the Reds have a stock of potential late-inning relievers (Mella, Herget, etc) and exactly 2 reliable starters.

I’m not dying to move Iglesias but teams close to the luxury tax may be inclined to add Iglesias via trade than spend big on a Kimbrel-type. Win/win.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Okey-dokey.

And, yes.

(they could have gotten him if they had actually spent money and tried to get him)
    So, they would have had to pay him more than he took with the Red Sox most likely, as they are defending WS champs, he was on the team last year, and Boston is a way better place to live than Cincinnati, OH. You don’t know the Reds weren’t in discussions with him. Maybe they weren’t. Maybe they called him and he said “no, not interested. Thanks for calling, though.”

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I actually would’ve jumped on that contract for Eovaldi. That’s probably going to be the best deal on any of the pitchers that end up signing this offseason.
    17 million a year for a good post season and one season. No thank you. People fall in love to easy and forget about the past. Keuchel is the guy, and the guy I believe is there target.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

So, they would have had to pay him more than he took with the Red Sox most likely, as they are defending WS champs, he was on the team last year, and Boston is a way better place to live than Cincinnati, OH. You don’t know the Reds weren’t in discussions with him. Maybe they weren’t. Maybe they called him and he said “no, not interested. Thanks for calling, though.”
    Wow. This internet post sucks in all kinds of ways.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

15. Likes:

membengal (12-06-2018),Sea Ray (12-07-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Wow. This internet post sucks in all kinds of ways.
    And somehow this one is worse.

Honestly, I’m sorry, but every time a FA or trade goes down unrelated to the Reds we really have to say “the reds suck!?”

It’s silly. It’s unrealistic to think they can or will be in on every FA or trade.

I’m skeptical anything gets done this year, and I am approaching simply not caring about the team anymore, but I just think it’s silly. Have the reds been connected to Eovaldi even once?
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 12-06-2018 at 10:40 AM.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

And somehow this one is worse.
    Touche. Swap the t with a d.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Touche. Swap the t with a d.
    Lol, I don’t even know what you are upset about. The comment about Boston being a better place to live than Cincinnati for a multi-millionaire young baseball player? I mean, is that up for debate?

Meanwhile, I’m the one that actually has a point and you are one flinging personal insults. Cool cool.

Turn Off Ads?