Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45

Thread: Movember Awareness

  1. #1
    Probably not Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    7,471

    Movember Awareness

    For those unaware about Movember, but its a foundation to support men's health awareness. I am coming from it from the angle of "mental health awareness" after a bout with alopecia, caused by a lifelong, chronic anxiety disorder, that I was unaware of until the spotty hair loss began. Because I cannot grow facial hair at this time, I am challenging myself by running 180km (about 113 miles) this month to help spread awareness and raise funds. The rest of my story and ability to donate is at the link below. Please considering support, and sharing, if my story resonates with you. Thanks for your time - Jamie.



    https://mobro.co/13813574?mc=5

  2. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (11-23-2018),dabvu2498 (11-05-2018),kaldaniels (11-19-2018),Larry Schuler (11-19-2018),Redsfaithful (11-05-2018),RFS62 (11-11-2018),RiverRat13 (11-19-2018),Roy Tucker (11-19-2018),WrongVerb (11-05-2018)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #2
    Probably not Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    7,471

    Re: Movember Awareness

    A little update here. The Calgary flames hosted me on their flames television program that airs during the intermissions at the stadium to talk about the cause. The link of the interview can be found below:

    https://csec.screenlight.tv/shares/N...jW2PBslKecZw3U


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  5. #3
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    19,223

    Re: Movember Awareness

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    For those unaware about Movember, but its a foundation to support men's health awareness. I am coming from it from the angle of "mental health awareness" after a bout with alopecia, caused by a lifelong, chronic anxiety disorder, that I was unaware of until the spotty hair loss began. Because I cannot grow facial hair at this time, I am challenging myself by running 180km (about 113 miles) this month to help spread awareness and raise funds. The rest of my story and ability to donate is at the link below. Please considering support, and sharing, if my story resonates with you. Thanks for your time - Jamie.



    https://mobro.co/13813574?mc=5
    I've never heard of this condition so you're doing well bringing attention to it. You've motivated me to learn more about it.

    I'm not seeing anything that states that it's caused by chronic anxiety disorder. I found this from the American Academy of Dermatology:

    Alopecia is not contagious. It is not due to nerves. What happens is that the immune system attacks the hair follicles (structures that contain the roots of the hair), causing hair loss. This disease most often occurs in otherwise healthy people.
    https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/...lopecia-areata

    This is from another site:

    Researchers don’t know what triggers the immune system to attack hair follicles, so the exact cause of this condition isn’t known.

    However, it most often occurs in people who have a family history of other autoimmune diseases, such as type 1 diabetes or rheumatoid arthritis. This is why some scientists suspect that genetics may contribute to the development of alopecia areata.

    They also believe that certain factors in the environment are needed to trigger alopecia areata in people who are genetically predisposed to the disease.
    https://www.healthline.com/health/al...-areata#causes

    Then there's this which disputes a cause such as anxiety:

    Despite what many people think, there is very little scientific evidence to support the view that alopecia areata is caused by stress. Extreme cases of stress could potentially trigger the condition, but most recent research points toward a genetic cause.
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/70956.php

    Whatever the cause, good luck with this.

  6. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,026

    Re: Movember Awareness

    Fwiw kid1 suffered from this and we were told it was anxiety induced. Sure enough when we removed the anxiety, the alopecia vanished.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

  7. #5
    Probably not Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    7,471

    Re: Movember Awareness

    Searay- there is not a one size fits all here. There are very much multiple ways this can be caused. Sometimes there is no reason.

    In my case, the bigger discussion is the anxiety disorder, of which I only learned about while stumbling down the path that alopecia caused. Led to conversations with my doctor, dermatologist, and mental health therapists.

    Although they canít 100 percent correlate, they all agree I gave an anxiety disorder, and was in a period of life with significant anxiety stressors, so it adds up.

    Again, the alopecia isnít meant to be the story here. It simply makes me very noticeable and a topic of conversation within my social circle and strangers alike, making it a great platform to use to talk about anxiety and other mental health disorders that I feel are not well understood enough.

    Thanks for the research, Iím glad I was able to get some discussion going on this.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (11-23-2018)

  9. #6
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,560

    Re: Movember Awareness

    Damn Sea Ray Jamie bares his soul on here and you just come and piss all over it.

    Keep fighting the good fight Jamie!

  10. #7
    Probably not Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    7,471

    Re: Movember Awareness

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Damn Sea Ray Jamie bares his soul on here and you just come and piss all over it.

    Keep fighting the good fight Jamie!
    No itís ok Kal. I didnít take it like that. Maybe he would have been better served posting that via pm, but itís ok to be inquisitive. I want people talking openly, and this is part of it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #8
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,560

    Re: Movember Awareness

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    No it’s ok Kal. I didn’t take it like that. Maybe he would have been better served posting that via pm, but it’s ok to be inquisitive. I want people talking openly, and this is part of it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fair enough.

    I apologize to Sea Ray and all others as I’ve been a bit prickly lately but some of the stuff I’ve read on here lately just wow.

    I know someone that just had a total onset of alopecia and it was theorized it was a genetic/auto immune issue. But stress can play a role and if you say it was triggered by anxiety that works for me.

  12. #9
    Probably not Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    7,471

    Re: Movember Awareness

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Fair enough.

    I apologize to Sea Ray and all others as Iíve been a bit prickly lately but some of the stuff Iíve read on here lately just wow.

    I know someone that just had a total onset of alopecia and it was theorized it was a genetic/auto immune issue. But stress can play a role and if you say it was triggered by anxiety that works for me.
    No need to apologize to me or anyone imo. You are just trying to keep things on the tracks and that is good too. Your information is valuable to the thread.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #10
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    19,223

    Re: Movember Awareness

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Fair enough.

    I apologize to Sea Ray and all others as I’ve been a bit prickly lately but some of the stuff I’ve read on here lately just wow.

    I know someone that just had a total onset of alopecia and it was theorized it was a genetic/auto immune issue. But stress can play a role and if you say it was triggered by anxiety that works for me.
    Kal, I don't understand why you continue to look to pick fights with me. I merely posted facts from reputable sources and yet you make it personal against me. You got your own issues, man.

    I see this as analogous to vaccines for kids. I was reminded in very rude ways by RZers that the research shows no correlation between vaccines and autism in kids, yet I brought up anecdotal evidence from mothers who swear that it absolutely was triggered by a vaccine. RZ gave no credence to those mothers and some like Jenny McCarthy was downright chastised.

    Fellow RZer is analogous to those mothers. He's saying that despite what the AAD says, it is caused by anxiety and stress. I don't know what the answer is by I think we ought not make a blanket statement that it's caused by something if the medical community is not on board. I do not rule out that it can be caused by anxiety just like I don't rule out that vaccines sometimes trigger autism in kids who are vulnerable. I hope Kal and others are as sympathetic to the Jenny McCarthys of the world as he is to our own Patrick Bateman. My guess is the answer will be no because it's personal against SR but I hope I'm wrong.

    Once again: All I did was post sources of information on a disorder about which was brought to our attention in this thread. What's the problem?

  14. #11
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    19,223

    Re: Movember Awareness

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    No need to apologize to me or anyone imo. You are just trying to keep things on the tracks and that is good too. Your information is valuable to the thread.

    I gotta disagree with you here. I wouldn't classify this comment as bringing information to this thread:

    "Damn Sea Ray Jamie bares his soul on here and you just come and piss all over it."

    He complains about "some of the stuff he's read on here lately" yet that post above is toxic on its own. Doesn't stuff like that contribute to the "prickliness" that he's complaining about? I'll tell you what it isn't. It isn't "information".

  15. #12
    Probably not Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    7,471

    Re: Movember Awareness

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I gotta disagree with you here. I wouldn't classify this comment as bringing information to this thread:

    "Damn Sea Ray Jamie bares his soul on here and you just come and piss all over it."

    He complains about "some of the stuff he's read on here lately" yet that post above is toxic on its own. Doesn't stuff like that contribute to the "prickliness" that he's complaining about? I'll tell you what it isn't. It isn't "information".
    I was simply referring to his last paragraph.

    I would ask at this point if you guys have an issue to simply take it private. I have nothing against either of you guys and see what both of you were trying to offer in the thread.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #13
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    11,228

    Re: Movember Awareness

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Kal, I don't understand why you continue to look to pick fights with me. I merely posted facts from reputable sources and yet you make it personal against me. You got your own issues, man.

    I see this as analogous to vaccines for kids. I was reminded in very rude ways by RZers that the research shows no correlation between vaccines and autism in kids, yet I brought up anecdotal evidence from mothers who swear that it absolutely was triggered by a vaccine. RZ gave no credence to those mothers and some like Jenny McCarthy was downright chastised.

    Fellow RZer is analogous to those mothers. He's saying that despite what the AAD says, it is caused by anxiety and stress. I don't know what the answer is by I think we ought not make a blanket statement that it's caused by something if the medical community is not on board. I do not rule out that it can be caused by anxiety just like I don't rule out that vaccines sometimes trigger autism in kids who are vulnerable. I hope Kal and others are as sympathetic to the Jenny McCarthys of the world as he is to our own Patrick Bateman. My guess is the answer will be no because it's personal against SR but I hope I'm wrong.

    Once again: All I did was post sources of information on a disorder about which was brought to our attention in this thread. What's the problem?
    Jenny McCarthy has literally caused people harm with her words. Not comparable at all.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  17. #14
    They call me "chef"
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,023

    Re: Movember Awareness

    Patrick thank you for taking time to help shed light on and bring awareness to the important but often overlooked issue of Sea Ray being a victim.
    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Guys, just stop arguing with him. He will literally never stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    Larry is living the role of the underachiever who's still struggling to get a life so he spends hours upon hours posting worthless bilge on the 'net
    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo!
    I think those are just two separate quotes and not meant to be taken together.

  18. Likes:

    Patrick Bateman (11-19-2018)

  19. #15
    Probably not Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    7,471

    Re: Movember Awareness

    Ya I was going to say that I didn't see the merit in the Jenny McCarthy comparison. In that case we are challenging the treatment and getting into some weird topics. Sure, I have read the same things online Sea Ray has found. There are different opinions out there and I dont think there is a 100% correlation by any means. I can say that the anxiety diagnosis makes sense in hindsight, it just happened to be one path that alopecia could have led to, and wasnt necessarily the only reason I was diagnosed. If anything, there was some healthy skepticism. On another topic, I also get acute iritis that my eye doctor couldn't determine why I would get... he suggested stress too, but we never got far enough down the path that time. Turns out those symptoms have subsided with the anxiety relief too. That was an autoimmune reaction as well. Nobody I am aware of within my family has experienced any of these automimmune disorders either.... so its not a matter of there being an obvious genetic link, and all of those questions were asked in trying to get to the root of the problem.

    What we are seeing here is that there are a lot of hidden mental conditions that people arent well educated on, and can be very challenging to diagnose. I think especially in our society, males are kind of trained to hide their feelings and emotions, and the statistics generally illustrate a higher rate of no diagnosis or late disagnosis. I am using this as an opportunity to tell my story, spread awareness, and maybe increase the comfort level of those that read my message in talking about, being more open about, educating, and maybe it helps some people out. People wont be open unless people talk about their stories.

  20. Likes:

    Larry Schuler (11-19-2018)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | JaxRed | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator