Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 68 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2018-19, part 2: Offense gone wild

NBA 2018-19, part 2: Offense gone wild

We've gone over the limit in the other thread. Time to start a new one. Scoring has exploded, which apparently means the Warriors are an even bigger boss than before. It's getting so that we should expect 50+ a couple of times a week from random players in the league. Jamal Murray almost did it last night. Here's some random picks for guys who should have 50+ nights this season:

Zach LaVine
    Dennis Schroder
    Jaylen Brown
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: NBA 2018-19, part 2: Offense gone wild

Aaron Gordon
    CJ McCollum
    Victor Oladipo

4. Likes:

M2 (11-06-2018)

New thread, new Utah Jazz team. I hope.

Sweet hammering of the Bucks.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Aaron Gordon
    CJ McCollum
    Victor Oladipo
    How about 17-26 for C.J., including 12-15 on mid-range jumpers and 5-10 on 3's? He only got to the line once because he gets so much separation, he couldn't ger fouled, like the wreckage he left on the rookie last night that I am sure will be a shactin-a-fool candidate.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 11-07-2018 at 04:47 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    How about 17-26 for C.J., including 12-15 on mid-range jumpers and 5-10 on 3's? He only git to the line once because he gets so much separation, he couldn't ger fouled, like ths wreckage he left on the rookie last night that I am sure will be a shactin-a-fool candidate.
    Yeah, thought maybe I had gotten post in just in time...

I am now officially referring to Doug McDermott as Buggie McDuckets.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

10. Likes:

Chip R (11-08-2018)

I have never wanted one of my teams to lose more than I want Orlando to lose every game this season. Gotta have one of the Duke guys or Nassir Little. Ideally we would end up with RJ or Zion but Cam or Little wouldn't be bad either. RJ and Zion look like future superstars.

Sixers get their first road win last night via defeating Indiana.

During the game I was wondering (uh oh), with Kentucky also being a basketball state so to speak, why do they not have an NBA team??

Joel Embiid has become the first player in franchise history through the first 12 games to have 20 points and 10 rebounds in at least 10 contests since Wilt Chamberlain accomplished the same statistic during the 1965-66 season.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

13. Likes:

M2 (11-09-2018)

Ok, after the start to the season, here are my thoughts on everything Sixers:

1) Joel Embiid could fall out of bed and record a 20-point/10-board double-double. But his passing is coming along much like the jump shot of...

2) Ben Simmons. Saw last night that his jump shot percentage is something like 8% this season. He's still a threat to post a triple-double every night and his defense, which was already good, has improved but needs to develop a shot. Teams are also starting to adjust to his handle-drives so that's affecting his turnover rate just as the Sixers not shooting well from deep is affecting his assist rate. One guy who is shooting really well is...

3) Landry Shamet. He's acquitting himself quite nicely in the rotation and given the state of the bench, absolutely deserves his minutes. Shamwow has a solid all-around game and his shot reminds me of a baby version of Klay. It may be time to insert him into the starting lineup to give that group more shooting and allow a straight-up rotation switch to bring in Reddick and sub out Simmons for...

4) Markelle Fultz. He's not there yet, but we're seeing flashes. The reason I'd like him to come off the bench is that he can be dynamic with the ball in his hands, but he hasn't taken a three point shot in four games. If he's not seen as even a threat to shoot from distance, that completely messes with the spacing when Simmons and Fultz are on the floor at the same time; allowing the defense to collapse on Embiid and clogging passing lanes. That increases turnovers and keeps the ball away from one of the only hot shooters on the team...

5) Robert Covington. Off to a hot start for a change (.414 from distance), Covington has also been a defensive menace. Last night he was absolutely everywhere. Covington is posting career highs in both steals and blocked shots. The Sixers definitely need him to stay hot because of...

6) Dario Saric. Coming off a long offseason of playing international ball, the rumor is that his legs are a bit tired. That makes sense because the most heard word when Saric shoots is "Short!". Homie had a good game last night, but has not been a presence on either side of the floor this season. But he hasn't been as bad as...

7) The bench. Garbage. Amir Johnson is terrible as usual. Wilson Chandler is healthy now, but I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing. T.J. McConnell is getting no minutes at all, but he's just happy to be there. Furkan Korkmaz is apparently not happy playing McConnell's minutes (still 0). Mike Muscala is an end-of-bench guy. I'd be one thing to have a thin bench, but have real quality on it. However, that's not where the Sixers are and it infuriates me that the fall-back plan to "star-hunting" in the offseason was to put together this pile of dreck.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

15. Likes:

texasdave (11-08-2018)

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Devin Booker and Kemba Walker will drop 50+ at some point. Possibly Trae Young, too, if he can start hitting those 3s.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Ok, after the start to the season, here are my thoughts on everything Sixers:

1) Joel Embiid could fall out of bed and record a 20-point/10-board double-double. But his passing is coming along much like the jump shot of...

2) Ben Simmons. Saw last night that his jump shot percentage is something like 8% this season. He's still a threat to post a triple-double every night and his defense, which was already good, has improved but needs to develop a shot. Teams are also starting to adjust to his handle-drives so that's affecting his turnover rate just as the Sixers not shooting well from deep is affecting his assist rate. One guy who is shooting really well is...

3) Landry Shamet. He's acquitting himself quite nicely in the rotation and given the state of the bench, absolutely deserves his minutes. Shamwow has a solid all-around game and his shot reminds me of a baby version of Klay. It may be time to insert him into the starting lineup to give that group more shooting and allow a straight-up rotation switch to bring in Reddick and sub out Simmons for...

4) Markelle Fultz. He's not there yet, but we're seeing flashes. The reason I'd like him to come off the bench is that he can be dynamic with the ball in his hands, but he hasn't taken a three point shot in four games. If he's not seen as even a threat to shoot from distance, that completely messes with the spacing when Simmons and Fultz are on the floor at the same time; allowing the defense to collapse on Embiid and clogging passing lanes. That increases turnovers and keeps the ball away from one of the only hot shooters on the team...

5) Robert Covington. Off to a hot start for a change (.414 from distance), Covington has also been a defensive menace. Last night he was absolutely everywhere. Covington is posting career highs in both steals and blocked shots. The Sixers definitely need him to stay hot because of...

6) Dario Saric. Coming off a long offseason of playing international ball, the rumor is that his legs are a bit tired. That makes sense because the most heard word when Saric shoots is "Short!". Homie had a good game last night, but has not been a presence on either side of the floor this season. But he hasn't been as bad as...

7) The bench. Garbage. Amir Johnson is terrible as usual. Wilson Chandler is healthy now, but I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing. T.J. McConnell is getting no minutes at all, but he's just happy to be there. Furkan Korkmaz is apparently not happy playing McConnell's minutes (still 0). Mike Muscala is an end-of-bench guy. I'd be one thing to have a thin bench, but have real quality on it. However, that's not where the Sixers are and it infuriates me that the fall-back plan to "star-hunting" in the offseason was to put together this pile of dreck.

Nicely done, Steel!

Regarding the bench, it's likely only a matter of when (and not if) reinforcements arrive via trade/buyouts or both, even factoring in Zaire Smith's impact. I have no objection to acquiring both Chandler and Muscala - to a certain extent (see below) - in isolation. But when Tyreke Evans (and impact bench-players of the like) were there for the taking in the off-season, it's indefensible that Chandler and Muscala - of whom they over-payed (TLC and Justin Anderson) for - proved to be the extent of veteran bench reinforcement acquisitions. Why jettison Richaun Holmes and resign A. Johnson when Holmes would have given the franchise more bang for the buck?

In the end, the 76ers organization has liquidated (for lack of a better term) Nerlens Noel and TLC into Mike Muscala, cash (Juwon Evans drafted and sent to the Clips) and a '20 second rounder. Terrible asset management. Have to believe that Colangelo's mishandling of the then-excess big men (Noel and Okafor) dilemma has played a part in this current overall roster imbalance/relatively weak bench predicament.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Sixers get their first road win last night via defeating Indiana.

During the game I was wondering (uh oh), with Kentucky also being a basketball state so to speak, why do they not have an NBA team??

Joel Embiid has become the first player in franchise history through the first 12 games to have 20 points and 10 rebounds in at least 10 contests since Wilt Chamberlain accomplished the same statistic during the 1965-66 season.

The NBA wasn't going to accept both Indy and Louisville during the merger. Indy won out due to the fact that it was (and still is) a much larger market. IIRC, there was talk at the time of the two teams merging as the Indiana Pacers - with the Pacers also playing games in Louisville, just like the previous Boston Celtics and Hartford arrangement. It's unclear whether John Y. Brown simply choose the NBA franchise buyout (which he used to later purchase the Buffalo Braves then parlayed into Boston Celtics ownership) or the NBA brass was against the merging of the Pacers and Colonels due to John Y. Brown's capital and the addition of Artis Gilmore and company to Billy Knight, Don Buse and a young Dan Roundfield in Indy producing a franchise/team that could have possibly competed for the whole enchilada right away.

As the decades past, as far as placing the wheels in motion for an NBA Louisville franchise, nothing has really been done until recently. I'm not going to flat-out declare that an NBA team in Louisville will never come to fruition, but it faces long odds due to TV market size among other issues in a race against against virtually every other expansion contender.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

19. Likes:

goreds2 (11-09-2018)

Speaking of pace:

Milwaukee @ Portland: 1:53

Don't remember the last time I saw a game go this fast. Literally might be three or four decades.

21. Likes:

goreds2 (11-09-2018),Revering4Blue (11-09-2018)

Another double-digit win for Portland. This time against the #3 Net Rating team, the Clippers.

Turn Off Ads?