Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Could Add Multiple Pitchers To Rotation

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Re: Reds Could Add Multiple Pitchers To Rotation

We've always been hesitant to make the commitments at the very top end of the market because they have a lot more risk carried with them. We'll chase down as many different options as we can. Historically, we've been careful about that top end of the market.
    And the Pollack signing should relieve any pressure to go after even the mid-level guys. Nicely done.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    The Reds are a tertiary market. Overspending cannot make it otherwise.
    They tend to get away with claiming regular spending is overspending. I don't think this team merits much investment, because it's not close, but get ready for minimal progress (if any).
    Last edited by M2; 11-17-2018 at 09:19 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

How would people prioritize Stroman, Gray, Paxton and Harvey?

Personally I wouldn't give up Greene, Senzel or Trammell for any of them. I'm wary about short pitchers who've run into rough patches (mainly referring to Stroman and Gray).

However if they were available for that next tier of prospect(s), I'd be all over it- Paxton especially.
    Go BLUE!!!

I like Paxton but wouldn't even consider giving up the top tier of prospects for him.

He's only got two years of control left and he's never made more than 28 starts or pitched more than 160 innings. He'd instantly be our best starter but not worth unloading the farm for at all. He could be awesome or he could be Erik Bedard 2.0.

I'd be on board for Sonny Gray but it would have to be truly as a "buy low" kind of thing. Recent struggles, one year of control, the prospect cost would need to be pretty low. One thought on Sonny Gray - would he be amenable to acontract extension? Give the guy a little security at a time when he's been struggling and build in some more control at a hopefully reasonable price. Just thinking out loud.

I don't have a strong opinion on Stroman but like the others, his team control is dwindling and he had an absolutely terrible 2018. If the price is right sure, but don't even consider the top tier of prospects.

Harvey would cost nothing in terms of prospects and could potentially benefit from Derek Johnson as his pitching coach, but the money would have to be right. I wouldn't be against bringing him back as long as he's not the centerpiece of the offseason or expected to anchor the rotation in any way.

I really wish The Reds would make a run at Corbin or Eovaldi but I'll believe that when I see it.
    Last edited by The Operator; 11-17-2018 at 11:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

6. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (11-18-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post

Personally I wouldn't give up Greene, Senzel or Trammell for any of them. I'm wary about short pitchers who've run into rough patches (mainly referring to Stroman and Gray).

However if they were available for that next tier of prospect(s), I'd be all over it- Paxton especially.
    Stroman, Paxton, Gray, Harvey would be my order. Wouldn't touch the top three prospects for any pitcher with less than three years of control. Whole lot of guys I'd move India or Santillan to get.

"We're comfortable giving multi-year contracts if that's what it takes"... I mean, that's table stakes, right? Like, if you aren't willing to give players multiple year contracts, then you aren't willing to sign good players. The fact that he felt it was insightful to provide that clarification is a bit unnerving.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

9. Likes:

Always Red (11-18-2018),malcontent (11-18-2018),REDREAD (11-19-2018),RiverRat13 (11-18-2018),The Operator (11-18-2018)

I hope the player involved for Sonny Gray, should that go down, is not Jeter Downs.

11. Likes:

mth123 (11-18-2018),REDREAD (11-19-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I hope the player involved for Sonny Gray, should that go down, is not Jeter Downs.
    No kidding. IMO, Downs is the 2B of the future. Not Long, Senzel or Gennett. Gennett in 2019, Senzel in RF as the NLs answer to Mookie Betts and Long and whatever stopgap they need until Downs is ready. Maybe Peraza while the Reds go after a real SS.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

13. Likes:

REDREAD (11-19-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    No kidding. IMO, Downs is the 2B of the future. Not Long, Senzel or Gennett. Gennett in 2019, Senzel in RF as the NLs answer to Mookie Betts and Long and whatever stopgap they need until Downs is ready. Maybe Peraza while the Reds go after a real SS.
    I hope everyone isn't putting unreasonable expectations on him, because when he fails to achieve that mark people will turn on him quickly (like they did with Jay Bruce).
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

15. Likes:

drowg14 (11-18-2018)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I’d say pretty much the order you listed them in. Maybe Harvey over Paxton tbough, because he’s such a big risk for such a short period of time that would require burning down the farm.

Stroman, I feel you could potentially get with a deal starting with like maybe India and Santillan.

If they got Stroman, traded Scooter and/or a middling prospect for Gray, and maybe signed a Harvey tier guy, I might actually naively have a little optimism for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Really? You're a lot higher on him than I am then. And I hope you're the one who's right!
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Really? You're a lot higher on him than I am then. And I hope you're the one who's right!
    I have him at 6 on my personal list behind Senzel, Trammell, Greene, Santillan and Stephenson.

I like the idea of him moving from top to bottom on the defensive spectrum rather than trying to force a 3B or C to move up into that spot.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I’d say pretty much the order you listed them in. Maybe Harvey over Paxton tbough, because he’s such a big risk for such a short period of time that would require burning down the farm.

Stroman, I feel you could potentially get with a deal starting with like maybe India and Santillan.

If they got Stroman, traded Scooter and/or a middling prospect for Gray, and maybe signed a Harvey tier guy, I might actually naively have a little optimism for next season.
    Good God, if you've got to give up TWO Top 100 Prospects in baseball for a guy with a 5.50 ERA last year who was also injured I'm not trading anyone. I'll just go to battle with what I've got.

20. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (11-18-2018),dubc47834 (11-18-2018),HokieRed (11-18-2018),RedTeamGo! (11-18-2018),Tuff Nut (11-18-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Good God, if you've got to give up TWO Top 100 Prospects in baseball for a guy with a 5.50 ERA last year who was also injured I'm not trading anyone. I'll just go to battle with what I've got.
    Two top 100 prospects sounds super exciting. Gets a lot less fantastic when you get specific and find out it's India and Santillan. I'd probably resist moving both of them together for only two years of control, but neither of them strike me as keepers.

22. Likes:

OhioRiverBarge (11-18-2018)

As long as we're prioritizing, how would we rank Gonzalez and Lynn in relation to these? [I pick those two names as guys likely to be in our price range.] Personally, for the numbers I've seen, I'd rather have Gio than any of the above and probably then Harvey--and/or Lynn--keeping our prospects.

Turn Off Ads?